Best Value in Used Compound Bows

I’m no PSE expert. I had a brute X for a while and I thought it was a good value, but I have not shot their flagship models. I sold it and shoot traditional now. Personally I think the bow is not that important when it comes down to killing something, but I totally get the appeal of having a nice bow that you love to shoot.

$400-500 can get you a really nice used bow, probably 1-3 years old. I know others have mention it but bows with draw length specific cams are usually a bit cheaper. If you know your true draw length it helps a lot for those bows.

Some bow companies seem to hold their value a little better. Mathews and Hoyt hold their value the best, in my experience.

I saw Xpedition mentioned previously and I would definitely echo that. A one year old model can be found about half MSRP.

Athens makes a great bow and they can be found for a very reasonable price. They are draw length specific cams though, which has never stopped me from buying a bow, but some people don't like it.

A Darton 3800 is a fantastic bow and you can find one for about $250-300.

Get on Archery Talk if you aren't already. Cruise the classifieds and get a feel for what bows are actually selling for not what some are asking for. Find a bow that you like the specs on and go for it.

Working on your own equipment is going to make you a better archer and hunter, so good on you and good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Darton owns the patent on the Hoyt cam system as far as I'm aware. I'm not certain if Hoyt has changed their cams in the past few years to get away from that or not. Used to be the case anyway.

To echo what someone else said I would at least look at Bear. I took them for granted until a friend told me to take one of his and try it. I played with it for a week then I have now purchased 2. I have kinda jumped ship from Hoyt now. They are good bows but too much money and I was finding them harder and harder to tune. This Kuma is the easiest thing I have ever tuned and it cost me 2 fps from what I was getting with a Hoyt defiant turbo. Same draw length on draw board and same poundage. I bought a new Kuma, stripped it, and had it dipped in the camo I wanted. Less money in it than any of the other bows.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched from Bowtech to a Mathews. Lots of 1-3 year old Mathews bows out there for right around 500.00
I just picked up a 2018 Halon 32 for 525 shipped.

You might look at, the 2014 PSE, DNA SP, model, 31" ATA, Good IBO speed, $350 -$400 and lots of them, to choose from, on Ebay ( Love mine ! ) . The 2013 DNA, was bow of the Year in 2013 and the 2014 SP model, is quite a bit, SMOOTHER to pull, almost as fast and way better, Valley ! The The 2015 Decree, 35" ATA bow is also, nice if want a longer Bow. Since the 2014- 2015 Bows, are a bit older, now,.. I'd put a good Catfish Customs String on one, for about, $85.00 ! Mike's "choice" of String Material, IS shootin', SWEET for me ! With only, a 1 to 2 Week, delivery time, what a "Deal" ! Good luck with your choice and have Fun !

This is a great question. I too am in a very similar situation. I'm currently shooting a 2014 hoyt ignite and would like to upgraid but there is no way I'm going to drop the cash for a new flagship at this point. Being in Canada most bows are a bit more expensive. I'm also a bit nervous of buying used online, is there anything a guy should watch for when buying a used bow online. Are there any specific pictures you might ask for to tell the shape and condition of the bow?

LaGriz

WKR
"@@GMC Never heard of Darton but like I said, I'm new to this. Any model in particular I should look at?"

Darton was once a big name in the industry. For what its worth....I shot a Darton Maverick that belonged to a friend once that was a pretty smooth shooting bow. I think it might have been a solo-cam configuration. Was a good while ago and I'm not too sure.
I do remember being impressed with the quality and performance at the time.

LaGriz

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I really appreciate the feedback everybody! This has been very helpful so far. I'm leaning towards bows with a slightly longer ATA than my current setup (PSE Stinger X), so I'm thinking at 33"-34" ATA.

In your guy's experience, is that too long for a hunting bow?

I'm also trying to shoot arrows that are over 500 grains so I want a set up that's around 335-350 FPS IBO. That would have my arrows shooting about 245 FPS at my current draw weight/length.
Been looking at some deals online for the Prime Rize and Hoyt defiant turbo (even though it's a shorter ATA). Those look like some quality bows for around $400-500

Zac

WKR
KSL Classifieds have loads of bows. Some not mentioned yet are Bowtech Realm X, and Mathews Chill models. Garrett Weaver from On Point has worked extensively to provide info on budget setups, you could check him out.

87TT

WKR
Another thing you need to factor in is you will probably want to put on a new string and cables. I have no first hand info on it but have been steered away from the turbo by a few people including shop owners who sell Hoyt. Not as easy to handle for the small increase in speed. That said I picked up a brand new Pro Defiant for $700. It was new old stock. Still some stuff around. I also have a Powermax that shoots just as good and only a few FPS difference. Check the reviews on whatever you land on. I set up the Pro Defiant by myself and tuned it. Never shot better. Good luck.

netman

WKR
I gave a guy a “I’ll take it” on a Halon 32 on AT. Waiting on him to acknowledge me to get the funds on the way. Looking forward to shooting a fairly new bow compared to my Ben Pearson Diamondback. The Diamondback has killed a pile of deer but time to move into the present.

I really appreciate the feedback everybody! This has been very helpful so far. I'm leaning towards bows with a slightly longer ATA than my current setup (PSE Stinger X), so I'm thinking at 33"-34" ATA.

In your guy's experience, is that too long for a hunting bow?

I'm also trying to shoot arrows that are over 500 grains so I want a set up that's around 335-350 FPS IBO. That would have my arrows shooting about 245 FPS at my current draw weight/length.
Been looking at some deals online for the Prime Rize and Hoyt defiant turbo (even though it's a shorter ATA). Those look like some quality bows for around $400-500

Check out Xpedition Denali 34 ata almost 7 inch bh and ibo 345.

For me, its the perfect hunting bow.

Also check out Athens Altitude 33 ata 6 bh 342 ibo.

Both those models can be found for 400-500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
@doncarpenter Thanks for the specific recommendations! These bows look great! I'll be on the look out for a good price.

Wellsdw

WKR
@GMC Never heard of Darton but like I said, I'm new to this. Any model in particular I should look at?

Darton has sold many many patients to the "big boys" over the years. The list i saw somewhere was really jaw dropping. The company just doesnt market well. All R & D no mass production.

DS 3800
Maverick II

Both are awesome

I shoot a HCA X12 right now. Damn near stole the bow. I love it, its a true work horse, Great components, (barnesdale limbs, stone mtn strings.) Ive beat the hell out of it and it stays true.

After reading through this thread, maybe I should upgrade from my 2003 Bowtech Pro38? Got new strings, but it could always be my back up. Following this one, thanks for starting OP

fatlander

WKR
Compound bows are like flavors of ice cream and they depreciate about as fast as ice cream melts on a summer day. Buy a used bow that you like on archery talk or even here. You need to get out and shoot a bunch of bows to figure out what you like. In the past, I have bought flagship bows for half price the following year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk