Best value on 0 and 20 degree bags

Not the cheapest, but the best value.

Idaho mountain camping late October.
I'll be in a SO 4 person tipi
Have a klymit insulated static v pad.
Looking for a treated down fill.

What's the best value in 0 deg and 20 deg bags right now? I don't like to sleep cold but will totally wear my base layers at night. I'm most likely going to be in a 0 degree bag, but might end up in the 2p deg range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
REI actually has 2 models of the magma. One is rated at 10* and the other (which I am lucky enough to own) is rated for -20*.

I got mine on clearance for $300.

KurtR

WKR
I have been using the outdoor vitals for that exact season the last two years with that sleeping pad in a cimaron and been nice and warm

Jim Flint

FNG
The Magma is what I have been using. I got it during a sale. Had I paid full price, I would still say it is an excellent value.

MtnMuley

WKR
I run several bags including high end Marmot and Montbell bags in the 15-30 degree F ratings. I recently was in the same boat as you and wanted a 0 degree bag in a long with room to move, yet as light as possible without spending $1K. Found a great deal on a Nemo Sonic 0 degree bag in long under 3# with 850 fill down. It has stretch around the knees and a couple zippered baffles around the chest make the bag more of a 10/15 degree bag. At well under $300, I'm very impressed.

OP
silverbullet555
I run several bags including high end Marmot and Montbell bags in the 15-30 degree F ratings. I recently was in the same boat as you and wanted a 0 degree bag in a long with room to move, yet as light as possible without spending $1K. Found a great deal on a Nemo Sonic 0 degree bag in long under 3# with 850 fill down. It has stretch around the knees and a couple zippered baffles around the chest make the bag more of a 10/15 degree bag. At well under $300, I'm very impressed.
Interesting that the long can be found cheaper than the standard.

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Marmot Helium in the classifieds for sale, used one night.

I would throw north face cats meow into the mix. I have owned 3 in 25 years and they are probably the best value going for a 20* bag. Also a Montbell burrow bag. Stretchy seems offer s bit more room. Both can be had for about $125-150. I recently bought a Nemo forte. Love the fit but haven’t had the weather to test it out yet.

hawk45

FNG
REI bags are really nice and if you ever have a problem, bring it in and get a new one, no questions asked.

OP
silverbullet555
REI bags are really nice and if you ever have a problem, bring it in and get a new one, no questions asked.
That definitely keeps me looking there. As I understand it, their return policy applies to anything bought there, not just their brand.

ndbuck09

WKR
I would say a 20 degree bag here in Idaho for October would be the ticket. For the nights that it's going to the 10 degree mark or so, you can just wear your layers in the bag. But there are a lot of times that it'll be in the 30s as well so you're not smoked out and not carrying a heavier bag than you need. I've worn my base layer, puffy jacket and pants and thick stalking socks with gloves before in the 10's with a 20 degree zpacks 20 sleeping bag (which in my opinion is shouldnt be sold as a 20 degree bag, more like a 30) and I was toasty.

LaHunter

WKR
WM will not be the cheapest, but the quality is excellent. I have seen it down to the single digits in mid Oct in WY, so I would lean more towards a 0 degree bag for late Oct, if you are planning to buy only 1 bag