BHA coming out against the E plus system

TSAMP

WKR
I agree the landowner should be allowed to make money off selling access to their lands. However profit from the tag, I don't agree with. So I align with BHA here. I believe the land owner themselves and immediate family should get a reduced tag for their own personal use on their own personal land.

That's what I think, as of now.

Jimbee

WKR

I personally like the E plus system in NM, it offers great access to otherwise un accessible public land. (I've shot 2 bulls on E plus access land)..

Thoughts?
Is the e plus system the system that allows land owners to sell a certain number of tags that mostly go to outfitters that sell them to the highest bidder? This is the way I understand it. I hunted NM once through an outfitter friend of a friend kinda deal. I wasn't impressed with the system, it seems like it prices the average hunter out of the game.

TSAMP

WKR
Is the e plus system the system that allows land owners to sell a certain number of tags that mostly go to outfitters that sell them to the highest bidder? This is the way I understand it. I hunted NM once through an outfitter friend of a friend kinda deal. I wasn't impressed with the system, it seems like it prices the average hunter out of the game.
Read the article. I think your questions would be answered.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed several bulls with e plus tags. I think the state has done a good job evolving the system over the years.

Like any commodity, once the demand goes up the price does too. I used to use a UW SLO archery tag in an obscure unit as my fall back and would pay $500-750 for it forever then about 2014 it started climbing and was over $4k last year. That priced me out but good for them, we're still a country founded on capitalism and they're making it work for them. Any small land owner in one of the poorest states in the nation that can capitalize on a system that won't ever be perfect deserves to do so.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Make LO tags RANCH ONLY! Not unit wide. stop the profit these crooks are making from them!
So you're fine with giving up all the public access to private that comes with the program?

Last edited:
OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
In exchange the uw tag sellers have to give access to their private if they get a unit wide tag.

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
In exchange the uw tag sellers have to give access to their private if they get a unit wide tag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Doesn't this price a lot of people out, or no?

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider

Not hardly... That kind of thinking seems backwards to me. So they're exploiting a resource that the state manages by issuing tags for?
Seems like that train of thought would work in areas that are OTC or where land is "leased" for hunting to be managed privately, like most of the country is.

So you're fine with giving up all the public access to private that comes with the program?

You only get access if you buy the landowner voucher, correct?

It is a rich persons sport down there. You would think the residents would want the tags.

Limit sale of vouchers to nonresidents to 10% (6% with a guide and 4% DIY).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
You only get access if you buy the landowner voucher, correct?

It is a rich persons sport down there. You would think the residents would want the tags.

Limit sale of vouchers to nonresidents to 10% (6% with a guide and 4% DIY).

No, if the rancher sells a unit wide tag, the property is open to the public draw hunters to hunt.

All of that information is readily available on the nmfg website..

Gotcha. And are those ranches that go unit wide worth hunting? I have heard that the decent ranches stay ranch only and only the small/below average go unit wide. Probably some variability in there.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
Gotcha. And are those ranches that go unit wide worth hunting? I have heard that the decent ranches stay ranch only and only the small/below average go unit wide. Probably some variability in there.

They can't get tags unless they can prove that elk use them..

I hunted a 4k acre piece of eplus last year on a draw tag that was great.

Here's 34 for example, I'm guessing most of available e plus ground is water..
8bb7a0738c9be982757797e3fc264a1e.jpg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! Plenty of high value public land elk in New Mexico. I actually would prefer ALL the LO tags to be put back in to the regular draw. Especially if the LO isnt planning to do anything but sell them anyway.

NDGuy

WKR

Does the program offer pint nights like BHA? Then NO

KHNC

WKR
I've killed several bulls with e plus tags. I think the state has done a good job evolving the system over the years.

Like any commodity, once the demand goes up the price does too. I used to use a UW SLO archery tag in an obscure unit as my fall back and would pay $500-750 for it forever then about 2014 it started climbing and was over $4k last year. That priced me out but good for them, we're still a country founded on capitalism and they're making it work for them. Any small land owner in one of the poorest states in the nation that can capitalize on a system that won't ever be perfect deserves to do so.
How do you feel about the Gila tags now going for 15-25k each? Bit much dont you think? At 16A LO tag was 5500 in 2011.

OP
WRO

WRO

WKR
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! Plenty of high value public land elk in New Mexico. I actually would prefer ALL the LO tags to be put back in to the regular draw. Especially if the LO isnt planning to do anything but sell them anyway.
What do you think the landowners will do when the elk, that eat their crops and compete with their cattle, and no longer have value?

Last edited: