Beta blocker effects, cardiac output & altitude

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
After a number of cardiac tests, two cardiac caths and three stents over the last month, I'm now on a daily script regimen that my grandfather would be proud of. One of those meds is Toprol, a beta blocker. I take 25mg 2x day and can say this thing is kicking my arse. I started cardiac rehab last week and moderate treadmill, eliptical and bike exercises seem a lot harder. I'm still easing back in so no running or biking for at least a few more weeks. For being 43 and in pretty good shape (prior to this chit show), this is pretty good jolt. I just walked nearly 4 miles at a 4mph pace during my lunch break and am quite tired right now. From what I understand, Toprol and other blockers essentially limit your cardiac output. When I would normally get my rate up to over 160 running or biking, I'm lucky to peak over 140. My concern is obviously hunting related and I'm curious if others out there have noticed the effects of these blockers while in the mountains particularly at higher elevations. Fortunately this year we're hunting moose in AK so there's no need to immediately worry, but I'm still looking ahead to 2020 and beyond.

Split toe

WKR
Yeah that class of medication will limit heart rate, cardiac output, etc. It can make you feel drained.

OP
fap1800

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
Was that from you're own experience? I'm really wondering if it's something that I will get used to or am I gonna feel like this simply because my heart rate is basically 20 bpm during full exertion.

7Bartman

WKR
Yes, beta-blockers can cause exercise intolerance. However, they are invaluable meds with someone with your medical history. That being said, I notice a potential problem with your medication. Toprol XL (metoprolol succinate) is to be dosed ONCE a day. Metoprolol tartrate (a different med than Toprol XL) is dosed twice a day and hasn't demonstrated the same benefit in heart failure (I'm assuming based on your medical history). You shouldn't be taking Toprol XL twice a day. I'm a pharmacist so feel free to PM if I can help.