Best way to protect trail camera

P Carter

WKR
Ok, so it’s getting time for me to hang some trail cameras. Last year I hung a few in mid-June but didn’t have time to check them until mid-September. Not surprising, but they got a month or so of good shots and then got knocked off kilter by bears and elk. This year I want to put them up early and get good photos through the season, maybe year round. What’s the best protection system? Are the trail cam boxes worth it? How about this gizmo (below)? I’m not worried about people, just critters.

Ive put some up high and angled, but haven’t done much else for protection. Thoughts appreciated!

snakelk

WKR
Steel security boxes have proved the most effective for us against critters. They also provide an additional level of weather protection. Mounting high is an option, although it can significantly reduce your detection zone.

We lost quite a few cameras to bear attacks before moving to steel security boxes. They still try to mess with the cameras but tend to give up quickly when they realize it won't come off the tree easily. The device you provided the link to would be worthless to me as the entire camera is exposed.

OP
P Carter

P Carter

WKR

CorbLand

WKR
Very cool, I like the looks of those. Does the exposure of the camera front cause issues? My issues have been with bear licking/rubbing, and elk rubbing, so I don't think it would. Now I'll just have to see if they come in stock at all.
They make a face plate that can be purchased if you want the camera to be protected more.

We dont have many bears around here so I have never had issues with them but, I have never seen a bear where I run cameras. Biggest issue we have is elk moving cameras from licking/sniffing them. We have always used the faceplates and have no issues with them moving them. You lag bolt them to the tree so its pretty hard to move them. If you arent worried about people, you could get away without the face plate.

OP
P Carter

P Carter

WKR
They make a face plate that can be purchased if you want the camera to be protected more.

We dont have many bears around here so I have never had issues with them but, I have never seen a bear where I run cameras. Biggest issue we have is elk moving cameras from licking/sniffing them. We have always used the faceplates and have no issues with them moving them. You lag bolt them to the tree so its pretty hard to move them. If you arent worried about people, you could get away without the face plate.
That makes sense. I'm not so much worried about people, just those dang critters. Thanks!

CorbLand

WKR
That makes sense. I'm not so much worried about people, just those dang critters. Thanks!
They are based out of northern Utah so if you close you could probably pick them up and save some money shipping them. I don’t know how valid it is but I heard they were having trouble sourcing aluminum for them so it may be a second before the get them back in stock.

Grecco

FNG
I am using the electrical shut off box this year. Like mentioned above but now they are $16. We put up 3 this last weekend and will see how they do. We also were able to paint to match which trees we were putting them on, either aspen or pine.

Attachments

• 0529211535.jpg
    0529211535.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210531-183418.png
    Screenshot_20210531-183418.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 27