Beware of the Steripen Ultralight

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've gone through 2 now and know from other forums that others are having the same issue. The rechargable Ultralight is only good for less than a dozen cycles before saying it needs recharging. I ran mine through a couple 24 hour charging cycles and both times I got less that 12 cycles. The second one I got the UV light was fickering also.

Yup, I tried it and returned it....the classic is the only way to go! Mine is 4-5 seasons old and never skips a beat

Got an ultralight this year as a secondary unit. Used for 10 days and probably 3 or 4 cycles per day on average.
It only claims 20 cycles per charge I think. And that is in ideal conditions. If its cold or if your water is cold, its going to be less. I noticed battery life on the Ultra goes down as well in cold weather.
I didn't have a functional problem, I think I charged it a couple times, and it didn't seem excessive but honestly I wasn't paying that close attention.

Kostrize

WKR
I have the regular version and it’s also had issues with batteries. Just rarely works and I can’t trust it anymore. Replaced with an MSR Trail Base

OP
bbassi

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Got an ultralight this year as a secondary unit. Used for 10 days and probably 3 or 4 cycles per day on average.
It only claims 20 cycles per charge I think. And that is in ideal conditions. If its cold or if your water is cold, its going to be less. I noticed battery life on the Ultra goes down as well in cold weather.
I didn't have a functional problem, I think I charged it a couple times, and it didn't seem excessive but honestly I wasn't paying that close attention.
Did you charge it daily? I realize temperature can affect battery life. These were tested in my house with tap water. The first one I had got 4 cycles before the battery light came on. Charged overnight and got 6 before the light came on. The second one I got 11 on the first charge. 8 on the recharge. I can't image it would have gotten better in the field. I'm pretty bummed because I really like the thing for the size and weight. I ended up returning it though and ordering a Traveler to replace it.
ETA: Maybe you got a good one. I'm sure they are not all bad, but I know I'm not the only one with this experience so I think it's something worth mentioning.

Did you charge it daily? I realize temperature can affect battery life. These were tested in my house with tap water. The first one I had got 4 cycles before the battery light came on. Charged overnight and got 6 before the light came on. The second one I got 11 on the first charge. 8 on the recharge. I can't image it would have gotten better in the field. I'm pretty bummed because I really like the thing for the size and weight. I ended up returning it though and ordering a Traveler to replace it.
ETA: Maybe you got a good one. I'm sure they are not all bad, but I know I'm not the only one with this experience so I think it's something worth mentioning.
I didn't have to charge it everyday. I think it was probably once every 2 or 3 days. Didn't notice the battery light go on either.
Only 4 or 6 cycles out of a charge (and indoors no less) is definitely crappy performance.
Seems like the this is another case of some being good and others being junk. Its happened before with steripen.
I think the Classic and the Ultra are the two that are most reliable at this point. Its too bad, I was really liked the form factor and weight of the ultralight. But it doesn't work, I'm potentially carrying a paperweight.