BH209 volume vs weight

I have been doing some reading and I am curious what you all do for BH 209 measurement?

Reason I ask is there appears to be a case for both volume and weight methods. Weighing charges seems to be more consistent from load to load, although marginally. I have read that volume will be more consistent from lot to lot of powder. I have used volume thus far and shot single hole groups so I know it works. I thought about weighing my charges this year but I know I will be going through multiple lots so I thought maybe I should just stick with volume. So, what has worked for you? If you have done both did you actually notice a difference?

Can't say I've noticed a difference. I always measured by volume because I had a volume mesaurer (can't think of what that thing is called) and didnt have an accurate scale. Then I got a scale and started weighing thinking it would be more accurate..

I have since read somewhere that Western Powders claimed measuring by weight was more accurate.

I still prefer to weigh just because its less messy and I waste less

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve done both, volume seems to be fine and it doesn’t seem to be as finicky as smokeless powders so no need to be 100% perfect. I now just use the bh209 volume measuring tubes.

Rich M

WKR
You are wanting to work up a long distance load, so weight might be better.

If you think about it, the powder drop on your loading bench is a volume compartment that produces consistent weights.

OP
MuleyFever
You are wanting to work up a long distance load, so weight might be better.

If you think about it, the powder drop on your loading bench is a volume compartment that produces consistent weights.

Yeah, I can see where weight may be better when trying to be consistent at longer ranges.

rayporter

WKR
gunpowder is meant to be weighed.

the only reason volume came to exist is because it is too hard to carry a scale afield.

volume works, and works well, but it is only an approximation of a given weight. also black powder and its subs is very forgiving.

ENCORE

WKR
For the average hunter who doesn't shoot beyond a couple hundred yards, there's not much to worry about loading by volume as long as one's consistent in their method. However, LONG RANGE is a whole different matter. Once you go beyond 300yds things have to be more precise.
Lot to lot does matter.

A friend and also my rifle builder put together a video that you may find interesting. Jeff is a top quality rifle builder, but is also an extremely accurate shooter. Jeff has won many of the competitions for modern inline rifles at the NMLRA range at Friendship, IN.

OP
MuleyFever
I have always measured by volume as I said. So I measured 120gn by volume and poured it onto the scale and it weighed 95gn. If I use the .7 multiplier a max load should be 84gn by weight.

Fatcamp

WKR

ENCORE

WKR
So you load bullet tip down first?
Tough to do with loose propellant. When I was shooting the BP Xpress and pellets, yes, load the bullet/sabot first, drop in the pellets and close the cap. To load, unscrew the cap and tip it into the barrel.
The following is a photo showing bullet nose down.

100_4899.JPG

I also weight my BH209 and have found it more consistent than with a volume measurer. I also carry the pre measured powder in a tube and bullets in another tube.
I use this holder and carry it either in my bino pouch or jacket pocket.

Fatcamp

WKR
Thanks guys. I have the tubes, just wasn't sure what to do with them. Bought the rifle a couple months ago but haven't messed with it until I knew we drew a tag. Found out a couple days ago so pretty exciting. Figured it was better to be prepared than play catch-up..

eltaco

WKR
Do any of you have a recommendation for water tight tubes with screw on caps?

I bought a bunch of Blackhorn tubes, and the lids just push on. I’m concerned they’ll come open when riding around in the pack during a hunt. Maybe a non-issue, but threaded lids seem more secure.

I bought some of the screw on cap tubes for the same reason. They seem to be more secure to me but honestly never had any problems with the others.

ENCORE

WKR
Do any of you have a recommendation for water tight tubes with screw on caps?

I bought a bunch of Blackhorn tubes, and the lids just push on. I’m concerned they’ll come open when riding around in the pack during a hunt. Maybe a non-issue, but threaded lids seem more secure.
Buy Lane's tubes off ebay. They seal and remain sealed.

I've tested many different tubes by adding a couple .177cal pellets to the bottom of the tube, then fill the tube with common household flour. Then I put the tubes in a bucket of water where they rest at the bottom for 24hrs.

Lane's tubes you can pull out of the bucket, dry the outside off and then remove the cap and the flour will be as dry as when you first put it in the tube. All the stuff you buy at say craft stores that you think might work, are all junk and will leak.

Examples:

Lane's. Notice not a single minute area of moisture anywhere.

tubes Lane.jpg

Craft store tube example. I think this one is from Michael's. Without even opening the cap, you can see how it leaked moisture.

tubes Michaels tubes.JPG

That is a great idea for a test. I never thought of that and I was more worried about them just opening and spilling powder. I am going to try this to see how mine do with a flour test,