Best Value in Used Compound Bows

Rodéo

WKR
Don't know much about the used bow market other than it's pretty sizable since many people like upgrading to a new bow pretty often.
I bought my first bow , a PSE Stinger X, late last year and I have gotten very familiar with it. I like the bow and am going to hunt with it this season but I'm looking to buy a project bow so I can learn to do the build myself.

I'm thinking I want to get a used flagship bow from one of the top companies (hoyt,prime,bowtech, etc) from the last 5 years or so and do a complete build on it for the 2020 season.

Since most of you guys have a lot more experience than I do in the archery world and with buying used/new compounds, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction in terms of best value for a used flagship bow.

My assumption is there hasn't been a huge jump in bow technology from one year to the next in the last five or so years (please let me know if I'm wrong).

If you were in the market for a used compound to do a build on from the last five years and you were looking at $400-500 for the bare bow what would you choose and why? My price range is a rough guess based on some ebay scouting I've done recently. If I'm off on how much it's going to cost me, please let me know how much I'm gonna be looking at for a bare bow.

Thanks as always,

Rod

The Primes seem to sell a bit cheaper because of the draw specific cams, if your certain on your draw length I’d say grab one of them. You can pick up a Centergy Hybrid in that price range and that’s an excellent bow

Not exactly sure what your meaning by a bow build? If any of the older bowtechs with the aluminum in the lamination I would swap the limbs on them to something like barnesdale. Other than that I wouldn't do anything other than good strings on them. You can certainly go wild with changing cam systems and everything but I would just get a bow with the cam system you prefer already.

Curious what others think on this. What are your ideas?

nphunter

WKR
The Primes seem to sell a bit cheaper because of the draw specific cams, if your certain on your draw length I’d say grab one of them. You can pick up a Centergy Hybrid in that price range and that’s an excellent bow

I would also agree with the Primes being the best deal but only if you know your exact draw length, they also run around 1/2” long typically.

nphunter

WKR
Personally I would pick up a 2014 Hoyt if I wanted a sweet bow for a good price. The Z5 is a great cam and the bows had great specs that year. The Faktor 34, Carbon Spyder 34 or either one of those in a Turbo model are awesome bows. They didn’t actually use a turbo cam those years the just switched limbs to shorten the brace height.

I bought a 14 Carbon Spyder Turbo new and have yet to find a better shooting bow for me to date. I’ve shot all the new bows every year since and haven’t picked one up that made me want to put down mine since. I was buying a new bow every year or two prior.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Not on your list but my pick for best bang for the buck would a used Darton. Excellent bows with terrible resale value! Rex knows how to make a bow he just know how to sell one!!

The older Primes are great bows, the Rize specifically. Even the 2017 Centergys are going for around your price range. My buddy had the same budget as you and I found him an Elite Energy 35 which turned out to be an awesome shooter. I would look at Elite, Prime, and Mathews.

You could get another PSE, they are super easy to work on and adjust. Plus you are already familiar with them

nphunter

WKR
The Stothers are also great bows and Moxie offered components for most of them. I have had a couple and currently have my son shooting one.

87TT

WKR
I would suggest a Hoyt Powermax. Almost as fast and quiet as their "better" bows. Should be able to find a used one for your price range. Can adjust the draw without pressing. When I say used, I mean maybe a year old.

The Elite bows are a great bow and are all over the used market in your price range right now because of a falling out with their customer base. I’d also look at Bear flagship bows - Anarchy, Agenda, Method, BR33, Kuma - all are great bows and can be had under your budget because they don’t hold resale value well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really like the Prime Rival (35" Axle to Axle, which I like at a 29" and up draw length). You should find one for $400 or so. Made from 2015-2016 if I remember right. I bought one new in '16 and picked up a second one (backup) last year in that price range. The Rize is very similar, just 33" long and was made in '16 and '17. Same cams, etc. As stated they are draw length specific. Good luck.

netman

WKR
I’m glad the OP asked about buying a used bow. I’m in the same exact position as he. I refuse to pay top dollar for a bow and a year later they are worth about half. Another year and worth little to nothing.
I’ve been on Archerytalk.com looking at the classifieds. Guys buy a top dollar boy and have it for sale a week later with a serious price cut. There are some really nice bows over there for sale.
I’m ready to buy but I’m unsure what to buy.
I’ve read a lot of good things about bows mentioned in the above posts.
I’m leaning towards a Halon 32 myself but not fully locked in yet.
Any other suggestions?

2blade

WKR
I'd buy an Xpedition. You can pick up a 1 - 2 yr old bow for about 450. Why? Perfect physical weight, hold rock steady on target, fast as hell, easy to work on and tune very easily.

Last edited:
OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of doing a build in terms of putting on the strings and cables myself and setting up all of the accessories myself. I recently joined an archery club and have access to a bow press so I want to take full advantage of that and learn more about compound bows by putting all the pieces together. Nothing too crazy like replacing limbs or cams are in my plans at this point though. @Billy Goat

Last edited:
OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
@willfrye027 I am not opposed to picking up another PSE since the bow I have now is supposed to be there 'lower end' model and I'm shooting very well with it for a new archer imo (about 1 inch groups every 10 yds out to 50 yds). Not familiar with there flagship bows though, any suggestions in that regard? What year & model are PSE really known for?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Thanks for you input to the guys who suggested the Prime & Elite bows as well. They look like solid bows at a very good value. I had no idea about the recent falling out with the customer base for Elite but I guess that's good news for guys in my position.

Last edited:
OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
@GMC Never heard of Darton but like I said, I'm new to this. Any model in particular I should look at?

I’d second that nod for Xpedition. You can go the used route and pick up just about anything that would shoot just as good as any other bow on the market. Hell you can even grab one of their Pro 6 or 7 models and have a brand new bow with the warranty for under $550 to your door.

You can get used E35 right now for like $300. One of the best bows ever made and they are selling dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk