better bino setup

lavashine

FNG
I have only ran the Mystery Ranch Quick Draw - comfortable and keeps my nockers where I need them - never had a reason to look elsewhere.

Guys with the Rick Young - does the thin cordage of the harness get noticeable over a long day or dig into your skin when wearing base layers or thin clothing?

LostArra

WKR
Guys with the Rick Young - does the thin cordage of the harness get noticeable over a long day or dig into your skin when wearing base layers or thin clothing?
No, I never notice the cordage on my shoulders. If it's warm enough for just base layers I notice a chest pack more and I'm usually sweating underneath it.

Another plus for Rick Young harness is when the temp does change and you go from just base layers to a heavier outer layer(s) it takes 2 seconds to adjust the RY harness to accommodate the added clothing.

I make homemade harnesses out of paracord that are basically the Rick Young harness without the adjustable sliders. They cost next to nothing and weigh next to nothing. They keep my bins right where I need them. I clip the breast strap of my pack under the harness cords that are on my chest and I can bring my bins up and use them without issue. Been doing this for years and I have no plans to change. The only addition I make, some days, is an eyepiece cover for days when it's raining or snowing. I attach it to one of the cords with a small paracord loop when I need it. Otherwise I don't worry about it.

If you wonder whether you'll like the Rick Young harness, just grab a piece of paracord about 6' long and make your own to try out. If you don't like it, you haven't wasted anything.

tdhanses

WKR
This thread has me cracking up and it proves a point that applies to most gear, you have to personally try stuff to see what works for you, what I like you may not.

So look for features, price, durability and whatever else you want and narrow down the list to 1 or a few and return/sell what you don’t like after finding the one you like.

I have tried a number and still own a number as I want different features/options for different hunts, for me there isn’t one perfect bino harness.

Venom One

WKR
This thread has me cracking up and it proves a point that applies to most gear, you have to personally try stuff to see what works for you, what I like you may not.

Agree; it's a personal thing and depends on what's important to you. I went to check out the Rick Young and it's just a couple straps. Not at all what I want in a harness. My primary purpose for a harness is to have a convenient place to put my wind checker, mouth reeds, range finder, and maybe tags and phone. The fact that the harness protects my binos is an added bonus.

montei

FNG
I usually use the Rick young during the summer while shooting and the range and what not and after sweating so much under my marsupial I’m going to give the Rick you g a go this season.
That said other than how warm I get under the marsupial gear, it’s a great harness.

Deepwoods

FNG
Probably underlooked but the cheap vortex bino harness has always met my needs. Its light, durable enough for myself and the straps are ultra thin (could be an issue if your bino was heavy). I wear it under a day pack all of the time without issue.