BHA Colorado Wolf Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

brocksw

WKR
Found this on bowsite's forum. Someone wrote into BHA about this and this is the response they received. Post was made by username MichaelArnette on bowsite.

"Got this email from BHA today. I would encourage anyone who is a member or is interested in being a member to continue to put polite pressure on them to address the issue of predator management and ballot box biology.
I think this is a big step in the right direction:

Hi Michael,

I really appreciate you reaching out on this very important issue. We traditionally don't engage on species specific issues but as you very thoughtfully laid out, there is more going on here (ballot box biology) that needs attention. I want you to know that your email helped the decision to weigh in on this issue more formally. I really appreciate you reaching out and want you to know that your concerns are definitely heard and that it's a priority for BHA to be responsive to our members and act on your concerns. You are our boots on the ground, so please never hesitate to reach out. We have our work cut out for us being the voice for public lands, waters, and wildlife...the threats they face are very real and require our close attention....and as we grow and take on more in more places, sometimes we're a little slower than we'd like to mobilize around an issue, and I appreciate the nudge. I hope we can count on your support in the future. We need members like you to keep us strong.

Thank You!

Statement:

The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and the Public Trust Doctrine define fish and wildlife resources as the property of the people and managed by the state and federal agencies entrusted with their stewardship. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers acknowledges this model as the foundation of science-based fish and wildlife management and we support hunting, fishing and trapping as appropriate management tools. BHA does not endorse advancing wildlife management policies and decisions by state or federal legislation or voter referendums and ballot initiatives. We are obligated as an organization committed to hunters and anglers to advance sound stewardship policies that are guided by science over politics, emotion, and conjecture.

While the presence of wolves and evidence of natural colonization in Colorado has instigated passionate conversations, BHA’s policies related to wildlife management remain unchanged. We do, however, recommend the following actions be considered related to future wolf management needs in the state:

• Update Colorado’s dated wolf management plan to incorporate new science, wildlife and habitat data, and the growing body of evidence that suggests natural colonization of the grey wolf (Canis lupus) is a reality in Colorado. • Direct the appropriate decision-makers to study, evaluate, and secure new sources of funding to support the new financial burden of wolf management in Colorado. • Develop a plan to evaluate potential livestock depredations and community conflicts, provide for ongoing monitoring, and create a compensation program that mitigates livestock losses for impacted commercial producers. • Direct the appropriate decision-makers to create durable policies for any new livestock compensation programs that protect state-based revenue sources provided by hunters and anglers (Game Cash Fund) and create legal compliance with and insulation for federal funds provided by the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act of 1937 (Pittman–Robertson). • Facilitate cross-jurisdictional collaboration with neighboring states and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service related to future wolf management needs in Colorado.

Brien Webster Program Manager Backcountry Hunters & Anglers"

Last edited:

Scoutman

FNG
They can do what they like but ranchers, etc, will keep handling predators as they have for generations. SSS

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: OMB

WCB

WKR
Where can I go and drink IPA'S in a micro brewery wearing my Kuiu and Sitka gear in the off season without BHA? And which IPA goes with a Kuiu katana soft-shell?

If you don't have thick rimmed glasses, plaid shirt, and an ironic mustache it doesn't matter!

I was initially intrigued that they had made a statement. That lasted until the second paragraph, the third completed the circle.

Don't upset the "non-hunting user groups" we need their money.

I went to one of their pint nights with a friend who is a member. I was cautiously curious to see what they were superficially about. It seemed like a good deal, people of diverse backgrounds (hunters, hikers, and mountain bikers) gathered to speak about their appreciation for wilderness. Conspicuously absent was any mention of this issue or anything remotely contentious. I went home with a buzz but pretty clearly able to see how they hook members.

Reactions: OMB

Okhotnik

WKR
I was initially intrigued that they had made a statement. That lasted until the second paragraph, the third completed the circle.

Don't upset the "non-hunting user groups" we need their money.

I went to one of their pint nights with a friend who is a member. I was cautiously curious to see what they were superficially about. It seemed like a good deal, people of diverse backgrounds (hunters, hikers, and mountain bikers) gathered to speak about their appreciation for wilderness. Conspicuously absent was any mention of this issue or anything remotely contentious. I went home with a buzz but pretty clearly able to see how they hook members.

I used to be a member and had anti gun and anti hunting hikers started showing up to meetings and were welcomed ( more money) . Definitely not pro hunting. Much better organizations.

I’ve attended pint nights, events, and even the Rendezvous in Boise last year. I’ve attended enough events and spoken with enough national and state board members to form an educated opinion on if the group supports my interests as a hunter.

I am not, and never will be a member.

EDIT: I would be curious to know what the original email was that solicited the response from BHA. Some context would be nice to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would love to be pointed in the direction where some of you have discovered what the motives of BHA are. I am currently a member became one last January, however I am true blue about public land hunting. I have never dug too deep into whom they fund. I also have never had time to attend events tho. I’d be interested to learn if their efforts have gone into anti hunting.

Scoutman

FNG
The wolf problem was caused by depending on the government to save you. I hear distant shots every fall, don't know what they might be shooting at, neither does anyone else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.