BHA seems “all-in” with Biden

brocksw

WKR

Surprised me but is good to see.
New Jersey last October

Billinsd

WKR
Selling access to or consumption of wildlife to the highest bidder.
Access to private property or access through private property to public land, or access to private property to hunt "exotic animals" that aren't controlled or managed by individual states?

Where can I find the facts that would explain why BHA isn't actually advocating for hunters and shouldn't have our support? I'm not saying it's not true, but I don't want to sift through 24 pages of stuff to find things I'll have to go fact check.

Access to private property or access through private property to public land, or access to private property to hunt "exotic animals" that aren't controlled or managed by individual states?

I didn't mean access in a land access manner but access to the rights/opportunity to use or kill wildlife.

Hoodie

WKR
Where can I find the facts that would explain why BHA isn't actually advocating for hunters and shouldn't have our support? I'm not saying it's not true, but I don't want to sift through 24 pages of stuff to find things I'll have to go fact check.

Itś gonna be tough to boil it down for you.

I´d honestly recommend you look at what your state´s chapter has done and base your decisions off that.

In Oregon, I´ve benefitted enough personally to justify my annual dues thus far.

I would say, despite a lot of horseshit on both end of the debate, it´s probably worth reading through the thread to formulate an opinion. Plenty of people who have been members have made strong arguments for supporting other organizations. Plenty of BHA members have made strong arguments in the organization´s defense.

*Edited for being a dumbass with bad facts.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR

That is good to see.

It is good to see. The fact you have to qualify it with "surprised", is not good though. Still step in the right direction, credit due where due.

brocksw

WKR
Itś gonna be tough to boil it down for you.

A good example of why would be Colorado´s BHA chapter working in conjunction with the Humane Society to end spring bear hunting in 2013, while just yesterday California´s chapter came out with a statement against a bill sponsored by the Humane Society to ban all bear hunting in California.
I could be wrong,but I thought the bear ban took place in the early 90s....like a decade before BHA was even formed. Perhaps I'm wrong or missing something. But I had it in my head the CO bear referendum was in like 92.

Hoodie

WKR
I could be wrong,but I thought the bear ban took place in the early 90s....like a decade before BHA was even formed. Perhaps I'm wrong or missing something. But I had it in my head the CO bear referendum was in like 92.

You are correct sir, I shall amend my statement.

Hoodie

WKR
Further fact checking illustrates that not only was I wrong on the timeline, I was wrong about BHA being involved in the Colorado ban at all.

BHA didn´t exist at the time of the CO ban.

Apparently the source of that confusion is that Dave Petersen was vocal in his support of the spring bear/hound hunting ban at the time it occurred, and he later became BHA´s Vice Chair of Conservation. Not at all the same thing as BHA being directly involved.

That´s my bad for poor fact checking.

Billinsd

WKR
God help you. You don´t hunt D16 do you? That´s a tough unit.
I have in the past for deer, archery and rifle; mountain Quail (San Diego is probably best place in the country!), Valley Quail, Turkey, and wild pigs before they were pretty much wiped out. Yes D16 is tough, because of the damn Chaparral on public land, hunter pressure and drought. I'm a Rockstar hunter once I leave the county. Usually I come home empty handed in SD county.

Hoodie

WKR
I have in the past for deer, archery and rifle; mountain Quail (San Diego is probably best place in the country!), Valley Quail, Turkey, and wild pigs before they were pretty much wiped out. Yes D16 is tough, because of the damn Chaparral on public land, hunter pressure and draught. I'm a Rockstar hunter once I leave the county. Usually I come home empty handed in SD county.

My first two seasons of mule deer hunting were down there. It kicked my ass. I would say it probably gave me an unrealistic perception of how difficult it is to kill a forked horn on public land.

I think about going back sometimes for revenge, but I always talk myself out of it. Pretty country though, especially further east in the unit.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
I think about going back sometimes for revenge, but I always talk myself out it. Pretty country though, especially further east in the unit.
My best and last buck in D16, in 2009, an old mature buck. I'm as proud of this buck as my 350 Bull Elk in Utah. I killed this buck about 25 miles east of the city of San Diego on public land. It was the most rugged, boulder hopping, thick brush hunt of my entire life to date!!! About 6 miles from the paved road and my civic!! I was a real bubba too!!!

Attachments

• IMGP1675.JPG
    IMGP1675.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMGP1677.JPG
    IMGP1677.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
My best and last buck in D16, in 2009, an old mature buck. I'm as proud of this buck as my 350 Bull Elk in Utah. I killed this buck about 25 miles east of the city of San Diego on public land. It was the most rugged, boulder hopping, thick brush hunt of my entire life to date!!! About 6 miles from the paved road and my civic!! I was a real bubba too!!!

Thatś a sweet buck for D16 man. I think in probably two weeks of backpacking hunting across two seasons out there I laid eyes on maybe two legal bucks. Never one anywhere near as old as that guy.

A San Diego buck bigger than a forky is a rare thing indeed. I´d be proud of that one too.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I´d honestly recommend you look at what your state´s chapter has done and base your decisions off that.

The BHA chapter in Michigan basically went dark in early 2020. There were some really active members who were communicating frequently years prior and now the only alerts I get are from the national email. Even prior to that I had heard some grumblings that nat'l leadership was getting very cozy with democratic lawmakers. I did not end up renewing my membership for 2021.