Best Way to Concealed Carry While Jogging?

bsnedeker

WKR
How about the obvious answer, you don't need a gun while you're jogging.

Consider moving if you truly believe you do.
Good grief, there's always one. I love people who can figure out what other people need and what they don't despite knowing nothing about them or their circumstances. I wish I had this God-like power.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Belt around waist under sweatpants or shorts.

This is the best solution without question. After two days, you won't notice it is there especially if it is a small pistol. All you need is a infinitely adjustable belt like a Wilderness Frequent Flyer, and I think it is most comfortable with a holster that is sized just to fit the pistol no excess, and not one of the panel backed styles like a crossbreed.
One like this https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/gt1000.htm

I don’t run much anymore, but I’ll carry my pistol (G17) in my Spiritus Systems micro chest rig. It’s a bit of an unorthodox carry option, but after some practice I’m able to get to my pistol fairly quickly. I use this chest rig for all of my outdoor excursions from pistol carry to binos and a range finder.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Carry if you need. Lots of good responses about holsters. But I agree with a few others, no need. Runners are low priority targets to criminals for several reasons. Too much effort (catching up to and stopping the victim) and no prize (runners don't carry cash or other valuable items). Sure, female runners could possibly be a target for a sexual assault. Stats, even for animal attacks, would show that protection while running is unnecessary. If I had to worry about carrying a handgun while running, I wouldn't be in that location in the first place!

Fatcamp

WKR
So as far as my set up, after a few different guns I settled on a Glock 19 years ago. I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds out of 9mm Glocks, competed in USPSA with them, and can completely disassemble and reassemble in about 5 minutes. I don't own any other handguns other than heirlooms.

I believe consistency and familiarity are critical to operating a handgun well. If it's a little more bulky or weighs a few ounces more I will take that penalty for being very in tune with my pistol. Others have, shoot, and carry a variety of different handguns, and that's fine, it just doesn't fit with my beliefs.

As always, YMMV.

Lawnboi

WKR
Curious to hear more about the waist belt guys. The kit bag is fairly comfortable for a < 5 mile run. I don’t run the extra bungee deal that is for running. I also run a Glock 43, carried a 29 in it a few times and it was just too bulky to be very comfortable.

Where I run there’s often no cell service. Iv been chased by dogs and run across some questionable individuals. A few instances have turned me into a religious carrier.

BjornF16

WKR
To those opposed to carrying while running, suit yourself. But the OP didn’t ask for opinions on validity.

But I would disagree with runners not being targets. They are typically easy targets. It really depends upon what the perp motives are. Certainly been plenty of attacks on runners in the DFW area.

I carry mainly for 4 legged critters...wild dogs, rabid dogs or coyotes...I live outside city limits with plenty of wild things.

For P365, G19 I use HPG. It took a little getting used to. I found Snubby Kit Bag to have less bounce than the larger bags. G19 fit perfectly.

For Kahr P380, I use the PT One belly band. Hardly notice it is even there.

Edit: I’ve never had a corrosion problem with either HPG or PT One belly band.

Last edited:
Might try out the Kenai “Alaskan” chest holster, or chest holster for that matter. I’ve been looking at these for all my exercising needs, it’s up off the hips/waist and it’s more secured on your body. Less flopping around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJF

WKR

Don't see why you couldnt use this for a compact pistol...minor modification may be needed?

Rich M

WKR
How about the obvious answer, you don't need a gun while you're jogging.

Consider moving if you truly believe you do.

I bet you think no-gun zones are perfectly safe too. LOL!

You do what you like and let the guy do what he wants. Things happen when and where we least expect them to.

Vertx / Unity Tactical: Runners Clutch Belt

Here’s a good option. Low profile. Ability to carry a tourniquet, along with one other item (e.g. phone, extra magazine, FAK for gunshots, less lethal option, etc.). The Clutch Belt isn’t an annoying belly band, floppy waist pack or a bulky chest pack.

OXN939

WKR
To those opposed to carrying while running, suit yourself. But the OP didn’t ask for opinions on validity.

Agreed on this! But, not a bad idea to explore alternatives. I've been a triathlete for 12 years and have put in better than 10,000 miles on a bunch of different continents, and have never found a situation where carrying a firearm while running seemed appealing. The biggest weapon you have for self defense while running, like anywhere else, is situational awareness- always assess your surroundings, and if you think you might be in a bad spot, use your mobility to get out of it.

Regarding carry, the only thing I've ever taken is mace. I don't even carry an Ipod anymore while running because they get so gross and die so quickly with sweat... there is just not a chance I'm carrying a holster and a firearm. A small canister of mace, however, will handle almost all threats you can reasonably expect to defend yourself from while winded, alone, in the open and away from where you live. The only problems I've ever had have been with dogs, which circles back to the point about SA.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I usually wear a regular leather belt with my work out shorts. My wife makes fun of me but I've met some weird ducks in one area I like to frequent. It's not the greatest set up but works good enough.

BjornF16

WKR
Agreed on this! But, not a bad idea to explore alternatives. I've been a triathlete for 12 years and have put in better than 10,000 miles on a bunch of different continents, and have never found a situation where carrying a firearm while running seemed appealing. The biggest weapon you have for self defense while running, like anywhere else, is situational awareness- always assess your surroundings, and if you think you might be in a bad spot, use your mobility to get out of it.

Regarding carry, the only thing I've ever taken is mace. I don't even carry an Ipod anymore while running because they get so gross and die so quickly with sweat... there is just not a chance I'm carrying a holster and a firearm. A small canister of mace, however, will handle almost all threats you can reasonably expect to defend yourself from while winded, alone, in the open and away from where you live. The only problems I've ever had have been with dogs, which circles back to the point about SA.
I live out in the country where there are plenty of coyotes roaming about...and wild dogs...and meth heads.

So when I run before sunrise, I pack.

I've been attacked by dogs during daylight runs as well, but that has been a while back. Sometimes I pack when I run during the day as well.

I sometimes use HPG Runners Kit bag...sometimes belly band. They both work for me.

Maybe the OP is the criminal and wants to conceal his heat? Anyone consider that? Maybe he's in witness protection and needs to pack? Either way not our business.

Enjoying on the options for exercising our 2nd amendment rights. I'll be trying a couple myself.

For now I'm just using tight compression shorts to conceal my weapon enough to keep the soccer moms from checking out my junk. Still doesn't work with some of them - they just can't help themselves. Sometimes I tuck it back a little if I'm feeling frisky.

OP
A
Maybe the OP is the criminal and wants to conceal his heat? Anyone consider that? Maybe he's in witness protection and needs to pack? Either way not our business.

Enjoying on the options for exercising our 2nd amendment rights. I'll be trying a couple myself.

For now I'm just using tight compression shorts to conceal my weapon enough to keep the soccer moms from checking out my junk. Still doesn't work with some of them - they just can't help themselves. Sometimes I tuck it back a little if I'm feeling frisky.
I'm the OP and I did appreciate the chuckle with your first sentence.

I tried a few of the recommendations and none were ideal. So I just do what makes the most sense for where I happen to be at that time.

FLAK

WKR
Don’t matter where you jog, run, bike or anything else. Nice neighbor hoods are not with out crime either. In fact many go to those areas to commit crimes. I walk my dog through a pretty affluent neighbor hood from time to time. And have had more dogs come after us off leash and owners that think they are above the law and all high and mighty , and there dogs don’t have to be a leash, threaten us if we come back, then about anywhere else. Also some sketchy people just park at the end of the road there ,a lot, and I guarantee they are up to no good, Drinking or drugs goes on in these neighbor hoods also. Best to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. And it’s crazy times going on right now, every where.
Had mine on me when a free range PitBull decided he wanted to snack on my wife and me.
One shot in the ground in front of him changed his mind. Barely.
Glad I was carrying.
To all the naysayers, situational carry is dangerous. ALWAYS CARRY.

*zap*

WKR
Situational awareness is very important, it lets me know when I need to take out my handgun. I do not run but hike very often and use mostly a HPG chest or belt pack but sometimes a dump pouch or cargo pocket.