Best way to get animal hide/meat back from DIY hunting trip we flew in for???

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I are doing an Idaho bear hunt this coming spring and we were wondering the best way to handle the meat/carcass shipping being that we are flying in and out. Can anyone give their experience doing this and any advice on best practices?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
No one has experience with this for some advice?

Should we let a taxidermist in Idaho do their work before sending it home to Texas? I have never shipped meat either... Again, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

I have never flown in anywhere for a bear hunt, but have for deer and have a little experience with your taxidermy question.

Getting the meat home is pretty easy. You can take your gear out there in a cooler as one of your checked bags. If successful, put meat in cooler(s) and check it as a checked bag. You may have to work out something with a meat locker or motel with a freezer before your flight where you can get your meat cold or frozen. The gear that is now displaced gets shipped home via USPS or whatever service you prefer.

We went through the taxidermy question this fall with antelope. We left the head and hide out there and had it done, then shipped it home. It added $150, but took away stress of taking care of it on the two day trip home. Plus the taxidermist we used is much better at antelope than what I can likely expect at home. No regrets there. Research taxidermist in the area, talk to them and get a feel for how it would work. I about guarantee it's not their first time dealing with it.

OP
Kountry Biscuit

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
I have never flown in anywhere for a bear hunt, but have for deer and have a little experience with your taxidermy question.

Getting the meat home is pretty easy. You can take your gear out there in a cooler as one of your checked bags. If successful, put meat in cooler(s) and check it as a checked bag. You may have to work out something with a meat locker or motel with a freezer before your flight where you can get your meat cold or frozen. The gear that is now displaced gets shipped home via USPS or whatever service you prefer.

We went through the taxidermy question this fall with antelope. We left the head and hide out there and had it done, then shipped it home. It added $150, but took away stress of taking care of it on the two day trip home. Plus the taxidermist we used is much better at antelope than what I can likely expect at home. No regrets there. Research taxidermist in the area, talk to them and get a feel for how it would work. I about guarantee it's not their first time dealing with it.
Great feedback. Thanks

MHWASH

WKR
It’s totally your call, but keep in mind Idaho does not require you to remove bear meat from the field.

Last edited:

Karson88

FNG
We didn't hunt bear but we processed 3 Mule deer in our hotel room, vacuum sealed the meat and froze 160lbs of meat in multiple Styrofoam coolers with dry ice. We then put them in trash bags and then in dry bags. They were on the plane for a good 10 hrs of traveling and were still frozen when we got home. For the heads we just gave them to a taxidermist and he took care of them.

kevf

FNG
Guys, what is the best way to be efficient in the field in terms of butchering and ultimately get that meat frozen to fly back home with?

I was thinking of a few ways to do it... I am tempted to simply deboned the quarter, and freeze big 15-20lbs pieces to a butcher shop. From there, I was planning to unfreeze and butcher at home.

I am always seeking ways to save time butchering in the field to spend more time boots on the ground in the field. I also know some butchers don't have the time to process, but are keen to freeze for a little fees.

Any thoughts?