BH 209 with powder charging machines

JBivens

FNG
New to ML. I was going to buy a RCBS Chargemaster for determining powder weights for my loads. Noticed both RCBS and Hornady both say not for use with Blackpowder. I assume that this does not include 209 as each cylinder/grain is of the same weight? I want to set all my pre loads up at the same weight and it seems like these machines would do the job better/faster than by hand.

Can I use these or do they not work for 209?

ENCORE

WKR
I also use a Chargemaster and it works well.

Black powder is extremely sensitive to ANY type of spark, which is why it should NEVER be used in the Chargemaster. Substitutes such as BH209 are not nearly as sensitive.

muddydogs

WKR
A Chargemaster seems like a big expense just to weight out BH209 charges if that's all your using it for. How many precharges are you going to load? I never got into the Chargemaster or the like but I use my RCBS powder thrower and digital scale to weight out 100 charges in about 15 minutes. A lower end digital scale and a powder dipper is all one needs to weight out charges quickly.

ENCORE

WKR
In a competition we'll easily burn up 7,000grs+ of BH209 in two days. Extreme accuracy demands consistency. And you're right, if only weighing out BH and nothing else and not shooting competitions, you don't even need a scale for hunting charges. Volume is close enough.

However, if you also shoot SML, that changes things. No volume, no cheap digital scales.