Bibs vs Pants

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a newb. Looking to get some wool camo, and the bib overalls look intriguing. I'm wondering if the straps would cause interference issues with backpack and bino straps?
Any input welcome.
Thanks!

Randle

WKR
I found it was #2 business is where the straps got in the way.
When I used them back then bino harness was a crooked horn bouncy one so no real interference

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer bibs over pants with my cold weather camo, but pants for warmer weather. Bibs help keep the core warm, and do not allow the wind to blow down the back of them when sitting. When the weather is warm, the wind doesn't bother, and obviously don't need the insulating properties of bibs. Not once have straps ever caused me an issue.

Welcome. IMO Bib thing was alien to me until I started hunting the Northeast for deer. The advantage is basically putting an extra layer on your lower core and cutting the chance wind blows up your back/crack. Think pants + the lower half of a vest = more warm in your front chest and kidneys. I guess if you were over your waist in snow then it might help too. Disadvantage is going #2 and they are a bit more restrictive in movement.

I honestly think you can replicate the warmth with careful layering. I have a 20 year old down vest that still gets used regularly for just that purpose when I don’t want bibs. I also find I don’t like walking long distances or with a pack wearing mine.

for me, if i am mobile I prefer pants. If I am going to sit still for long periods in the cold I like my bibs.

pro tip: for my use (walk in to a stand or blind and put bibs on) and also for layering underneath, I sized mine up. I can throw them on over a fair bit of clothing when I get to my stand and also layer puffies under them as needed for more warmth.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
How are you hunting? backpack hunting or stand hunting? If I was doing any kind of mobile hunting no way would I use bibs. Too hot and too much of a hassle when you need to pop a squat. In a deer stand or blind I'd choose bibs over pants for warmth and wind protection.