Beware of salewa

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I got a set of vulture evo gtx a year ago. I've been pretty happy with them overall but with only like 50 miles on them a lace failed. I replaced it with paracord in the field and just lived with it to finish the season.

I recently contacted the manufacturer telling them which boot I have asking what laces i need. (They sell a bunch of different size and styles on their website)

They emailed back and said :
"Thanks for reaching out. In an effort to cut down on manufacturing waste we do not carry specific replacement laces for our footwear. Any generic boot lace from an outdoor or hunting store will work great for your boots."

These boots have the lace lock which doesn't work worth a damn with the wrong size lace and a different amount of stretch in the lace completely changes the fit and comfort of the boot.

"Just go buy any boot lace to put on there"🙄

stump06

WKR
Damn, I just bought another pair of salewa's. Thought I was gonna have buyers remorse for a min.

prm

WKR
Doesn’t seem too much to ask for them to simply state the size lace for a boot. I’m sure they do know what size laces they use.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t seem too much to ask for them to simply state the size lace for a boot. I’m sure they do know what size laces they use.
Thanks. Someone finally gets it.

Not saying they are the devil or that their products suck. Not saying you shouldn't buy their boots. Like I said I have been overall happy with the boots.
That customer service response is a joke at best.
Just wanted people to be aware that they may also have difficulty when asking for basic information from them.

Or maybe im just being a crybaby 🤷‍♂️ don't really gaf either way

I put over 1k miles on my mtn trainers before the laces burnt out on them. And they quite literally burnt out in August. So I bought a three pack of high review boot laces on amazon. No problems. Couldn't justify the salewa shipping when you can get equal laces on amazon in multi packs. These laces will outlast my boots and I'll have new ones to replace when I burn through the next pairs laces.

Best boot I've ever owned. Not a single blister from these. Hot spots from side hilling, but no blisters. Will be ordering another pair soon. These ones are pretty much at the end of their life now. I'll have to take pictures of the current condition next to a fresh pair. 3 seasons is about the best I can get out of a boot unless I let the holes and bald soles be.

(Photos are from August, so they're even more F'd up now. Laces from Amazon are still mint though!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_215156.jpg
    IMG_20200802_215156.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20200802_213059~2.jpg
    IMG_20200802_213059~2.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 59
OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I put over 1k miles on my mtn trainers before the laces burnt out on them. And they quite literally burnt out in August. So I bought a three pack of high review boot laces on amazon. No problems. Couldn't justify the salewa shipping when you can get equal laces on amazon in multi packs. These laces will outlast my boots and I'll have new ones to replace when I burn through the next pairs laces.

Best boot I've ever owned. Not a single blister from these. Hot spots from side hilling, but no blisters. Will be ordering another pair soon. These ones are pretty much at the end of their life now. I'll have to take pictures of the current condition next to a fresh pair. 3 seasons is about the best I can get out of a boot unless I let the holes and bald soles be.

(Photos are from August, so they're even more F'd up now. Laces from Amazon are still mint though!)
Thanks for the useful information on laces. Do you have a link to the ones you bought?

MattB

WKR
While I agree, how hard is it to remove a lace from one of your boots and measure it? It is not as though, absent Salewa giving you the information, it would be undiscoverable.

OP
Buffinnut

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
After my frustrated response to the original email he said he didn't know they had the long round laces in stock and would be happy to send me a free pair. He still didn't know which length I needed but they are apparently sending a free pair of the longer ones so I can't complain.

Spoonbill

WKR
This feels like a "the outfitter didn't cook me breakfast!" thread
Not sure about you Lyle, but I expect a 4 course breakfast complete with a white table cloth and the finest hand polished silver on my backcountry elk hunt. Also, if the water isn't Fiji bottled water ( or Evian if i have to slum it) then I will be disappointed.

JDZ

WKR
I'm guessing there are no actual boots in the same building as where the customer service person sits and answers e mail and phone calls. And the effort required to find the answer for you is more than the customer service employee is willing (or even allowed) to put forth. The actual boot factory is probably 6 or 7 time zones away, unless you called Italy or Romania.