Beware of Buying from Rokslide Member buckarooboy

I debated whether or not to make this post and publicly air my grievances (especially outside of Festivus season), but in the interest of improving the Rokslide community and possibly saving someone else hassle and lost time/money, I feel compelled to warn y'all against buying from Rokslide member @buckarooboy. The short story is that he sold me an Elite Impulse 34 advertised as having 70# limbs and 28" draw mods but the bow I received was actually 65#/28.5". After initially resisting my request for a refund, he eventually agreed to refund the purchase price but refused to pay for return shipping. In my opinion, which has been unanimously affirmed by the Rokslide community (63-0 at last count), the seller should pay for return shipping in the case of a misrepresented item. I'll provide the full details of the transaction documented with screenshots in the next post, but these 6 photos tell the story:
Original for sale post (https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/lh-elite-impulse-34.156902/):
Screenshot_20200203-191148~2.png
Identification sticker on lower limb (photo taken by me after receiving the bow):
IMG_20200203_191547610.jpg
Draw weight measurement taken by me after fully tightening limb bolts (LCA 2.0 scale read 64.9# peak weight):
IMG_20200203_191642578.jpg
Upper draw mod labeled "IM34-6" (photo taken by me):
IMG_20200203_193151805.jpg
Lower draw mod labeled "IM34-6" (photo taken by me):
IMG_20200203_193139538.jpg
Elite draw mod chart (#6 = 28.5"):
Screenshot_20200210-191844.png

@buckarooboy, I invite you to defend your actions and explain to the Rokslide community why you believe a buyer should bear return shipping costs when the return was prompted by the seller's misrepresentation of key specifications of the item. Or you could just reimburse me $19.85 for return shipping and perhaps salvage your reputation as a Rokslide seller.

INB4 "Quit complaining, it's just $20"
The amount is secondary to the principle of the matter. One who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. Publicly posting this warning might save someone else a significant amount (return shipping on a firearm, for example) though in my case the amount lost is small.

INB4 Part 2 "Quit complaining, the specs were only off by a little bit"
It's the buyer's prerogative to accept or reject a misrepresented item, regardless of the degree of misrepresentation. In my case, the draw weight was "only" off by 7% (65# vs. 70#) and the draw length was "only" off by 2% (28.5" vs 28"), but I wouldn't expect a buyer to accept size 34x36 pants if he paid for 32x34's (6% difference) or a rifle chambered in 270 Winchester if he paid for a 280 Remington (virtually identical ballistic capabilities) or whatever other "trivial" example could be dreamed up. It's the duty of an honest seller to accurately describe his item and to take full responsibility if he makes an error that prompts a return.

OP
Mighty Mouse
Here's the correspondence between myself and the seller. The screenshots at the end confirm all this correspondence.

[Me]: I'm interested in the left-handed 70#/28" Elite Impulse 34 you posted for sale. Could you answer a few questions about the bow:
• Do you know the model year? From want [sic] I've read, Elite manufactured this model from 2016 to 2018.
• Do you know the make of the strings/cables and their approximate age?
• Are you aware of any past dry fires, derailments, limb cracks, or other issues?

[Seller]: Thanks for your inquiry. It is a 2018 model. I bought it new 1 year ago. I shot it some setting it up and took it on one elk hunt where I never fired a shot. The strings are original. I would guess they have 200 or so shots on them. There has been no abuse such as dry firing. It is a really good shooting bow. The reason I am selling is to go down in weight. I am 65 and it strains my shoulder to pull 65 to 70 lbs. I have other pics, if you want more pics send me an email address or phone number. Jim

[Me]: Thanks for the reply. From the photos it looks like there might be some discoloration or chipped paint around the upper limb pocket (or maybe it's just an artifact of the lighting). Would you mind to send me some additional photos? You could post them in this conversation or email them to [email protected]. Thanks!

[Seller]: No problem I will send more pictures right away. That is Montana gumbo. I now have it cleaned off.
[Additional photos received via email]:
2020-02-05_13.28.05.jpg20200124_055443_resized.jpg20200124_055431_resized.jpg

[Me]: Would you take $350 for the bow and rest with you covering shipping and me covering the PayPal fee?

[Seller]: Yeah I will do that. PayPal address is [email protected]

[Me]: Just paid via PayPal Goods & Services. Please provide tracking number when available. Shipping address is:
[Redacted]
Thanks!

[Seller]: Got it, I will ship Friday or Sat and will send you tracking.

[Seller]: USPS Priority # 9114 9023 0722 4541 7942 24. Should arrive Tuesday possibly Wed.

[Me]: The bow arrived today but unfortunately I'm going to have to ask you to take it back and refund my money due to the draw weight and draw length being misrepresented. Your for sale post stated that the bow has 70 lb limbs and 28" draw modules; however, the identification sticker on the lower limb lists a draw weight of 65 lbs, and the draw mods are stamped "IM34-6." According to Elite's spec manual, #6 draw mods correspond to a 28.5" draw length. I would be willing to overlook the 0.5" discrepancy in draw length, but I'm not willing to accept the lower poundage limbs. To verify the sticker, I tightened the limb bolts all the way down, measured the draw weight with a scale, and the peak weight indeed measured right at 65 lbs. Please provide your address and I will get a quote on shipping. You can pay me for the return shipping costs via PayPal or Venmo.

[Seller]: I changed the mods from the original draw length. Draw length is currently 28. The draw weight was fully measured at 70 when I was setting it up. I do not plan on taking the bow back.

[Me]: Can you offer an explanation for why the identification sticker on the lower limb lists 65 lbs as the draw weight? Assuming that is the original sticker, Elite believes this is a 65 lb bow, not a 70 lb bow as you claimed.
Also, the draw length mod is a separate component from the cam, and both mods are clearly stamped with a #6, which corresponds to 28.5" draw length per Elite's manual. A 28" mod would presumably be stamped "IM34-7."

[Seller]: My pro shop when setting im ng [sic] it up a year ago measured lbs and said the limbs were 70 despite label on limb. They measured my draw length at 28 and ordered mods. When mods came in they put them on and called me to say it was done. I never checked the mod to the chart assuming they were correct.
If you do not want to keep the bow, ship it back on your dime and I will reimburse full purchase price upon receiving the bow back.

[Me]: I won't dispute what your pro shop told you. It's possible for measured draw weight to deviate from the manufacturer's stated draw weight for a number of reasons (cables slightly short, string slightly long, inaccurate scale); however, this bow's limbs were designed to produce a peak weight of 65 not 70 lbs. You advertised this bow as having 70 lb limbs, which it does not, as evidenced by the limb sticker and the measurement I took with my bow scale. I'm not accusing you of intentionally deceiving me, but your description of the bow was careless and inaccurate. If you had stated in the for sale post that the bow is equipped with 65 lb limbs but the draw weight actually measured 70 lbs, I would not have made the purchase. I would be willing to overlook the 0.5" draw mod discrepancy, but it is another example of demonstrable inaccuracy in your description.
I believe I should be fully refunded (including return shipping cost) before I ship the bow back since I'm not at fault in this transaction. This isn't a case of buyer's remorse or quibbling over something subjective like cosmetics or fit; the bow was misrepresented in two key specifications. If you refund me in the amount of $385.50 prior to shipping ($360.50 original cost to me + $25 for return shipping), I will consider this matter settled. Are these terms acceptable?

[Seller]: I guess not. I have made a reasonable offer and you have declined. PayPal dispute conditions state you may have to pay return shipping. They also state I may have to return your purchase price if the item is significantly not as described. They may or may not determine this as significant. It also states the process can take as long as 180 days.

[Me]: Exactly how much are you offering to refund? The nominal purchase price of $350.00, or the $360.50 total amount I paid after covering the 3% PayPal fee?
Since I'm not at fault here and since I paid before you shipped, I would expect you to pay before I ship. Are you willing to issue the refund before I return ship?

[Seller]: I will pay you back the total amount of 360.50. Send me PayPal address with an estimate of when you will ship, along with tracking number after you ship. I will refund PayPal amount prior to your shipping.

[Me]: I would like to ask you to reconsider paying for return shipping since the reason for the return is an inaccurate item description on your part. Out of curiosity, I posed the question of return shipping responsibility to the Rokslide community (without revealing your identity), and the unanimous response so far has been that the seller should pay for return shipping in this situation. See thread here: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...turn-shipping-for-misrepresented-item.158640/

[Seller]: No thanks.

[Me]: Then I suppose my best option is to accept your offer to refund the purchase price and pay return shipping myself. My PayPal ID is [email protected]. After receiving $360.50 (net to me), I will ship the bow back to you via USPS within 48 hrs (probably sooner but there's a winter storm forecasted to blow through here tonight that could possibly close the post office tomorrow).

[Seller]: I will have the PayPal payment made by 8 am tomorrow morning.

[Seller]: Payment sent.

[Me]: Just shipped via USPS Priority. Tracking number is 9505515205010036203226 and expected delivery is Saturday. I packaged the bow in the same box you used to send it to me.

[Seller]: Thanks.

[Me]: USPS tracking info shows the package was delivered around noon today. Please confirm that you received the bow in good condition. Thanks.

[Seller]: I havent gotten it yet. It is at post office. Too big from them to deliver. I have to go pick it up. They scanned it delivered. I will get back with you once I get it.

[Seller]: Picked up the bow at the post office this am. It made the trip back in good order.

Schism

WKR
It looks like his only activity on the last 6 months has been in the classifieds section. Prior to that a majority of his participation in the forum has been in the classifieds section.

I won’t buy or sell with him after seeing this thread.

Lowndes

FNG
Whether he was right or wrong in not paying return shipping for an item he clearly misrepresented (he was wrong) - the way he handled his misrepresentation was bush league. The dude should be banned from the classifieds on this site (which is all he seems to use it for).

Rob5589

WKR
It's sad to see people sell their integrity for 19.85. One positive to take away is he took it back. Better to be out 20 bucks than the entire amount.

Ratbeetle

WKR
What a shame to ruin your reputation over 20 bucks. A mistake can happen but the seller has to own up to it and make the buyer whole. The seller in this case handled the situation in about the worst possible way.