Best way to adjust 3rd axis

oxberger

FNG
What is the best / most accurate way to adjust 3rd axis ... to make the adjustment at the bubble (ie the new cbe tek hybrid) or back on the "rail"/dovetail with a block (ie the cbe tek hunter)

Or does it not really matter where it is done.

Hardstalk

WKR
Full draw on a hooter shooter. Find a shop that has a hooter shooter. They should know what there doing.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Aaron Snyder did a "level your third axis" video. Go to home page, video --> archery,

Hope that helps.

J-Daddy

WKR
Hamskea tool is the way to go...as far as doing it on a Hooter Shooter, I don't really agree with that because the Hooter can not simulate the way you grip the bow and the torque you induce into the grip.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hamskea is the ticket. Even a $1000 hooter shooter doesn't mimic your specific hand torque or pressure.

OR Archer

WKR
Definitely use a Hamskea 3rd axis level. In addition to Aron's video go to the Hamskea website and watch Tim Gillingham explain 3rd axis. Great videos with a wealth of knowledge.

sk1

WKR
maybe a dumb question, but the demonstration is at full draw aiming down.....is it possible you torque or shift the bow entirely different aiming up? thus your screwed if your torque down vs up is different? i dont know if that makes any sense, but it does in my head lol.

OR Archer

WKR
maybe a dumb question, but the demonstration is at full draw aiming down.....is it possible you torque or shift the bow entirely different aiming up? thus your screwed if your torque down vs up is different? i dont know if that makes any sense, but it does in my head lol.

When I set the 3rd axis on my sight I do it aiming upward. Once I have it set I will verify it by aiming down. Haven't seen it change from aiming up to down. I also recheck my 2nd axis after setting my 3rd for good measure.

ckleeves

WKR

I understand what your saying and it wouldn't hurt to check both ways, but if your off one way then you need to work on your grip and form. I personally struggle with steep uphill shots but I just trust the level.

sk1

WKR
yeah i realize you could have form issues if it differs from up to down, it was just a thought though.....i could definitely see this as being possible. When I did my 3rd axis adjustment i did it with instruction from the guys at my pro-shop as i didnt know what i was doing.....i remember aiming down at full draw, cant remember if i aimed up at all.....will check things out again this year for sure!

ckleeves

WKR
I always practice some extreme angle shots also, it really gives you a confidence boost rather than just setting it and then telling yourself it's good.

ckleeves

WKR
If it's an aiming thing, bow arm jack hammer, shorten your draw length by about 1/8" and try again.

I should have said that better, I cant pretty bad and have to trust the level even though it feels way off. I know it doesn't have much to do with third axis leveling, I guess I was just confessing lol.