BHA Supports an Eco-Terrorist to Head BLM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandy321

WKR
Still waiting for someone to tell me what BHA has actually accomplished (on their own, not on the coat-tails of RMEF or Trout Unlimited).

Lots of praise for an organization that doesn't have a single accomplishment to its name outside of some local stream cleanup.

I went to their website again, plenty of fancy slogans and saying why I should donate, but zero results/accomplishments posted.

What public land/water access have they secured? Serious question, as that is their stated mission.

Schaaf

WKR
Still waiting for someone to tell me what BHA has actually accomplished (on their own, not on the coat-tails of RMEF or Trout Unlimited).

Lots of praise for an organization that doesn't have a single accomplishment to its name outside of some local stream cleanup.

I went to their website again, plenty of fancy slogans and saying why I should donate, but zero results/accomplishments posted.

What public land/water access have they secured? Serious question, as that is their stated mission.
I'm too busy to start laying down links for you but study up on the Horse Creek Conservation Easement in MT. 20k acres of perpetual public access that wouldn't have happened without BHA leading the way and pushing it across.

ethan

WKR
Lots of bickering back and forth here, not sure why I read so many of the posts. I will say I am skeptical of BHA anymore. Not because of one decision that may or may not make total sense to me, but because of a lot of decisions that may or may not make sense to me. i think there are some good folks involved at the local levels of bha, but the affiliations and connections I see over and over and over with the higher levels of the organization is what has me concerned. i have a hard time seeing how consistently aligning with groups/people that are so blatantly against the tings that I love will turn out for the best in the long run. I’m not saying one way or another if bha is the devil or not, I’m just saying I’m extremely
skeptical. So my opinion and 7 bucks will get you an overpriced, locally produced, crappy tasting ipa......👍

brocksw

WKR

A lot of BHA accomplishments are done with partners and stakeholders, but BHA works mostly in the policy realm. So instead of some of the hang your hat on a piece land type projects, its more of a grassroots mobilization of voters, citizens, local residents, to make their voices heard or support/fight against a certain piece of policy.

For instance, The Montana Wildlife Federation was at the table with MT BHA for nearly all the same issues this year at the Montana Legislature (143, 505, and 607 were some of the more well known bills). I wouldn't say one group deserves more credit than the other, they both used their membership/lobbying/marketing or some combination of to get word out about these bills and then provided a way for people to provide comment and oppose. RMEF, MDF, WSF, NWTF, were no where to be found on most of those bills, basically BHA and Wildlife Federation lead that charge for hunters.

Here in ND, its been a very similar situation. There's been a number of bills in the last couple legislative sessions that have been trying to sell public land, build roads in non-motorized areas, transfer public land to the state (which has sold 75% of it's state land). Again, its basically been BHA and the wildlife federation tying to mobilize residents and fight against these bills. There was a bill that would have essentially strong armed the USFS through backroom political dealings to build roads on all non-motorized areas in the Little MIssouri National Grasslands (multiple attempts through bills and rider language). Basically the last 20% of untouched ground in ND and home to 38,000 acres of "Suitable for Wilderness" in the Badlands. That bill would have completely destroyed those designations. We're talking the best habitat for elk and Mule deer in the entire state. But RMEF and MDF were no where to be seen(not saying they don't do some good work in other areas). BHA lead the initiative to let ND residents know about these bills and provided an avenue for them to contact their representatives and oppose the bill. NDBHA met with Senator Cramer about these issues. BHA worked with the the wildlife federation on USFS managment plan revisions in a Draft SEIS here in ND. Again, a major management provision for the direction the USFS takes in managing FS land. Message me and I'd be happy to send you a copy of all the of comments we submitted for this and other scoping or plan revision public comment periods. But, It was BHA and the wildlife federation at the table, none of the other major conservation orgs were involved. This isn't to throw rocks at them, it's to try and highlight that there is a different role for these groups to play.

I'm not 100% up to speed on the details, but I believe the Colorado Chapter had some significant contributions into opening up 500k acres of Trust land in Colorado. There were of course other groups that partnered with this though and I believe this was a significant investment in time from all groups, a few years or more.

So, you have to change the lens you're using when comparing BHA to a group like RMEF, it's not apples to apples. Just to try and boil it down to a generalized and simple comparison. RMEF focuses on buying land/easements They've done that to the tune of like 8 million acres I think, so they've done good work. BHA focuses on policy and specifically policy that protects or affects the existing 640 million acres of public land that already exists.

Last edited:
I'm too busy to start laying down links for you but study up on the Horse Creek Conservation Easement in MT. 20k acres of perpetual public access that wouldn't have happened without BHA leading the way and pushing it across.

This seems like a stretch to say.

In an opinion piece written by the ranch owners they don't even mention BHA: http://www.choteauacantha.com/opinion/article_bfd0d6a0-8a0b-11e8-a37c-27e174405386.html

If they were so instrumental, you'd think they'd have gotten a mention?

brocksw

WKR

Here's a couple links for a broad overview. Again, you have to remember, half the of chapters for BHA are less than 3 or 4 years old. BHA is still very young. THese small chapters aren't going to hit 50 home runs a year. It's going to take time for them to build relationships, establish projects, policy knowledge, and start snow balling success. I know many of the chapters are saving money so purchasing easements and other access projects can become a reality. But again, it takes time. RMEF didn't buy 8 million acres in a couple years, its taken almost 40 years to get where they are. They have a little bit of a different model than BHA, so I wouldn't ever expect them to catch or even try to catch RMEF in terms of acres purchased.

I wonder how much time the Mods are spending on this thread....

Probably the same amount as the Memes threads
I'd say they're pretty busy, I just noticed my post was deleted.

Can't make fun of gelton. Noted.

brocksw

WKR

Schaaf

WKR
This seems like a stretch to say.

In an opinion piece written by the ranch owners they don't even mention BHA: http://www.choteauacantha.com/opinion/article_bfd0d6a0-8a0b-11e8-a37c-27e174405386.html

If they were so instrumental, you'd think they'd have gotten a mention?
I was a state chapter board member at that time that this was pushed through. Care to guess how many miles I put on my Tundra and how many nights away from home I spent during those 6 months trying to push that across?

Better yet, PM me and I'll give you the family and bios number and you can ask them for yourself how instrumental we were in getting across.

I was a state chapter board member at that time that this was pushed through. Care to guess how many miles I put on my Tundra and how many nights away from home I spent during those 6 months trying to push that across?

Better yet, PM me and I'll give you the family and bios number and you can ask them for yourself how instrumental we were in getting across.

I'm not calling into question any effort on your behalf, FWIW. I'm calling into the question the hypothetical scenario of what would have happened absent your effort.

BHA can go duck themselves. Meat eater and all the liberal trash they have brought into hunting has done way more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I think this article is a fair accounting on Land Tawney's upbringing and "principles" as applied to some of the arguments here....

Namely -

Phil Tawney, Land’s father, was the first attorney for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and a prominent early Montana conservationist; he also served as executive director of the state’s Democratic Party. Land was named for Land Lindbergh, a family friend and the third son of the aviator Charles. Land shot his first whitetail at 14, Phil smearing blood under his son’s eyes after the kill, “almost like war paint.” When Tawney tells me the story, he notes, “Teddy Roosevelt had done that to one of his sons.”

Before his death, Phil had launched Montana’s first sportsmen’s political action committee, called Montana Hunters and Anglers. Land took over in 2009. He started on the state level and later moved on to national races, always supporting Democrats. At the time, Tawney was frustrated with the lack of moxie among hunting groups. “Hunters are complacent,” he says. “And hunters and anglers are conservative. Have they traditionally voted around the Second Amendment? Yes.”

Btaylor

WKR

Here is one we have been involved with for the last year. Our chapter is just barely a year old as well.

wapitibob

WKR
We're supposed to believe that because Tracy Stone-Manning made a shitty decision and sign off on an Earth First Letter when she was 23 and in college is the worst thing imaginable and should disqualify her from this nomination.

We aren't supposed to look at the fact that she was one of the key people that was able to secure congressional wolf delisting in the Simpson-Tester Rider for Idaho and Montana.

Or the fact that she was the main writer of the Rocky Mountain Front Heritage Act of 2012.

Or the fact that she was the head of Montana DEQ when Montana approved the Black Butte Copper Mine at the headwaters of the famed Smith River.

Or the fact that she was instrumental in removing the Milltown Dam that has been vitally important in rejuvenating the Blackfoot River fish populations.

I'm glad that she will be in front of the Senate and able to answer questions for the bad decisions she made in college having questionable friends. As for me I will judge her for the actions she has taken in the 30 years since. Good on BHA for being outspoken in their support.

Informative post, and now I have a clear picture of what she's done.

thank you

Many in the upper level in BHA are involved in gun bans. You see banning guns opens up more access to public lands. Are you too dumb to understand this? Please attend more pint nights!!!!
I’m not a BHA fan, might want to re-read my posts. I don’t drink so the pint night reference was in zest to those that brag about BHA pint nights.

I have drawn tags on RMEF facilitated acquisitions and used many access points provided by the efforts of RMEF. I’ve gotten NOTHING from BHA except emails of them trying to attach their names to others works. They defined themselves after bears ears and how they held hands with Patagonia in a unified lieing message to general public about Bears Ears.

As far as lobbying I’ll send money to SCI

BHA is NOT about protecting hunting, conservation or access, as defined by their pass board members, fundraising and political posturing.

that’s pretty much all.
Going back to the thread, I don’t think she is right fit for the BLM, especially if you believe in a multi-use methodology.

If someone has same methodology as BHA, as in no ranching, no minerals, no timber, no access, then she is perfect candidate for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.