Best way to make hotel reservations in 2021

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be traveling to the Raleigh NC area and need to make arrangements for staying 5-6 days. What is best/most cost efficient way to book accommodations now?

I don't have any club affiliations or memberships that would help. Looking at best way to book a room on fairly short notice.

Thanks

Rob5589

WKR
We almost exclusively use Expedia. Calling specific hotels can be fruitful at times as well.

mlgc20

WKR
For just lodging, I use hotels.com. For travel packages, I use Travelocity. Both are convenient and easy to use.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Check with the choice , whyndem, Marriott etc. they may have summer promotions. 1 of choices just ended. Some are stay twice get a free night. Some you have to do 2 separate stays .

Use your AAA membership if you’ve got it. Saved me a ton.

when on the road, I use the hilton or IHG phone app to book hotels based on far I plan to drive each day.

TSAMP

WKR
Priceline.com for sure. On my spring bear hunt we just stopped where we felt like it to grab a hotel and you could pull it up and compare all the rates and they were always better priced than inside. I tried walking in and asking them to match it and book old fashion way and they would not. So I sat in the lobby and booked on my cell for nearly 100 dollars less. As a bonus one hotel was awful and had no AC or pillow cases (shout out Clarion in Rapid city SD). We just slept there hit the road early and upon calling them about 5 times they wouldn't offer any sort of refund. I called priceline, spoke with a real person and she called them and got me a full refund within 10 minutes. It'd an extra layer of buyer protection.

Wapiti1

WKR
I use Hotels.com, but I get their price and then call the hotel. About 30% of the time, I get a better rate from the phone call. Especially if it is a smaller operation. The booking sites charge a lot for their service to the hotel, and often they will discount the room accordingly if you call them.

Jeremy

def90

WKR
I look online at something like Expedia just to compare prices and so on and then I call the hotel directly, not the chain 800 number but the specific location number. Many times you can get a cheaper rate by dealing with them directly.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Priceline customer service example! With the prices being charged u can really get taken advantage of.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoy your stay in Raleigh! Lemme know if you need recommendations on places to go, food or recreational. As for hotels, I usually use google and go off those rates which are usually through the hotel website.

Normally I use either the IHG or Hilton Honors apps. I believe both are free for even the lowest levels. I also like Airbnb. If one of these three options do not work, I then call the hotel direct.

Piranha37

FNG
I usually use Expedia and then call the hotel. Most hotels hate the Expedia customers and don’t help you out if you run into trouble. They will usually get you the same rate as you see on Expedia.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I prefer to just show up. Never know what kind of neighborhood your going to be in, or the quality of the hotel if booking remotely.
Many times I've turned around in the parking lot or walked out of the Lobby.
I'll pay extra for a safer environment in a clean hotel.

ODB

WKR
I'll pay extra for a safer environment in a clean hotel.

Yup. I’ve stopped being cheap on hotels a long time ago. There was a time when some hotels were basic but perfectly clean and safe. I just don’t see them anymore. When you roll by and see a Weber Jr. grill sitting just outside a room door or some shirtless dude sitting in a sun-faded aluminum and webbing lawn chair smoking a cigarette you know you it ain’t worth stopping.

ODB

WKR

Must always keep an eye on the total cost of Airbnb’s these days. Lots of benefits, but some places have so many extra fees and taxes it can get expensive quick.

I saw a place in Ketchum that was 200$ a night, but a two-night stay was $600 with the ridiculous fees.