Best workout machine for hunting?

Poser

WKR
VersaClimbers are kind of old school but I think they are the best "machine"

Those are pretty cool. I haven't used one in a LONG time, but I used to go to a gym that had one and would train with a pack on for alpine climbing. You can probably find old used ones for cheap, but the new models are $$$. You could buy a new Rower and a new Ski Erg and a new Airdyn for cheaper than what a new Versaclimber costs.

Seems like that in the late 80s and into the 90s, "alternative" machines with anaerobic potential were all the rage at gyms, but the modern Globo gyms have really settled into Treadmills, Ellipticals & Stationary bikes. While there is a huge selection machines in gyms these days, non elliptical stair climbers, rowers etc seem to be becoming rarities.

jmez

WKR
but the modern Globo gyms have really settled into Treadmills, Ellipticals & Stationary bikes.

Of course they have. All three you can ride/use with very little effort and energy. A large number of users would quit if the exercise was "too hard." Hard to cheat something like a stairmaster, versa climber, rower, etc.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Countless times I've watched folks mount a stepmill, presumably for the first time, and get off of it in about 2-3min. The military gym I go to has four stepmills and sixty treadmills/ellipticals. I've seen all the latter full and almost never have to wait for a stepmill

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I seriously have been working out for the past four years. I do a combination of free weights and machines. The two machines that seem to give you the most for the time you spend on them are the Concept2 rower and now the machine I have a love hate relationship with the Jacobs Ladder machine. The Jacobs Ladder is about the best butt kicking machine I have used. Along with free weights I alternate 10 minutes on the Concept2 rower at the #10 setting and 10 minutes on the Jacobs Ladder every other trip to the gym. If you can do 10 minutes on the Jacobs Ladder you will have had a serious lower body/ cardio workout. It beats all other climbing machines. Look it up great machine and almost perfectly mimics climbing a steep slope. your calves and guads will be screaming. Don't forget to walk for a few minutes on the treadmill before doing the Jacobs Ladder and cool down on the treadmill when done. There is a reason both of these machines are easy to access at the gym. They are TOOOOOuGH !!

Poser

WKR
Have you, or anyone else, used a Concept Ski Erg? If so, your thoughts please?

Awesome. It's rowing for the top half of your body. Your splits and wattage will be lower than a rower. Moving back and forth between a ski erg and a rower will totally blast you. I'm trying to convince my Crossfit box to invest in a couple. They run about $700, so a little cheaper than rowers.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Thanks Poser. I've had a C2 rower for years. I may have to get one of those ski ergs one day.