Best way to cook dove

jfronk

FNG
Bacon wrapped jalapeño dove poppers on the grill are pretty good. I usually use half or one breast per popper depending on the size of the pepper. Just cut the pepper in half, remove seeds, put some cream cheese and dove breast in pepper and wrap in bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
Yummm. This sounds good.

Bacon wrapped jalapeño dove poppers on the grill are pretty good. I usually use half or one breast per popper depending on the size of the pepper. Just cut the pepper in half, remove seeds, put some cream cheese and dove breast in pepper and wrap in bacon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything wrapped in bacon is good! I gotta try those poppers. If you don't grill em you can bake them or use your broiler. I like to dip the breast in ranch dressing, roll in cracker or bread crumbs (seasoned to your liking) and wrap with bacon. Bake 350-400 for approx 15 min or broil on low 8-12 min. Internal temp 165 - 170

Squirrels

WKR
Wrap the whole bird in bacon, shove a tooth pick through it. Put them in a large bowl and pour Italian dressing over them and let them set over night and then grill them.

• Banned
OP
V

vlad

Banned
Bacon wrapped jalapeño dove poppers on the grill are pretty good. I usually use half or one breast per popper depending on the size of the pepper. Just cut the pepper in half, remove seeds, put some cream cheese and dove breast in pepper and wrap in bacon.

Omg This is gonna be good. thanks.

• Banned
OP
V

vlad

Banned
Wrap the whole bird in bacon, shove a tooth pick through it. Put them in a large bowl and pour Italian dressing over them and let them set over night and then grill them.

what temperature should i let it heat up and for how long ?

blackdawg

WKR
Cook the Zesty Italian Marinated bacon wrapped dove on medium high on gas grill, as with all dark meat game birds, medium rare will yield excellent table fare,, be careful not to over cook the bird,,

I've made the poppers several times , we used Gouda cheese and of course bacon and jalapeños

Squirrels

WKR
Cook the Zesty Italian Marinated bacon wrapped dove on medium high on gas grill, as with all dark meat game birds, medium rare will yield excellent table fare,, be careful not to over cook the bird,,

Spot on. Over cooking meat seems to be an issue for lots of people.

Eagle

WKR
One of the best ways I've cooked, outside of the jalapeño and dove popper route, is to pluck the birds and then grill them. After a good shoot, I like to take the birds that were head shot and completely pluck them (very easy on a dove) and gut. Then I'll follow Hank Shaw's recipe here: and they are tasty. Grilled Doves la Mancha Recipe

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the jalapeno bacon poppers. I also like to use the breasts for stir-fry. Marinade them for a couple hours minimum in sauce of your choice. Remove from marinade and cook on medium/medium high heat in stir-fry pan. I usually add some soy sauce, olive oil, or other Asian-inspired liquid to simmer the breasts in. They should get tender. Add veggies and cook until done. Add to rice or noodles of your choice.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I like to breast my doves and slice them into thin strips. I make a mushroom gravy and lay the strips in and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve the sauce over warm buttered egg noodles and it's the cats meow!

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Dove meat - finally something a Southerner like me can weigh in on.

It's hard to beat the poppers. They make awesome appetizers. One tip when your making them - you can semi-freeze the cream cheese and slice it in strips to make it easier to put together.

Also, like others have stated, dove meat is great in stir fry-type dishes.

boom

WKR
i breast them.

pound the halves. and then chicken fry them into nuggets.

topher89

WKR
I would bet more doves are made into jalapeño poppers than every other dove recipe combined. And its because they are good!

Deep fried whole plucked doves are also good.

Breast them, Cut the breasts into approx. 1" cubes and make shish-kebabs. Lacing bacon through helps to keep the meat moist. You can also use pineapple, apple, or peppers. Then toss them on the grill.

KJH

WKR
Dove breasts make a good pate if you like an appetizer. Here's a recipe close to what I make: Dove Pate'

I add a little cayenne pepper or a dash of tabasco sauce.