Beware of Alaska custom cerakote

I recently competed in my first competitive handgun shooting competition down in the lower 48, I finished second to last… but the experience was a fun one. The one thing I noticed everyone else had but me was a flashy cerakote finish, which would obviously explain why I finished where I did. Just as soon as my plane touched down in anchorage I started researching the best places to go to take my shooting skills to the next level. Alaska custom cerakote was the first thing to pop up on google and looked like it was really the only option. To say the least I’m pissed off about the whole “Steve” experience. If he’s going to charge 200$ for labor alone I expect perfection. All in all he had to coat my slide 3 times. The first coat was the wrong color, the second coat flaked off after a week and the third has bubbles indentations and missing spots on the slide. I couldn’t be more disappointed. If you’re looking for custom cerakote stay as far away from Steve’s Jenkee cerakote garage as possible, if his attitude doesn’t stir emotion the final product will.

Attachments

• B402567E-99A1-445C-A2CA-90D0F318B81E.jpeg
    B402567E-99A1-445C-A2CA-90D0F318B81E.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 153
  • BA8CDB6B-797F-4651-B522-4A39B6FD99DC.jpeg
    BA8CDB6B-797F-4651-B522-4A39B6FD99DC.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 151

gbflyer

WKR
I have used Jason Hill at GH Coatings down in WA for several long gun projects. It’s been about 2 years but at the time he was turning them around in 1 week. Work was flawless. There’s a lot of prep involved to do it right.

davsco

WKR
well be careful in general with coating. i had the slide milled on one of my sti 2011s for an optic and then cerakoted. they also coated the underside of the slide and the tightened tolerances are causing a bunch of malfunctions. it's getting better as i sand/blast off the coating but not back to totally reliable yet.

good on you for jumping into the competitive shooting world! us gun owners think we're hot sh1t at a static range but it's a whole different animal when that buzzer goes off and you're on the clock. it will def make you a better shooter! at your next match find a good shooter and ask them to give you a little feedback after each stage. obviously accuracy is a big part of it, but working thru each stage efficiently is also a huge part, and a lot of folk can really improve on that, limiting unnecessary movement, no flat footed reloads, etc.

z987k

WKR
I tried to call them to see what it'd cost to do an action for me and they never answered the phone, returned a call or an e-mail.
There's no way in hell I'd drop something of mine off with a company with that terrible communication.