Best way to carry rifle on my pack

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Kifaru gun bearer. If I have no intention of using it, i just strap the barrel to my pack instead of using the top half of the gun bearer.

+1 for this. I made my own version of the gun bearer since I didn’t think I was going to like it, but I love it.

Hiking in or out, the barrel is strapped in the side compression straps and pointing straight up. If you’re hunting, or there’s a chance of seeing game, the barrel is strapped at the pack strap for easy and fast access.

I use treking poles now so I want it both ways. This year I bought a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. I bought a kifaru bearer. I will be using it as it was intended for quicker shot but also I figured out how to secure my rifle to the pack bag as well for the walk in. I have the universal Kifaru on an other smaller pack I use occasionally for a short walk. It works great for that. For longer walk in hikes and brushy steep slopes Im thinking I wont like the rifle attached to my shoulder straps. Once on top of the ridge I think I will dig it.
We shall see as this year is really a test year.

tbowers

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering what people were using that carry the gun under their arm- that gun bearer looks slick. Does it get in your way much while hiking?

I carry mine just like CApighunter does but on a SG pack for my long hikes in. Had pods8 make me a custom one to match. I like it but if I’m getting into animals I take it out of the carrier and use the SG gun sling for quick access.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
I also made my own version of a kifaru gun bearer and its the best way ive ever carried a rifle. Its not in the way at all hiking with sticks or moving over and under obstacles, it just takes some getting used to using binos. If its before or after shooting light I just put the barrel behind the top compression strap on the bag and i can still raise the rifle up out of the bearer and slide it out for use without needing to take the pack off.

hikenhunt

WKR
Kifaru gun bearer. I can hike miles and miles and am always ready for a shot at any time

BAKPAKR

WKR
I don’t like using the gun bearer in the dark with a headlight due to the distracting shadow created by the barrel. I was on some narrow trails a couple of weeks ago and the effect almost caused a misstep or two in some places I would rather not be misstepping.

Also, for me, the gun bearer is best with a sub-8# rifle. But, I acknowledge that I am kind of a wimp. I do like the gun bearer in the daylight with lighter rifles.

I also attached a second upper strap to my frame so I could use it like the SG system when I was not needing as quick of access to my rifle.

wodje96

FNG
I usually just loop the side straps around it. If theres a side stuff pocket the butt goes there. With my barney's pack theres a sling below the right side pocket, and the rifle slides in between the pocket and the pack down to the sling. It' s not ultralight but barney;'s system it top notch

pin_head

FNG
I like the kifaru gun bearer on my Mystery Ranch. My rifle is only 6 lbs though, I could see it being annoying with a heavier rifle.

Brad

Kifaru Gun Bearer is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Don't know what pack you're using, but they make a universal model. But I would say it's the best ~$30 I've spent on hunting gear.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
This thread really produced a lot of awesome info. Thank y’all very much for the advice. I’ve been looking at a few different options but I’m really liking kifaru’s universal holster. Still curious how it will fit a Gregory bag but I might just give it a shot. If nothing else I can put it on my kifaru bag that I’ll have for next years hunt lol.

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
You guys running the the kifaru universal gun bearer or the regular one with mystery ranch packs?

Rich M

WKR
I have a horn hunter main beam xl and it has two straps/loops centered in the back for a rifle.

Maybe your pack has something similar?

I have a kifaru frame. I use their large pouch on the belt to hold the end of the rifle in. I would eventually want to get a gun bearer style holder.