Best zero degree bag for $300?

Headed to CO for third season...given all of Covid issues with school right now I am going to take advantage of this and bring my son (14yo). He has a full kit with exception of a good cold weather bag. This will be a true backcountry hunt so I have to watch the weight - that being said what bag would you recommend in the $250-300 range?

Thanks in advance!

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I need to up grade my bag and pad so I’m curious to what people have to say. I know with a $100 bag you need to have a good sleeping pad with a higher R valve then 4.8 to be warm. My experience is going lighter which means lower r valve and having a chill that’s not wanted. From my research bags are tested with pads with a 4.8R valve so anything less you won’t get the full rating of the bag.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I got my Kifaru slick 0 degree on sale for a little under $300.
It is the first bag I have encountered that I could easily sleep in at the rated temp with no clothes on comfortably.

Lots of good choice during Labor Day weekend are now >$300. Looks like the Sierra Designs Nitro 800 is still right around $320 on MooseJaw. As far as I know that is the lowest price, high quality 800 fill bag. Most other 800 fill options are well over $400.

Without good sales, the next tier would be Mountain Hardwear Rook vs. Marmot Never Summer

I’m going to Kodiak in AK in October of 2021. Would you guys recommend a 0 degree bag or do I need one with a better rating than that?

sndmn11

WKR
This Marmot bag or a Nemo Sonic .

Aqua Sage

FNG
This Marmot bag or a Nemo Sonic .

Saw that Paiju bag recently and was almost gonna pull the Trigger, but the lack of reviews kinda made me hesitant. The Heavy waterproofing they designed into it was the most interesting aspect of the bag. Went with a Kelty Cosmic 20 instead along with a liner and pads all for way less than the asking of Paiju just by itself.

sndmn11

WKR
Saw that Paiju bag recently and was almost gonna pull the Trigger, but the lack of reviews kinda made me hesitant. The Heavy waterproofing they designed into it was the most interesting aspect of the bag. Went with a Kelty Cosmic 20 instead along with a liner and pads all for way less than the asking of Paiju just by itself.

My friend got the 10/15 degree one and used it for ten days in a silex in Colorado and was ecstatic with the results.

Mountain Hardware Lamina

Synthetic, bought a 15deg and other than it being a bit narrow it did the trick at a reasonable price point.

Cg_7

FNG
Not directly related to sleeping bag, but Another thing you could do if your sleeping pad doesn’t have a good R value is use a foam mat under the pad, that helped me a lot!