Bi pod recomendations

chas

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys who use bipods, what type are you using or recomend?

I am a big fan of the one on my buddies rifle. He hauls it for the hike in and out and I just borrow it and slap it on my rifle when its my turn to shoot. ;)

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a big fan of the one on my buddies rifle. He hauls it for the hike in and out and I just borrow it and slap it on my rifle when its my turn to shoot. ;)

That's the best kind of bipod right there!

Check out versapod if you get a chance, they are a little pricey but a great bipod and offer a slick mounting system.

http://stores.versapod.com/-strse-87/150-dsh-108-Stock-Embedding-Spigot/Detail.bok

They have a BIG variety of bipods to choose from, I just love the mounting system.

Last edited:
The Atlas bipods are the very best in the industry. But they are also out of my price range, which is why I run a Harris... ;)

Mike

I like the stoney point ones. They make model (I can't remember what it is called) that clips in and out of a small female piece you attach to your front swivel stud. The reason I like them is that you aren't stuck with a bipod on your gun all of the time.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the stoney point ones. They make model (I can't remember what it is called) that clips in and out of a small female piece you attach to your front swivel stud. The reason I like them is that you aren't stuck with a bipod on your gun all of the time.

I also use the Stoney point on occasion--- it packs up small and lightweight, and Goes on and off the rifle quickly. My only gripe is with the female piece that attaches to the swivel....it's sharp and likes to snag shirts and jackets. Luke and I each have a bunch of clothes with holes now courtesy of the little attachment point, and it's a hassle to put on and off the rifle.

***edit, I realized I was tired when I posted last night. What I have is the snipe pod, which is similar to the Stoney point in attachment. It folds up like tent poles to fit in my jacket pocket, which is really handy. The sharpness of the attachment point still remains and issue

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I run the Stoney Point Rapid Pivot prone model. Ultralight, and surprisingly effective in the field.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
My first post here. I've been using a set of Bi-pod Shooting Sticks for 3 years now and really like them. They are light weight, easy to use and attached to a backpack or belt easily. The main reason I like them is that they do not permanently attach to your rifle so you can use them on multiple rifles. Here is a like to their website: http://www.bipodshootingsticks.com

Whisky

WKR
Harris 9-13, swivel, smooth legs....

Had an Atlas. I absolutely hate it, and have traded it to my gunsmith for some work.

Harris 9-13, swivel, smooth legs....

Had an Atlas. I absolutely hate it, and have traded it to my gunsmith for some work.

Wish I would've known about that! I've had the pleasure of using an atlas a few times and have nothing but good things to say about them. The ability to move/swing and pre-load it really is what sets it apart in my mind.

Mike

Whisky

WKR
Wish I would've known about that! I've had the pleasure of using an atlas a few times and have nothing but good things to say about them. The ability to move/swing and pre-load it really is what sets it apart in my mind.

Mike

Hey Mike, the ability to pre-load is, IMO, the only good thing about that bipod. I really liked that, and that was the main reason for my purchase. But IMO the negatives outweigh that (and price). For the range it is a fine bipod. For hunting situations, not so much. They are a PITA to adjust leg height when you're behind the rifle prone, and they are fairly slow to deploy compared to a Harris. They are too short for hunting in any amount of snow, when the bipod sinks down a bit. Guess I just prefer the simplicity of a Harris smooth leg, for hunting anyways.

I've only used them in competition and from shooting prone long distance. I know that the leg adjustments were not as easy as the Harris but everything else I liked better.

For the price point and typical field conditions I think you are right in that the harris is just as good if not better for quick adjustments and getting a little more height. I've been using the notched leg harris and find that the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of ability to 'pan' on it.

Mike

Jay Kyle

FNG
I've used Versapod and dropped them - too heavy and sloppy - now using Sinclair Tactical on the 338 Edge, not bad but a little loose. What sets it apart is the wide stance, but still compacts down (sort of).

In my mind here's the one to keep an eye on http://www.lraccuracy.com/. Underslung like a Sako - wide stance - and way out front. They have better pictures on their facebook page.

For light weight it's hard to beat a Harris. If I were to change it I would widen the stance.

For longer grass I've used a SnipePod and it was effective. This year I'm testing a tripod mount, though don't hold out too much for it, and my pack to see if it can replace a bipod.

Last edited: