Best way to carry bow in backcountry?

TheCoyote

FNG
Im curious to know if anyone out there has found a great solution for carrying a bow while backpacking?
My bow is clunky and unwieldy, the sight gets bumped, cams get chipped, strings rub on every bush I pass. I have not found a great place to put it while packing around on steep country. Anyone have a good method that allows access to pack and protects the bow?
I have tried strapping it to my pack but I do not like taking it on and off of I need to access the pack and grab another layer.
I looked at Montana Bow sling but I think it might still be swinging around hitting stuff or clanking into trekking poles.
Im thinking about putting it inside the pack or on the load shelf...? I am glassing big country out west the odds of needing quick access to the bow are fairly slim.

rclouse79

WKR
I just hiked about three miles today on a trail to get to our 3D range and tried the Montana bow sling out for the first time. I don’t feel like I discovered the perfect carry configuration, but I did get it to where the straps carried the bow weight and I used my hand to control the bow. I was able to keep good separation between my string and my pant leg, which I am now carful of after destroying a string last year. I think I would have the bow in my hand most of the time while hunting, but I could see where it would be nice for glassing or a long hike out.

OP
TheCoyote

TheCoyote

FNG
The issue I have is carrying the bow while scrambling up rocky slides and/or with trekking poles in hand. I can lash it to my pack which works ok but I have two problems with. One, it is hard to access items in my pack with the bow snugged down tight. And two, the cam hangs down and will take a beating if I sit down, or fall down.

Rob5589

WKR
Various pack builders have a specific bow carrier that will protect the bottom cam and limb tips.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
How about the bow spider? I don't have one but if I archery hunted I would consider that setup.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
I use the Montana Bow Sling. I like it because my bow is ready without having to “carry it” but have the option to use both hands if need be immediately. Two trekking poles would be tough to use with it though, one is ideal.

Kifaru Gun Bearer allows you to use hiking poles and have instant bow access. Might have to sew a longer top tether (nylon strap) as the latest ones were short for how I like the bow to tip forward away from my face.

If you are packing the bow in thick alders or willows I’d get a cover for the string, cables and cams. My old Cabelas neoprene cover works good but does render the bow slow to get ready for a shot. I typically use it when backpacking into an area combined with the Gun Bearer but not when hunting.

I have the Gun Bearer on all three of my Kifaru packs and have used them for bow carrying for over 20 years. Haven’t found anything better.

Last edited:
In my hand during daylight hunting hours or strapped to my pack in the dark hiking in. Missed a few opportunities hiking around with it strapped to my pack. Only way I won’t have it in my hand during legal shoot time is if there’s no physical way to take a shot. (Too steep and need both hands)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sit mine on my shoulders/pack and hold onto the stabilizer. It makes for a bigger “wingspan”, and can get tight in thick timber but I hardly know it’s there and it’s immediately accessible. I don’t wear mine strapped to the pack anymore.

rclouse79

WKR
I sit mine on my shoulders/pack and hold onto the stabilizer. It makes for a bigger “wingspan”, and can get tight in thick timber but I hardly know it’s there and it’s immediately accessible. I don’t wear mine strapped to the pack anymore.
I have played around with this as well. I have yet to find the sweet spot where the sight or something else on the bow isn't poking me. I alternate between five or six carry positions. Left hand string down, left had string up, right hand string down, right hand string up, over my neck, and now the bow sling.

I have played around with this as well. I have yet to find the sweet spot where the sight or something else on the bow isn't poking me. I alternate between five or six carry positions. Left hand string down, left had string up, right hand string down, right hand string up, over my neck, and now the bow sling.
yeah, there are times it can be uncomfortable. Sometimes the riser pokes into what feels like my top vertebrae, and that gets old fast.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The issue I have is carrying the bow while scrambling up rocky slides and/or with trekking poles in hand. I can lash it to my pack which works ok but I have two problems with. One, it is hard to access items in my pack with the bow snugged down tight. And two, the cam hangs down and will take a beating if I sit down, or fall down.
1. Don't access your pack while scrambling up rocky slides.......and always in your hand when hunting and not scrambling up rocky slides.
2. Strap the bow higher so the cam isn't below the bottom of the pack.
3. Take your pack off before sitting down.
4. The bow will still take a beating if you fall down while carrying it even in your hand. Falling down is always a risk in the backcountry.

My bow is 38" ATA so longer than most, so strapping it to my pack is always the last resort. I prefer it in my hand.

If i am hiking in or out and not hunting, i strap it to the back of my pack. This Hoodlum pack is the shit for that amongst other things! If im hiking in or out and hunting season has started, my bow is in my hand unless its dark.

trekinit

FNG
Budget option - get a few short cam straps and secure it to the pack wherever you desire.

Marble

WKR
The only reason I say this is because it's happened.

Only strap your bow to your pack if there is nearly zero chance of seeing an animal.

Also, if climbing or descending something precarious, carry your bow.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

D S 319

WKR
Carry it in my hand or over my neck. I tried a sling from jaktgear while at TAC this weekend, and was not a fan.