Best way to filter river water?

ODB

WKR
Total newb here. Are these types of filters fine enough to remove all organisms and pathogens?

Look up filters vs. purifiers. Filters generally filter bacteria/protozoa but not viruses. Purifiers can treat water for everything if combined with a filter like the MSR Guardian.

There are several purifying only options - boiling, tablets, chlorine drops, steripen, but they do not filter particulates. Filters can get most of the nasty stuff.

I use a filter 99% of the time because I can find decent water sources, but do carry chlorine tabs just in case.

MSR has good info on their site.

NB7

WKR
I'll 2nd the Katadyn Base Camp filter. Used it this year streamside in MT and it was easy and very efficient. Just open it up and let the current fill it, roll the top and hang. I found it filters far faster than m Sawyer system, it moves a lot of water quickly.

*zap*

WKR
If the river has chemicals/pesticides the sawyer S1 might be a good choice. I backpack camp around here and the lakes are the water source for the most part and I use a s1 with a micro squeeze. S1 comes with a micro squeeze unless it is a replacement bottle. The s1 bottle is good for 1600 uses but the micro squeeze is good for way more.....if you have a sawyer filter it may fit on the s1 bottle. Midway has the bottle replacements for $18. Micro squeeze and s1 bottle is $50 @ midway and the also have the s3 which filters heavy metals and viruses. S2 filters everything the s1 does plus viruses.. All the s series use a regular sawyer filter so that gets the bacteria and protozoa.

S1- chemicals/pesticides.
S2- chemicals/pesticides and viruses.
S3- chemicals/pesticides/viruses and heavy metals.....

I figure with all the farmland and rural homes that runoff from dumps into the lakes I want to safeguard from chemicals/pesticides. The s bottles do 20 ounces at a time.

Just another option for you.

TFrank

WKR
Sediment laden water pre filter

I’m partial to the Katadyn BeFree filters - you can get various size bottles/reservoirs and they flow faster for longer than the Sawyer ones I’ve used.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
If temps drop below freezing be careful using Sawyer as it will get damaged from water freezing and then afford little protection. I own both Sawyer and MSR Guardian. Love the Guardian as it does not get damaged by freezing and we hunt Idaho at 9-10k feet with temps below 20 F common. I leave behind sometimes and run tablets if I want to shed weight and not likely to need much water.