Best work outs to draw more weight

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I already draw 70lbs fairly easy but I want to make it easier just for a smoother motion. Mainly looking just for some extras to add in while in the gym for some filler in between sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Rear delt work- Standing face pulls, seated sternum pulls and incline bench dumb bell rows.
I’d also add seated rows with more emphasis on the rhomboid. I do this often doing warm up with moderate weight, upright posture and tight core, allow shoulders to roll forward which will open the scapulas then slowly roll everything closed.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I have never done it but thought about it more than once. You could stand parallel to a cable fly machine with the pulley at shoulder level with your bow hand on the tubing and pull directly across your chest similar to a bow.

Look up the "Armstrong Challenge". I use this in the offseason when I'm not shooting regularly. Just a simple combination of push ups and pull ups. No fancy equipment needed, just one of those pull up bars from Amazon.

Rob5589

WKR
I found this when starting to shoot a single string,

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Why not try boxing? Conditioning, heavy bag, speed bag, even mitt work. Just skip sparring and avoid the risk of head injuries.

sszelong

Lil-Rokslider
Drawing a bow is a multi joint movement and requires use of both sides of the body. Before you start looking at how to “strengthen the shoulder” it’s important that the foundation to which it moves upon is solid (spine). Looking at the axial skeleton (spine) first to inspect for weakness’s that reduce appendicular (everything else) ability to move. Sometimes there can be muscular weakness, maybe joint stiffness, or both. Assuming you have a good foundation, the shoulder blade has 17 muscles that attach to it. One area of strength that is overlooked in favor of large muscle movement would be rotator cuff exercises. 3 of the 4 cuff muscles have posterior attachments on the shoulder blade. The ball and socket portion of what most view as the shoulder is the most mobile joint in our body and the rotator cuff’s job is to provide stability of that joint. Look at rotator cuff strengthening and stabilization exercises as things to be added into your program. I’ll incorporate them 2 days a week into my lifting or into core work. Keep the resistance light if you are strength training as you want reps of 20 (my opinion) because these muscles are to be thought of as an endurance runner and not the look of a sprinter.

Bmarcks31

FNG
Nothing better than actually drawing to improve your draw.
^^^This

Give your 70 lbs draw weight bow to the biggest dude at the gym (who presumably doesn‘t hunt/shoot) and see how easily he pulls it.

I‘m all about strength and fitness, but lifting weights to improve your draw weight or draw smoothness is like swimming laps to improve your 5k time.

^^^This

Give your 70 lbs draw weight bow to the biggest dude at the gym (who presumably doesn‘t hunt/shoot) and see how easily he pulls it.

I‘m all about strength and fitness, but lifting weights to improve your draw weight or draw smoothness is like swimming laps to improve your 5k time.
I don’t think that’s totally true. I took up archery and was able to draw 70# while sitting on the first day. Being strong doesn’t hurt at all.

Then again, I have Stihl saws and an old Johnson pull-start outboard. Probably did just as much to prepare me as the gym.

jimh406

WKR
A lot depends on your technique. You should be drawing with a high elbow and using the muscles in your upper back to draw/hold.

Assuming good technique, buy two Saunders Power Pulls. One for home and one for work (if you can use it at work).

As others have said drawing the bow. Repetition.

I put resistance bands on my gym, same level as my bow, great exercise for strength and practicing good form.
Bent over rows, dumbbell, with my palm in/palm out/palm neutral.

I do resistance bands every day and also use a 70 Kettlebell and do the regular row. It has helped quite a bit actually.

Also, as a general injury prevention I recommend doing a set of 20 small forward arm circles, then 20 medium arm circles then 20 large arm circles. Then do the same thing but backward arm circles. I do them every morning and at the range right before I shoot. It helps strengthen the connecting tissue in your shoulders to keep everything in place. I had an old ski coach tell me about it saying he always had his clients do that regularly to avoid dislocating their shoulders.

I have never done it but thought about it more than once. You could stand parallel to a cable fly machine with the pulley at shoulder level with your bow hand on the tubing and pull directly across your chest similar to a bow.
This is how I Finnish my workout each time. I imagine a bull stepping out each time and hold for a 10 count. Sometimes I leave things on floor that I have to step over at "full draw" as I move side to side as I would in the mountains to get a clear shot.