Best wheel gun setup for griz protection?

hodgeman

WKR
I've been packing a 329 for a while now in a Gunfighter Inc. "Kenai" holster. Very light, very secure and stays out of my way when I'm bowhunting, fishing or just hiking around in the woods. I've drawn on a bear and luckily enough he changed his mind from messing with me anymore.

There is no such thing as an ideal handgun for stopping a bear that's light enough to carry all the time. This was as close as I could get. I'd rather carry a shotgun or a heavy rifle for bears but I can't manage one of them and a 6wt or bow.

The only drawback to carrying in a chest holster while bowhunting is that your string may contact it at full draw. I had to move mine around a bit to keep that from happening.

z987k

WKR
Redhawk 44 mag, 4”.

Those 329s are bullshit, you can’t fire heavy bullets out of them. Last revolver id ever buy although the weight is nice.
I shoot the 305gr hard cast lead out of my 329. Have never had an issue.
Have been thinking about switching to penetrating monos in the 220gr range as I feel that might penetrate better between the extra speed and material, but I've never had an issue.
It even shoots my 265gr ftx handloads and my 405gr subsonic handloads. And the 44 spl sintered rounds to.

Personally, I like the extra sight radius of a revolver. It just more naturally aims for me and that's what I went 329 over the highest pressure 10mm I could find. Plus a handloaded 44 has a lot more energy.. and I have a 44mag lever that goes on certain hunts with me. Not that you can't get a 10mm carbine.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
A loaded 329 is 31oz. A loaded G20 is 40oz. The weight matters. You aren't going to get 15 shots. (6) 44mag rounds will put a lot of hurt on a critter.
The 10mm is essentially a 357mag - not a 44mag.
10MM is probably a bit closer to .41 magnum, but it is definitely not a .44 magnum

TheGDog

WKR
A loaded 329 is 31oz. A loaded G20 is 40oz. The weight matters. You aren't going to get 15 shots. (6) 44mag rounds will put a lot of hurt on a critter.
The 10mm is essentially a 357mag - not a 44mag.
I agree a 10mm is essentially a 357mag in terms of energy numbers, but... one with a .40 entry wound! A G29 loaded with 10rds is 32oz. Cost $600 and some change, and then you can put night sights on it, and a weapon light. Smaller form factor. And... I don't have to worry about the frame pressure-cracking/sheering by the forcing cone.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I agree a 10mm is essentially a 357mag in terms of energy numbers, but... one with a .40 entry wound! A G29 loaded with 10rds is 32oz. Cost $600 and some change, and then you can put night sights on it, and a weapon light. Smaller form factor. And... I don't have to worry about the frame pressure-cracking/sheering by the forcing cone.

Yup, revolvers are cool, I have a few. I just can’t bring myself to use them when the 10mm glocks work so well for me. I like having 16 rounds on tap with my g20.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
44 magnum S&W Mountain gun. It is a nice balance between not being too heavy, but still being easy to shoot.

Other guns will work, I also have a Rugar Toklat, I enjoy carrying the Mountain Gun more.

I would go for something in 44 mag or 454. A minimum of a 4 inch barrel, but not longer than 6 inches. A hard weight cut off of 50 ounces. I would also only get a double action in stainless steel.

The reason for a double action wheel gun is so that if the bear is chewing on you, you can shoot everything in the gun.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
From a single individuals weapon, what is the most number of rounds an individual involved in a DL shooting against Grizz or Brown has managed to fire successfully during the charge of said Bear?

Just asking since a lot of times many of us cite having those higher round counts as a big positive about using said weapon. But I wonder honestly... what is the average number of rounds people are able to successfully squeeze off whilst hunting for bears and they've had one of these large bears initiate a charge from 50yd and under?

I don't have a definitive answer. Phill Shoemaker got 7 shots off and killed one with a 9mm. Old Groaner was shot twice with a rifle and three times under the chin with a pistol and whoever did that did not live to tell about it (modern bullets would have helped him out a lot).

Bear charges are not scripted, you might get to empty and reload while the bear focuses on someone else. Or, you might have the muzzle buried in its fur for your first shot. In it first situation I would rather a 10mm. In the second, due to pressure on the slide taking it out of battery, you might not even get one shot off with a 10mm, and two shots are highly unlikely.

In the end you are talking about a low frequency, high risk event to start with. The odds of either of the extremes obove are even lower, making it easy to discount the one you want to.

I like the 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk 4.2" bbl, with Buffalo Bore 325gr flat point. The holster you choose is important 1 its got to be comfortable, 2 functionally accessible and 3 on your person at all times. What ever method it should be on your person when you shed your pack ...bino pouch and it should be secure so when you draw it all you are pulling is the pistol and not other gear!
I agree but haven't found a carry method that I really like.What are you using ?

MHWASH

WKR
Before a guy goes out and buying a large caliber handgun, pistol or revolver, I suggest this little drill. This isn’t high tech, but works for me.

I use a 12” steel gong so I can see and hear the hits. At 10 yards I have the hand gun in my hand at my side. I feel 10 yards is a good compromise between a surprise bear attack or at the point where a charge is no longer a bluff. Then as quickly and safely as possible I engage the target. Shooting as fast as I can when I have the correct sight picture. I find I can place all 10 shots with my 22/45 pretty easy considering it’s a .22. I then move on to the 9mm, 357, 10, then finally my 44 spl Blackhawk. This is the largest handgun I own. I can’t stand shooting a 44mag, and honestly I find it impractical after the first shot. In a true defensive situation.

I find this exercise is a real eye opener on what is a practical cartridge for the discussion at hand.

This is my favorite bear protection system. I hate how heavy it is, but I’ve seen the effects it had on a medium sized brown bear, and it made a believer out of me. For me, I want one of the hardest hitting rounds out of the most compact units made.
65c2f407d27a678db4ac602af801e428.jpg

97366bcc5d6e295df403a3dd24a11240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
I like Revolvers and if I carried one for Bear protection it would be very similar to TroutBum's.
That said, for bear protection I carry a Glock 30SF w/BB 255gr. hardcast .45 Super.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@AK Troutbum I'll bet that doesn't kick much :D

A couple of years ago when I took my S&W 69 to the range to sight it in (HSM 305 gr) I got punished. Luckily had it sighted in under 10 rounds, but it literally black and blued the entire fleshy part of my thumb- should have taken a pic!

@AK Troutbum I'll bet that doesn't kick much :D

A couple of years ago when I took my S&W 69 to the range to sight it in (HSM 305 gr) I got punished. Luckily had it sighted in under 10 rounds, but it literally black and blued the entire fleshy part of my thumb- should have taken a pic!

Oh yeah it kicks, but it only kicks once, if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Anyone getting serious pressure leaking out between the cylinder and frame on their 329?

SW told me these Scandium frames dont last as long as a steel revolver

JLF

FNG
I'm of the same mindset as AK Troutbum (Holsters by Diamond D Custom Leather): Sent the gun (Ruger Alaskan .44) to Cylinder & Slide for the Magna-Port. In all my time hunting in Alaska, never had to use it, but the piece-of-mind was worth every penny. I've used these rigs hunting in Montana too... If I'm wearing a chest rig for bino/LRF, I go with the belt holster...Always worn during archery hunts. However, I've been known to leave the long gun in camp/truck and swap to this rig for the long meat hauls to and fro...

Attachments

• Alaskan 44 1.jpg
    Alaskan 44 1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Alaskan 44 2.jpg
    Alaskan 44 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Alaskan 44 3.jpg
    Alaskan 44 3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Snyd

WKR
OP asked what
I know this is a controversial subject with many opinions but, for this discussion, lets say I'm settled on a wheel gun. What are everyone's opinions of best setup in regards to double or single action and barrel length? Is .44 the best option for a magnum handgun for this application? This gun will be carried in AK during an upcoming archery moose hunt and the NW US, probably in a Razco setup under my bino harness.
The best? Subjective at best but there are some basic generalities. Since we're talking wheelguns first off caliber. Generally speaking minimum caliber .429 300gr hard cast and up from there. Some adhere to the 357 180 gr. hardcast.

Personally for years I've packed a 4" Redhawk that started life as a 45 Colt. It's now a 454 Casull. I pack it in a Simply Rugged Pancake style holster on my hip. I can also put it around my waist cross draw and it rided above my back pack belt. Packing methods are a personal choice and depend on the situation. Belt carry obviously won't work well with chest waders, etc.

P6260115.jpg

Here is is in the Simply Rugged next to my Freedom Arms 454 Hunting pistol. I like my 454's. Well, I like my 500 Linebaugh also!

IMG-0600.jpg

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I'm of the same mindset as AK Troutbum (Holsters by Diamond D Custom Leather): Sent the gun (Ruger Alaskan .44) to Cylinder & Slide for the Magna-Port. In all my time hunting in Alaska, never had to use it, but the piece-of-mind was worth every penny. I've used these rigs hunting in Montana too... If I'm wearing a chest rig for bino/LRF, I go with the belt holster...Always worn during archery hunts. However, I've been known to leave the long gun in camp/truck and swap to this rig for the long meat hauls to and fro...

I have this exact setup and love it.

Last edited: