Best way to fly with meat, cape and head from alaska dall sheep hunt

Trying to figure out if I should bring a cooler with me or stuff it all in a duffel frozen and maybe have the meat in a soft shell cooler. What have you guys done in the past. If a cooler what size do you guys recommend for a sheep I am assuming it would be like a mule deer size wise.

Thanks

ramses342

FNG
My buddies got two elk on Afogneck last year and they boned it out and put it in Fish boxes and they said that worked really well. Alaska Airlines is super used to flying all kinds of crazy stuff so you can always give them a call and ask if you are flying with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I would bring the horns and cape back with you in duffel bags as your carry on and personal item. Check the meat in a cooler.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
After the hunt, I took an Uber to Walmart and bought two roller 50 qt Coleman coolers and a small bathroom scale. Packed my sheep meat, cape, halibut and salmon in those (I had extra time and went fishing). Both were at 70lbs. Those two coolers, the cape and horns were frozen at the hotel. I wrapped the horns in two heavy trash bags, then wrapped it in my sleeping bag and put it in my duffel with boots and clothes.

Everything I could stuff into my rifle case went in there (trekking poles, fishing rod, clothes, ammo, knives, etc) and I shipped it home through USPS ($175). I couldn't physically handle the rifle, duffel and two coolers when I got home, so I elected to ship the rifle. The rolling coolers were perfect for getting through the airport.

Anything left went into my backpack as carry on. Optics and one change of clothes.

Two coolers and my duffel were checked in at the airport and I paid the excess/overweight baggage charges (about $350).

Expect the sheep meat plus cooler to kick you over 50lbs. Fish boxes (available at Walmart among other places) might stay under 50lbs. That may or may not matter depending on airline, ticket type and perks you may have.

Most of the hotels downtown and near the airport have freezerspace for sportsman. Call ahead to be sure.

Jeremy

I brought back my dried cape and sheep horns in a leak proof duffel that was just a normal checked bag. I've also put all of my meat frozen inside garbage bags and then that inside my sleeping bag and then put it inside a leak proof duffel. Both have worked just fine traveling.

The fish box program where available is a good way to go as well.

I'm done packing a soft sided cooler and don't really have a need for 25 new coolers...

robie

WKR
I used the black storage boxes with yellow lids from home Depot. Worked great and are cheap. Also useful when you get home. Put a zip tie in every slot on the edges.

I also bought a yeti hopper and have used that for fish, Caribou and antelope as my carry on. Meat needs to be frozen or close. Mine weighed 47 pounds on the last trip.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

jwatts

WKR
I went on a dall hunt this past August. I had a few days between coming off the mountain and flying home. I deboned the meat, separated it just as if I were going to vacuum seal it, and froze it in portions in ziploc bags. A lot of hotels in Anchorage have walk in freezers. The airport has a few as well. I was able to freeze the meat, put it in a fish box (they're available dang near everywhere up there) and checked it as a bag. It stayed froze from Anchorage to New Orleans, as well as the 2hr drive home.

I left the cape and skull up there to be mounted, so no help there.

I killed a ram in Alaska in '18. As others have said the fish boxes are the way to go for the meat. If the cape is dried out and salted you can fit the head and cape in a medium sized duffel and check it as well. I've done that on hunts from the NWT and the Alaska hunt and it's worked fine both times getting the horns and cape home.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw