Better figure it out, Colorado...

S.Clancy

WKR
If it were me, and I lived in Colorado, I would spend some time coming up with a solid wolf state management plan.

One way or the other, wolves are going to have a viable population in Colorado...best to have a plan in place to manage them.

This. One way or another, the outcome is inevitable. Best to put a plan in place.

I am no biologist and do not claim to be but I have spent enough time researching and listening to people who are in the field and based on what I've learned about these wolves; they kill any competition. All the greenies and anti's will say they do not...but they do.
I'm not a biologist either but it's well known among wolf researchers that the number one killer of timber wolves is other timber wolves. They kill rival pack members. Simple as that.

sndmn11

WKR
True that it has happened. The accidental shooting of wolves wasn't prosecuted. But it won't happen again. It won't be forgiven again. Nope, Coloradans haven't crossed that bridge.
There was zero push back on the decision and the intentional process that took place. It set a standard for future incidents so that if and when it does happen again the result will be the same. GCSO and CPW funneled the information well to USFWS allowing that to happen.

Okhotnik

WKR
That will be the end of OTC elk if it happens

Hope all the guys on here praising wolves remember this

Washington just reduced its bull tags by 70 to 80 per cent

You guys don’t understand the politics regarding wolves. You can put management plans in place and well funded anti hunting groups know the plans are not enforceable and go to court find a liberal judge and just shut them down.

Here in Washington radical anti hunting groups like Conservation NW offer large awards to
Prosecute wolf shooters

Of course they offer zero money when elk and sheep are poached

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Hope all the guys on here praising wolves remember this

Washington just reduced its bull tags by 70 to 80 per cent

You guys don’t understand the politics regarding wolves. You can put management plans in place and well funded anti hunting groups know the plans are not enforceable and go to court find a liberal judge and just shut them down.
Exactly!! This was my whole point on management plan. Wont make much, if any, difference at all on the first few hunt plans. Maybe on the 3rd or 4th attempt to thin them out will be successful.

Okhotnik

WKR
Exactly!! This was my whole point on management plan. Wont make much, if any, difference at all on the first few hunt plans. Maybe on the 3rd or 4th attempt to thin them out will be successful.

Washington and Oregon ranchers are really loving the wolf management plans

BuzzH

WKR
Oregon allows the take of wolves for livestock predation, even in Phase I as outlined in their management plan:

This is why State plans are important....if only obviously.

Lethal take of wolves will be authorized in two situations regarding conflict with livestock as
described below. Threat to human safety is a third situation in which the use of lethal force is
allowed, as discussed in Chapter VI of this Plan.

1. To stop a wolf in the act of attacking livestock: On private and public land, a permit is required
for livestock producers, grazing permittees (using public lands), or designated agents to use
lethal force to stop a wolf that is in the act of biting, wounding or killing livestock. Such permits
are issued only after ODFW has confirmed wolves previously have wounded or killed livestock
in the area and efforts to resolve the problem have been deemed ineffective. Efforts to resolve
the problem may either be preventative efforts (i.e., documented non-lethal actions implemented
specifically to minimize or avoid wolf-livestock conflict before the initial depredation), or nonlethal control efforts (i.e., non-lethal actions implemented specifically to minimize or avoid wolflivestock conflict after the initial depredation). The permit holder is required to continue
implementing non-lethal actions to minimize or avoid wolf-livestock conflicts during the life of
the permit and issuance of future permits will be contingent upon this effort. “In the area”
means the area known to be used by the depredating wolves. In some cases, the area may be
specifically delineated by data (i.e., radio telemetry).
Oregon Wolf Conservation and Management Plan /Chapter III – Wolf-Livestock/Domestic Animal Conflicts Page 48
If a wolf is taken under the caught in the act permit, the permit holder must preserve evidence (on
site) of an animal(s) freshly (less than 24 hours) wounded or killed by wolves and ODFW personnel
must confirm the livestock loss or wound was caused by wolves.
A permit is required on private and public land.
 The wolf must be found in the act of attacking, not testing or scavenging.
 There must be fresh evidence that an attack occurred (e.g., visible wounds, tracks
demonstrating a chase occurred).
 The wolf carcass must not be removed or disturbed.
 Any incident must be reported to ODFW or Wildlife Services within 24 hours.
 No identified circumstances exist that are attracting wolf-livestock conflict.
 Permit holder is required to implement non-lethal actions to minimize or avoid wolf livestock conflict during the life of the permit.

2. To stop chronic wolf-related depredation on private and public land: State or federal agents are
authorized to use lethal force on wolves on public or private land at a property owner’s or
permittee request if ODFW has confirmed two depredations in the area by wolves on livestock,
or one confirmed depredation followed by three attempted depredations (testing or stalking).
For such action to occur, the following criteria apply:

 The action must be conducted by authorized state or federal personnel only.
 Attempts to solve the situation through non-lethal means must be documented.
 No identified circumstances exist that are attracting wolf-livestock conflict.
 Evidence does not exist of non-compliance with applicable laws

BuzzH

WKR
Same/Same in Washington:
able 7. Management options to address depredation of livestock and domestic dogs during wolf recovery phases in Washington.

Management Option Endangered Threatened Sensitive Delisted
Wolf location information
to livestock owners
Provided Provided Provided Provided
Non-injurious harassment Allowed Allowed Allowed Allowed
Non-lethal injurious
harassment
Allowed by state/federal agents Allowed with a permit and
training from WDFW
Allowed with a permit and
training from WDFW
Allowed with a permit and
training from WDFW
Relocation Allowed by state/federal agents Allowed by state/federal agents Allowed by state/federal agents Allowed by state/federal agents
Lethal control of wolves to
resolve repeated wolf
livestock conflicts
Allowed by state/federal agents
on a case-by-case basis
Allowed by state/federal agents
on a case-by-case basis
Allowed by state/federal
agents, and livestock owners
(including family members and
authorized employees) as
permitted on private lands and
public grazing allotments they
own or lease
Allowed by state/federal
agents, and livestock owners
authorized employees) as
permitted on private lands and
public grazing allotments they
own or lease
Lethal take of wolves in the
act of attacking (biting,
wounding, or killing)
livestock, including
guarding/herding animals.
Allowed by livestock owners
authorized employees) on
private land they own or lease.
This will be rescinded if used
inappropriately or > 2 incidents
occur annually statewide.
authorized employees) on
private land they own or lease.
This will be rescinded if used
inappropriately or > 2 incidents
occur annually statewide.
authorized employees) on
private land they own or lease
authorized employees) on
private and public land they
own or lease
Lethal take of wolves in the
act of attacking (biting,
wounding, or killing)
domestic dogs (see Chapter
7, Section D)
Not allowed Not allowed Allowed on private and public
land
Allowed on private and public
land

Okhotnik

WKR
More wolf stuff for the guys in Colorado. They're wonderful magnificent animals and only target the weak and the sick. Ranchers should appreciate that wolves are just keeping their livestock healthy.

The wolf huggers will spread their propanda and have you believe that these management plans work and they support ranchers in defending their livestock and that introduction of thousands of wolves are a big benefit.

FYI the ranchers I know in Washington and Oregon advised that they received death threats after having to shoot wolves killing their livestock. And they advised that they were treated like criminals and threatened with prosecution by the state. They spent thousands in attorney fees to defend themselves.

Now its strictly SSS.

Maybe you can wait 15 years to draw a bull tag like we do in Washington state and Oregon once they introduce wolves in your state.

And non residents say good bye to your OTC tags

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
More wolf stuff for the guys in Colorado. They're wonderful magnificent animals and only target the weak and the sick. Ranchers should appreciate that wolves are just keeping their livestock healthy.

Maybe you can wait 15 years to draw a bull tag like we do in Washington state once they introduce wolves in your state.

Exactly why CO better get its act together, or they wont have options to deal with situations like those...

As sad as this is, it gets even harder to swallow with the understanding that hunting organizations are setting idly by with little participation. That includes the NRA down to the BHA. With all the "hunters" out there unwilling to acknowledge the reason these wolves are being used by the enemies of hunting, reality says hunters who enjoy Colorado better get it while the getting is still good

wapitibob

WKR
As sad as this is, it gets even harder to swallow with the understanding that hunting organizations are setting idly by with little participation. That includes the NRA down to the BHA. With all the "hunters" out there unwilling to acknowledge the reason these wolves are being used by the enemies of hunting, reality says hunters who enjoy Colorado better get it while the getting is still good

A western states only option for wolf management is via an approved wolf management plan. A fact lost on most hunters so, what would you have these orgs do?

Bob, asvyou just said, a fact lost on most hunters. Also, why is the NRA, the BHA, etc.... not conditioning the non hunting public in Colorado as we speak. Members pay fees. Why not play the same game as those pushing this ? That’s where we are being misrepresented.

As far as the plan, you are exactly right. The state needs to get on the ball. It’s hard to convince a judge that you are capable of managing a wolf population when you haven’t addressed the issue.

Gobbler36

WKR
Maybe...Idaho still has OTC, which is abysmal at best. There are always good bulls taken every year but there are FAR less animals overall than there used to be. My guess is that CPW will mirror Idaho...wolves will come in and decimate the elk herds but CPW will still rake in as much money as they can by overselling tags. I sure hope I am wrong but I've watched it first hand here in Idaho for the last 20+ years.
Exactly hand out unlimited elk tags and keep NR at 10% no matter how much our elk populations has dropped sounds great.... crazy the other day I googled and saw that Idaho had upwards of 180k elk and now have 90k at best. Really surprised me, anyhow I digress hopefully Colorado will keep fighting the good fight and vote it down

sneaky

"DADDY"
Exactly hand out unlimited elk tags and keep NR at 10% no matter how much our elk populations has dropped sounds great.... crazy the other day I googled and saw that Idaho had upwards of 180k elk and now have 90k at best. Really surprised me, anyhow I digress hopefully Colorado will keep fighting the good fight and vote it down
I just pulled an article on IDFG that says 120k elk. Still down from historic numbers, but well above your 90k estimate.
cfea97669c394d9a97ba0138bb25484b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
What good is a state sanctioned wolf plan when anti hunting organizations ( many times working in conjunction with state wildlife officials) file frivolous lawsuits to render the wolf management plan inoperable ?

The state managed wolf plans are a joke as the anti hunting groups have infiltrated many of the states' wildlife management agencies. Wyoming, Idaho and Montana now are exceptions but soon will change.\ but more and more anti hunting groups are making inroads there too.

FYI - BHA is not a pro hunting organization. They are for more public access to include anti hunting organizations that provide much more funding than individual sportsmen.

Who do you think BHA will listen to? And why would BHA have anti hunting reps on their boards? Wake up folks

Mike7

WKR
The wolves in Idaho are doing just fine with basically an open season on them. Elk calf survival rates were becoming pitiful prior to wolf hunting/trapping really getting going.

Knowing this situation, which has already occurred and so is not some hypothetical, why then do Oregon and Washington, who got their wolves from Idaho, still have such anemic wolf management plans?

How does Colorado avoid this same type of debilitating plan when wolves are a big money maker for locale specific politically dominant groups like the aforementioned Conservation Northwest who play loose with the truth and have an agenda which only reluctantly tolerates any hunting...and certainly not wolf hunting?

These would seem to be some questions that need to be answered when trying to develop a strategy.

wapitibob

WKR
Everybody in the state has a voice in the management plan, despite the angst it may cause us hunters. With the population majority in Oregon along the I-5 corridor, out of touch with ranching and local "hands on" interaction, input for the plan was slanted away from what hunters and ranchers would have liked. That same I-5 corridor voted to eliminate hounds and trapping as a means of Bear and Cougar control. Unfortunately, this state is controlled by the majority who reside on the west side and our game animals are paying a price for that.

In my opinion, Colorado needs to do as Buzz mentioned; go to school on the WY/ID/MT plans. Learn from their experts, the guys who negotiated those plans, and come up with one that will get approved and control measures that will be effective. But, hunters aren't the only ones at the table, and you're dealing with a species that's listed as endangered. You may not get what you want no matter how hard you try.