Best way to add weight to the front of the arrow

PhillyB

WKR
Hey everyone-
I am curious as to the best way to add weight to the front of an arrow.

I shoot Beman Hunter Elite arrows and my FOC is 8.25%. I have 100 grain broad heads and don't want to switch to 125g heads if I am not 100% sure it will change my broad head flight.

My inserts are already glued in so I can't go with a heavier insert.

So I was looking at the the Goldtip screw in weights in the 20g variety. Does anyone know if those weighted tips fit all inserts, esp Beman, or they exclusive to the Goldtip brand?

Second, do those weights screw into the insert then the BH screws into that?

Just looking to see if increasing my FOC changes my consistency at longer distances without having to buy broad heads to test it.

Thanks in advance

BrentC

FNG
You could just buy field points and test it out that way. That's what I did even though it's not exactly what you were asking.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah - 125 gr. field points are the cheapest and best option for testing. If you decide you like the heavier FOC I don't think the screw in weights will work though because the weights have to screw into the back of the insert. Maybe with a reeeeaaally long allen wrench? A cheaper option than aftermarket weights is to tap your inserts thru with an 8-32 tap then use loctite to secure 8-32 set screws or cap screws in the back of the insert before you glue them in. You may not be able to use cap screws due to the larger head diameter depending on diameter of the shafts you're using. You can get them in a variety of lengths and weights at a decent hardware store. I used to do this with my A/C/C 3/49's and 3/60's. Most inserts have enough room to do this, but with some you have to be careful about the depth you set the screws at. Check it with a field point AND your broadhead before you glue them in to be sure. Otherwise you may end up grinding off some of the ferrule on your broadhead to get them to screw all the way in. I learned the hard way that field points and broadhead ferrules are not always the exact same length!

My experience with more FOC has yielded better results up to about 150 grains of point weight. 150 seems to shoot best in my setups, your results may differ.

Coop

J-Daddy

WKR
I'm not sure if the back of the Beman inserts are threaded or not...Honestly I don't think they are but I haven't built any Bemans for years...GoldTip does make a tool to insert them from the nock end "it's like a 3' long allen wrench". I've used the Gold Tip weights in Gold Tip arrows "ofcourse", Harvest Time HT-2's & Carbon Express Mayhems. I'm running 50gr GT insert weights in my Gold Tip Velocity 300's and it really made a huge difference in the groups & flight with them...I'm a fan of higher FOC now days.

Comparing flight with 100 gr and 125 gr field points would be the easiest method. I would "assume" that the same broadhead in a heavier weight would fly pretty much the same as its lighter cousin does, although you would have to test to be sure.

What kind of broadhead do you shoot? Do you know anyone who shoots the heavier version of it, maybe you could borrow one or two him/her to test with?

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I had this problem with Easton Axis arrows, and the HIT insert will not accomodate any modifications after install. Beeman is made by Easton, so the insert could be the same. I contemplated using some slow-set epoxy, possibly JB Weld. My idea was to cut brass screws to the appropriate grain weigth, then put a small dab of epoxy on the tip of the weight. Get a long 1/8" dowl and push the weight in from the nock end with the dowel and let dry. I haven't tried yet. I was so disgruntled by the lack of modification in Easton arrows, I wanted to switch to Gold Tip. But my bow will just not shoot the GT's. I set up a couple of GT's that were the same spine, grain weight, FOC, and length. They would not fly well, and gave poor paper tear results. My bow loves the Easton Axis though, so Im stuck.

J-Daddy

WKR
I've played with going from a 100gr to a 125gr and never noticed much difference in group sizes other than just a little arrow drop from the added weight....For me stuff didn't start showing alot of change until I went back to a 100gr head and then added the 50gr weight to the back of the the insert..With my current arrow setup a 100gr head, insert & 50gr weight puts me at about 161grs roughly on the front of the arrow and that makes a difference.

weaver

WKR
I use the gold tip 50gr screw in weights. Install and remove with the long wrench. Works well for me. Dont know if it would work with bemans.

JG358

WKR
I had this problem with Easton Axis arrows, and the HIT insert will not accomodate any modifications after install.

Use Hot Melt instead of the epoxy. Then you can play with different inserts. I switch between 50gr brass inserts and the standard 16gr alluminium ones all the time.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Use Hot Melt instead of the epoxy. Then you can play with different inserts. I switch between 50gr brass inserts and the standard 16gr alluminium ones all the time.

Good point JG - you can use hot melt (low temp) on these with a little finesse - just dont overheat the shaft or you will burn the epoxy out of the carbon. You can screw the insert onto a field point or broadhead ferrule to the same depth as the plastic tool sets them and use the point to push the hot insert instead of the plastic tool provided by easton.