Better option than Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Boots???

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Hello folks. I've been a lurker for many years and finally decided to join in the discussions. Lots of great knowledge on high end hunting equipment and gear on here for the style of hunting I enjoy.

I have had the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots for a couple years now. They hold up well in the rugged Rocky Mountain high country and are very comfortable for me on "most" terrain. However, I do get a little heel rubbing when going up really steep mountainsides and the boots can get damp inside if I'm not wearing my gaiters in wet weather. Seems that the use of fabric in place of leather on the tongue at the pivot point can't quite keep the water at bay for long periods of exposure to wet weather. Dont know why Kenetrek didn't use a full leather tongue?...No cracks, cuts, tears or any othe damage to the boots and I wax them regularly. I absolutely hate damp or wet feet and sore heels.

I had the Danner Elk Hunter boots by Cabelas for many years prior to the Kenetrek. Although they weren't as comfortable on flat ground and weighed considerably more, they never rubbed my heels on steep inclines and my feet never got wet. The Elk Hunters were solid as a tank. I gave them to my son when i bought the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme so I cant take them back and Cabelas doesnt make the Danner Elk Hunter boot anymore.

So i am in the market for a top of the line boot that will always keep my feet dry and does really well on steep terrain without rubbing my heels and has excellent ankle/ lace-to-toe foot support for side hilling.

What are your suggestions? Preferably looking for feedback from people who have used the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme as well. Thanks so much.

I would contact kenetrek. I had some sizing and rubbing issues and they went above and beyond to help me out. Probably the best customer service I have experienced from anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many variables with each of our feet check out Lathrop, Crispi, schnees, Hoffman, Lowa, scarpa so many good manuf these days and feet so individual

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

I looked at the Lathrop. Pretty expensive, especially when adding the synergy foot beds and custom fit. Hard convincing myself to purchase a $600 pair of boots without trying them on first.

Have any of you used the L&S custom fit Mountain Hunter boot?

I've read this favorable review on the L&S custom boot. Just looking for some more input. Thanks.

Look at Crispi. I have a pair of Kenny’s and they are great. Have had better luck with the fit of Crispi noninsulated boots. If I every get enough miles on my kenetreks to kill them I will replace them with some crispis.

Not to sound like an ass but no boots is going to make hard hiking feel like a stroll on the beach. Some are better than others but I haven’t found a boot yet that solves all foot issues.

Some of the Meindl boots have really great heel locks. The Vakuum Hunter was the best I’ve seen out of over two dozen boots tried.

I did the Lathrop and Sons custom boot process. It was great. I dont think I can offer any more than the couple of detailed reviews on here. I can say that the boots are great and that I had been ordering the wrong size boots, but it was expensive.

LaHunter

WKR
You may want to look at the Lowa Tibet GTX and the Lowa Ticam II boots. Obviously the fit is specific to each individual's feet, but the Tibets seem to work well for lots of folks. I've been using them for several years with no issues. The Ticam II boots are a similar fit, with just a slightly smaller front / toe box area. Both have excellent heel lock. I did a Grand Canyon rim to rim hike in my Ticams and had no issues at all, in spite of some warmer temps and sweaty feet.

wildcat33

WKR
Many better options out there. Ross laid them out for you. I would add zamberlan to that list.

I’m an L&S disciple. I’ve bought two pairs via the classifieds and never done the “custom fit”. They are superb.

Not much else to say that hasn’t already been said. Do you want full leather or synthetic?

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great replies so far. I like a full leather boot for ruggedness. Just have to make sure to keep up on them with leather conditioning wax.

I have always used a boot with 400 grans of Thinsulate. It can get damn cold in November here in Montana. I've seen temps down to -20 deg F while out rifle hunting. The 400 grams of insulation allows me to wear the boot with lighter socks for early season archery without my feet sweating very much. Then helps add warmth along with good wool blend socks during rifle season when there is often a lot of snow and cold temps.

I'm definitely leaning towards the L&S custom fit boot right now. I see they now offer the Mountain Hunter "Warm" with 200 grams of insulation. It's not 400 grams, but sometimes 400 can get a little too warm during summer scouting trips and early fall archery. Maybe 200 grams is the perfect medium for a 'do-all' warm and cold weather boot. So I'm really liking what L&S has to offer so far

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I just emailed L&S to see if they can provide the 200 gram insulation in a custom fit Mountain Hunter "Elite" since that is the highest quality boot they offer. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Last edited:

idig4au

WKR
I've had two pair of Mountain Extreme's......insulated and uninsulated. Both pair were like wearing ski boots compared to a lot of other boot options out there.

Really, I found the mountain extremes not nearly stiff enough for my liking and not on par with a traditional mountaineering boot. Still a great boot if they fit your feet and looking for a more forgiving all around shoe

Kotaman

WKR
I just emailed L&S to see if they can provide the 200 gram insulation in a custom fit Mountain Hunter "Extreme" since that is the highest quality boot they offer. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Do you mean the Mountain Hunter Elite? If so, I can pretty much guarantee you the answer is no.

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the "Elite". My mistake. Post edited. Getting mixed up with my Kenetreks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have always used a boot with 400 grans of Thinsulate. It can get damn cold in November here in Montana. I've seen temps down to -20 deg F while out rifle hunting.

I would never wear my archery season boots for a November hunt......and vice-versa. It's hard to make either decent enough for the other season.

Mosby

WKR
Everyone's foot is different, so what is best is a subjective thing. I have 3 different pair of Lowa's and Zamberlain for hunting out west. My two pair of Lowa's Tibet are uninsulated and 200 gr of Thinsulate. My Zamberlain's are my cold weather boots and are not as stiff as the Lowa's. They are a bit wider than the Lowa's and are equivalent to around 500 gr of thinsulate. I like and recommend both brands. Both are well made IMO.

OP
Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
I would never wear my archery season boots for a November hunt......and vice-versa. It's hard to make either decent enough for the other season.

Has worked just fine for me. Been doing it that way for 25+ years.

Using the appropriate socks for the temps and hiking/pack weight conditions make it work. I have many different sets of socks that I will change out based on the day's weather forecast and where/what I'm doing. But my hunting boots never get worn for casual use or work outside of initial break in.