Best way to learn hunting with stock

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned horses in the past for recreational riding and some minimal cattle work but all back before I started hunting out west (I live in West Tennessee). Since I only have a couple weeks to spend in the mountains every year and haven’t been in the points game for more than a handful of years I typically choose hunts more based on the experience of the hunt than top end trophy quality. Over the last few years I’ve been considering getting back into horses and have done some pondering on going all the way with pack stock and hauling them west with me. I can imagine it’s a completely different deal hunting with stock would like to get a feel for it before I dive in.
How would you guys recommend I get some mountain time in with pack stock short of buying my own? Rent horses for a trip? Don’t really want to do the guided thing and drop camps really don’t help since I wouldn’t have to mess with the animals during the hunt.
And before you guys recommend all manner of other critters I am only interested in horses/mules as lamas, goats, etc. don’t trip my trigger.

thanks in advance and not dissing your Lamas and goats!

So drop camps and fully guided trips are not options? Some Outfitters and Trail Riding Outfits will rent you horses. Other than that you pretty much would have to find someone who owns horses that will let you go on trips into the mountains with them. There are summer volunteer groups that do trail maintenance work for the Forest Service but those people typically bring their own horses so you'd basically be back to finding horse owners.

OP
NateK

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
My issue with a drop camp is that it seems like you get all the benefits of stock with non of the headaches. Please correct me if I’m wrong!

S.Clancy

WKR
I hunted hunted with horses for 15 years and rode for 20+. Your stock becomes family, but like family there are trials anf tribulations. I'd suggest renting for a hunt, then, if you like it, dive in full force. Good luck.

squirrel

WKR
Least good option buy a bunch of stock and head into the hills and see what happens ;)

Most desirable option have a mentor take you under his wing and allow, encourage, (even demand) that you help as he shows you tricks of the trade.

Rentals, guided trips, and drop camps are somewhere in the middle and a lot depends on how much you will insist on being involved in the dirty end of things, and how receptive you host is to you being involved. Work this out before giving money or showing up.

My buddy says "it takes me just 45 minutes to set up my wall tent alone... only 1:15 if my wife helps" This is also true at the trailhead saddling up generally

With a drop camp you would get to participate and observe loading/unloading of the animals, trail travel, and trailhead operations and etiquette. The only things you would be missing is the daily chores. Topics such as feed and water, staking out the horses or how to high-line etc. Whatever guide or wrangler that takes you in could probably give you a tutorial on that stuff in under an hour and if you are familiar with horses already that stuff will be second nature.

EastMont

FNG
Take a packing class is what I would suggest. There are one day, three day, and week long options available from many different outfits in the west. I'm sure its money well spent. I've been to a couple one day classes and I always learn something.

rayporter

WKR
what part of west tn?

i am in east ark. and just took a pack trip into the ozarks last week hunting.
NC0YO6h.jpg

EastMont

FNG
So thats something I've always wondered about as I do alot of flying to east coast and I'm always looking over Appalachia and that awesome country.

Do many people pack out east? Specifically for hunting? Seems like a great way to spend a week in a remote area and find untouched bucks

mntnguide

WKR
Royal Tine Outfitters in western Montana offers 3-4 day pack clinics. All you need to do is show up. They provide their stock and all the best Dutch oven cooking you can handle. They also teach fully involved 4 week guide schools based on packing. It's what Cody and LeRee have done for over 20 years. I taught for them for 5 summers and they are truly good people. Ive sent multiple people to that 4 day clinic who wanted to be more comfortable with their stock in the mountains and all said it was the best cheap investment they made into hunting with their horses in the backcountry

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd recommend you get a hold of the Back Country Horsemen chapter closest to you, looks like there's at least one that covers a big chunk of eastern Tennessee.

One more thing.

Goats and llamas suck!! Long ears all the way!