BHA Supporting Legislation Outlawing the Sale of Information on Big Game Locations

lak2004

WKR
I like to focus on the good an organization does. Will you agree with all of their objectives? No. But do the pros outweigh the cons? Sometimes. I don't like everything RMEF does and says as an organization, but I still give them my hard earned money and spend time volunteering. I think the good outweighs the bad, but the bad gets more publicity.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I think both the selling of information and the guiding industry suck. Just because a bill only targets one of them instead of both doesn't make it bad in my mind. While I'd rather see both addressed, I'll take what I can get. Hopefully Idaho follows suit.

MattB

WKR
If the guys who are selling way points hold guide licenses and the relevant forest service permits so that they can legitimately generate income based on public land, I don't have a problem with it.

I like seeing the BHA fighting for public access. It’s what they claim they do. So, it’s good to see them actually doing it. Assuming there is a deeded right of way to these accesses. If not, suing the USFS alone doesn’t appear to be a beneficial move. Why not name the landowners actually blocking the access in the suit as well? Right is right. And, I hope they have a strategy in mind for doing it that way. If not, it’ll last about two hours in a court room. If that. Time will tell.

I’m not nit picking either. I’m just saying in order for the suit against the USFS to be considered legit, there has to be documentation giving the public the right of way through there. If past cases are going to be considered presedent examples in the outcome.

BuzzH

WKR
WV Mountaineer, there are many people that are much smarter than you involved in that potential lawsuit...with a metric chit ton of experience with public access. Probably have forgotten more about prescriptive easements, access research, and litigation on such issues than you and I will ever know, combined. They have done their due diligence, that's a fact.

This isn't their first rodeo and this isn't the JV team that's working on this one...

Schaaf

WKR
Also BHA is working to oppose MT HB 265, which would politicize the conservation easement approval process in MT. And, had it been in effect at the time, prevented the horse creek easement.

So, as is the case with most organizations, nothing is perfect, but good things are happening.
Matt is correct.

I would also point out that this was the Montana Chapter supporting SB 127. I voted for the chapter to support that bill. BHA's Chapters have their Board Members names on the website. We are for the most part, all on social media. Have a problem with what your state chapter is doing? Look them up and reach out to them. We do our best to reflect the interests for membership in our areas. For those interested, SB 127 passed the MT Senate today 43-7.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone heard any updates to the banning of scouting packages in Montana? I have not been able to find anything searching for the MT legislature recent actions. Just want to make sure we're good to go on scouting packages this year. We have a few guys interested.

hflier

WKR
Think about it. Fat lazy assed hunter down at the hotel or his camper. Spotter goes out and spies the animal. Sends fat lazy assed hunter coordinates. Fat Lazy hunter walks to the spot and yes there may be some skill involved, but it isn't hunting. If you don't bound conditions strange crap will happen. Think there isn't a market for it? Look how many people pay to hunt animals for crazy sums in penned areas. Think about if said hunter can cut his cost and claim it was a fair chased hunt. Traditional outfitting isn't the same. Getting a client on game isn't always easy.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Why aren't hunting apps and other tech tools considered the same as coords for animal location?
Both are a tools that can create a potential increase in success. Who gets to determine the line?
Something to always keep in mind.
Where there is money one will find ones willing to deceive.

R

Redside

Lil-Rokslider

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Think about it. Fat lazy assed hunter down at the hotel or his camper. Spotter goes out and spies the animal. Sends fat lazy assed hunter coordinates. Fat Lazy hunter walks to the spot and yes there may be some skill involved, but it isn't hunting. If you don't bound conditions strange crap will happen. Think there isn't a market for it? Look how many people pay to hunt animals for crazy sums in penned areas. Think about if said hunter can cut his cost and claim it was a fair chased hunt. Traditional outfitting isn't the same. Getting a client on game isn't always easy.

Most of our clients aren’t fat or lazy. They have less opps than you or I but usually they just don’t live close to where they can get a tag.
And we’re not just spotters. We provide unit info like goHunt etc. we do our scouting in summer, well before hunters arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redside

Lil-Rokslider

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
We've created laws banning the sale of game meat, because we recognize the negative impact that the commoditization of the fruits of our labor would have on management, conservation and public perception. Why do we feel different about the commoditization of the experience. I don't care about the physical condition of consumers of these types of services (fat/lazy or not) so much as the fact that they're shortcutting the process and can't possibly appreciate the resource the way they should. I'm not oblivious to how self-righteous I sound but they just plain haven't earned it and they don't deserve it. I think these services are exploitative in the same way as televangelists. They take something sacred and bastardize it for quick buck.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
“Quick buck?” You’ve never worked in my scouting business.

I guess you need to meet some of these guys who use our service.

Many of the comments on this thread are imagined stereotypes.

Most of the hunters I’ve served over the last 21 years are life-long 30’s to middle- aged hunters who don’t live near the area they want to hunt. And they have just as much right to be there as any bitter angry local (or other non resident) who thinks because they hunted there it’s “theirs”. Most hunters I meet in the woods are there because someone told them about that spot. I guess they don’t earn it either.

We lost 2 million hunters in the last years, do that one or two more times and we might lose hunting as we know it. If I can get a few more guys to stay in the sport, I’m gonna sleep well at night (even if I get paid to do it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I'm not oblivious to how self-righteous I sound but they just plain haven't earned it and they don't deserve it.

Yet you did it anyway. AND you will use GPS, GoHunt, OnX, Top Spot, and other such tools to help yourself.

Robby - I thought the same thing about hunter numbers. Hunters used to be gentlemen, these days too many are over-competitive jerks.

The loss of hunters - loss of places to go and folks to go with, the crazy preference point game - planning hunts 5-10-20 years in the future, and putting up with this kind of competition crap. Sucks the fun right out of it.

Last edited:

hflier

WKR
Robby I think we actually agree. I think guides work hard. I am worried this change would undercut guides.