Best way to get in contact with Wildlife Biologists?

topher89

WKR
I am thinking about picking up a whitetail only tag in Eastern Colorado. I already have a tag for the mountains but my uncle has a plains rifle tag out east and I thought it would be fun to join in on that hunt and have a second deer tag. As far as I can tell, there are whitetails in the unit but they are a little farther south than the property we hunt.

I want to call and talk to some CPW employee in the area but other than the general office number, I wasn't quite sure the best way I can reach them.

Any tips and tricks to having a productive conversation with the CPW officers and bios?

Thanks!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Start by calling the closest cpw office. Ask to speak directly to the senior officer or biologist. Then play phone tag. That worked for us last year. Be patient for a response they are busy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Have a directed inquiry when you do reach someone and leave a message.
"Hey biologist, this is billy Bob and I was wanted to know where to kill the biggest buck in your unit" will rarely get a response.
"Hey biologist after studying maps and talking with a few others I was wondering if we could discuss whether deer ridge or elk meadow would best meet my goals" will get you a lot further.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two great points ^^^^. We left our phone number and email, leaving it open for their convenience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It could take a while for them to get back to you so when they finally do be ready. Have specific questions. I have had them call me back on Saturday afternoon while I was shopping. Didn't expect a weekend response. The CO people I have tried to talk with have all been great. The last 2 years in AZ I have not even gotten a response. Not impressed with AZ.

Vargasm

FNG
Can't say about Colorado but I work for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and talking to new hunters about where to go is one of our favorite parts of the job. I would just call the main office and ask if anyone there could tell you more about the hunt. I'm sure they would love to talk hunting with you.

pwsINC

WKR
Best odds to are calling April, may very early June. I usually call right after winter kill surveys are done... they seem to be most open to discussing wildlife with a bit separation from season..... in my experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It could take a while for them to get back to you so when they finally do be ready. Have specific questions. I have had them call me back on Saturday afternoon while I was shopping. Didn't expect a weekend response.

I have experienced the same thing. Definitely be ready, I kept all my questions/checklist on my notes app on my phone so I'd be sure not to forget to ask anything. BTW, I had great communication and talked with a Utah biologist on 3 different occasions last year.

vanish

WKR
topher89 - Not directly related to your question but my wife hunted one of the C tags for doe whitetails last year. If you wind up hunting the same areas I might be able to give you some of what we found. Are you hunting north, central or southern?

TheTone

WKR
Have a directed inquiry when you do reach someone and leave a message.
"Hey biologist, this is billy Bob and I was wanted to know where to kill the biggest buck in your unit" will rarely get a response.
"Hey biologist after studying maps and talking with a few others I was wondering if we could discuss whether deer ridge or elk meadow would best meet my goals" will get you a lot further.

Really good advice. Any bio worth a crap isn't going to be hot spotting an area to every person they talk to, but should give honest answers to direct questions.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
topher89 - Not directly related to your question but my wife hunted one of the C tags for doe whitetails last year. If you wind up hunting the same areas I might be able to give you some of what we found. Are you hunting north, central or southern?

I didn't realize there were C tags. The doe tag I am looking at it a B so I can have it along with the other tag I already pulled.

I am looking in the Southeast. The guys I hunt with all drew deer tags for the area and this would allow me to tag along.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Thanks for all the great advice so far!

I have never called before, it is reasonable to hope the Bio or Warden may point me in the right direction for some private land access? I want a whitetail only doe tag in an agricultural area and am hoping that there is some farmer/farmers out there who would let a guy thin out the herd on their land.

Do you think a bio/warden would help point me in the right direction for some private land access?

TheTone

WKR
Thanks for all the great advice so far!

I have never called before, it is reasonable to hope the Bio or Warden may point me in the right direction for some private land access? I want a whitetail only doe tag in an agricultural area and am hoping that there is some farmer/farmers out there who would let a guy thin out the herd on their land.

Do you think a bio/warden would help point me in the right direction for some private land access?

They might, especially with a doe tag. I don't know the area at all, but if they are dealing with agricultural damage in the area they will probably have a good idea of what landowners allow access and have "too many" deer. Often some of those issues can vary from year to year so might be a good idea to see what they say now, as well as ask about a follow up call later as the season gets closer and they get a better feel as to who has complaints.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
They might, especially with a doe tag. I don't know the area at all, but if they are dealing with agricultural damage in the area they will probably have a good idea of what landowners allow access and have "too many" deer. Often some of those issues can vary from year to year so might be a good idea to see what they say now, as well as ask about a follow up call later as the season gets closer and they get a better feel as to who has complaints.

Great. That is what I am hoping.

The CPW Hunting Atlas has also been helpful. The place that we antelope hunt is 2 miles north of what the map shows as a "Whitetail Concentration" area. It has helped me narrow down doors I will try to knock on this summer.

bbell

WKR
When my wife and I drew a cow hunt that was comprised mostly of private land I called the fish and game office to see if there were any farmers/ranchers that had elk complaints. Got a list with about 10 ranches on it. We got permission for about 5 of the ranches. Helps when it is your wife's first elk hunt and 7 months pregnant as well. Worth a shot to call and ask.
Brandon

Beendare

WKR
Many years ago I was in the Durango F&G office squaring away my CC certificate [they no longer use those] and while waiting I heard last minute phone call after phone call get directed to 'missionary ridge". Pretty convincing too. An example of what NOT to do.

Good advice to know a bit about the area first. My first question is usually what TH's/areas see the most hunting pressure.

Many years ago I was in the Durango F&G office squaring away my CC certificate [they no longer use those] and while waiting I heard last minute phone call after phone call get directed to 'missionary ridge". Pretty convincing too. An example of what NOT to do.

Good advice to know a bit about the area first. My first question is usually what TH's/areas see the most hunting pressure.
I bet!
Good question, I like it.