Best way to shoot some coons.

I have a coon problem at my house and they are coming around my chickens. Last night i got 53 pics of coons and up to 4 in a pic. Im thinking about trying to shoot them once the season comes in. And i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on shooting these buggers.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Should be nuisance problem in mi you can shoot all year round for nuisance. If you can't and wanna get rid of them before season you can live trap them but you have to take them 15 miles or farther or they find there way back

Laramie

WKR
I agree with the DP traps. In summer, mix dog food and mini marshmallows for bait.

If you are only interested in shooting, call them in. There are several electronic options that work very well. You can call them in the daylight but best results will be at night. Different sounds produce better during different times of year... Watch some videos and you will get the idea.

Reactions: WCB

Nuke Man

WKR
I trap coons all fall. I will second the dp traps as the most effective and less expensive than a box(live) trap. I would say get you about a half dozen with some cable or rebar stakes. If you have cats around skip the dog food or you'll catch a few. Won't hurt them, but they will be pissed off and a bitch to release. If I have cats around I just use marshmallows and some grape koolaid packets. Put a small handful of mellows in just to cover the trigger and sprinkle some dry koolaid on them.
Then have your 22 ready to rock in the morning.

I have better luck in my dogproof traps using tuna for bait.

For some reason, I've had several instances where the marshmallows are gone and there's no coon in the trap.

Laramie

WKR
I have better luck in my dogproof traps using tuna for bait.

For some reason, I've had several instances where the marshmallows are gone and there's no coon in the trap.
Mice are your culprit. Tuna gets messy and rotten inside the traps- no thanks. Your easy solution is to place a golf ball over the opening of the trap. Mice struggle o get this off but raccoons remove it easily.

Mice are your culprit. Tuna gets messy and rotten inside the traps- no thanks. Your easy solution is to place a golf ball over the opening of the trap. Mice struggle o get this off but raccoons remove it easily.

Good to know! Thank you!

With DP traps I have actually used cut aluminum can strips, shiny, and some lure sent. Also I installed some duck bill anchors in around my my barn for easy/rapid redeployment when needed.

4Cody4

FNG
A trap is working 24 hours a day and it's the reason animal control and nuisance trappers are trappers and not hunters. DP traps are great, I like sweet baits in the warmer weather and the golf ball tip is great. If you want a commercial bait recommendation I like Fur King by Blackies baits and lures. I'd put a bunch of those DP traps out around your chickens and let them work. Freshen up the bait every 4-5 days and you should be in pretty good shape.

Good luck

WCB

WKR
Takes a lot of work to trap as many coons as a good dog will. We caught five the other night in a couple of hours.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DP coon traps in the OPs yard would take about 15 minutes to set a dozen of them. Simply look out the window or step outside each morning and empty the traps...About the least amount of effort needed. And depending on his neighbors or size of property around him dogs may not be welcome or efficient.

Laramie

WKR
DP coon traps in the OPs yard would take about 15 minutes to set a dozen of them. Simply look out the window or step outside each morning and empty the traps...About the least amount of effort needed. And depending on his neighbors or size of property around him dogs may not be welcome or efficient.
And running coons with dogs is illegal outside of seasons in most states. To remove nuisance animals you typically need to trap or shoot them while they are causing the nuisance in most states. DP traps are super easy. I only run a dozen during the season as I have limited time. I average 8-10 a night for the first month of the season. If I could keep opossums out, my catch rate would be higher. Most traps are full every night.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also use DP traps, although if legal (and if you don't have pets) a 220 in a bucket will also get the job done, I have caught ski KS and opossum in my DPs....

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
The most effective way to shoot coons is to first locate them with a Thermal monocular then shoot with a red light mounted on the gun. We've shot as many as 25 in a 2 hour hunt if the leaves are off. I would also follow up with trapping.