Bicep Tendon Repair Recovery

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
I previously posted about my November 2019 bicep tendon tear and the slow and painful recovery.

Since this is an injury that is not uncommon, especially for males between 35 and 60 years old, I would like to provide a few words of my non-expert advice on rehab and post-injury training.

I followed my orthopedic surgeon and his team's rehab regimen to the T. Started out only being able to lift three pounds once the cast came off. Wore the removable brace as ordered and then started slowly increasing weight. I am now fully recovered though my bicep looks a little funky, but whatever. After three months I could lift/curl 15 lbs again.

One of the best exercises I used was Farmers' Carries. Taking dumbells or kettlebells and walking on a track. I am not a big guy, only 150 lbs and mid-fifties in age, so I am not carrying very heavy weights. But I can carry 30lbs in each arm for 4/10 of a mile at this point without stopping. The extension of my repaired arm by using this exercise greatly helped me get full function and movement out of the whole arm. It wasn't part of the surgeon's rehab program but a trainer friend recommended it to me for the injury. Farmers carries also stopped the weird nerve zings I was getting down the top of my forearm where they drilled and reattached the tendon through my right forearm.

I avoid curling heavy weights, and focus on lean muscle arm strength. I can shoot my bow now without difficulty and the arm seems stronger that it was before the injury. I feel lucky that I had access to some home gym equipment and weights when COVID hit because I was forced to train/rehab at home starting in March 2020. Not ideal for me but doable.

And if you were wondering how I tore the bicep tendon....I was reaching into the back of my truck to get a set of straps to tie down a whitetail buck I had just dragged out of the woods. The box got stuck under a duffel and I pulled too hard with my arm extended facing upward. Sounded like a one inch twig snapping.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Good tips on recovery. Thanks for mentioning the farmers carry. I never heard of it, googled it, and am going to incorporate into my training.

Thanks

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I did mine a few years ago. Had surgery in April, was pulling 70# by August. Right-handed, right arm tear. I am lucky to have a home gym. I used an exercise band a lot. Expect the repair to be quite achey for a year or so.

Rob5589

WKR
I tore mine in 2009, lifting a pumpkin from the garbage can. Yeah, I know, even the ortho doc said I needed to come up with a better story. It took about a year to be 100% in the range of motion. Strength wasn't the issue, it was the rotation of the forearm that took a long time.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I tore the long head completely off. Never felt pain and at 54 can still curl a complete rack at the gym. Never lost any strength. Dr said it was something they’d do to cure chronic but it is sometimes. Felt there’d be not much strength loss. There wasn’t but I’ve lifted for over 40 years now. What kind of tear was it that affected you like that?

I had the same injury last year a month before the season started. I haven’t done much with farmers carry, but that is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm reviving this dead thread.

Tore my tendon at the elbow.
I have 2 versions of the story. The first one is that I was pleasuring my wife....The 2nd one is that I was being punished for doing home projects for my wife.. The moral of the story is that you shouldn't do things for your wife..

I was putting in stone countertops 2 weeks ago and had some help at that time. It was a 2 man piece. Lifted and was just about into position to set it in its final resting spot but i needed to reposition my holding hand so i grabbed and started lifting with the right hand. As soon as i started lifting with the right hand, there were 3 very large pops and i quickly lost all strength in my right arm. Forearm swelled up immediately. But we got the stone in place without breaking it. having surgery tomorrow.
Based on recovery time, bow season is a no go for me unless i can get my hands on a crossbow

Good tip on the farmers carry. I'm very familiar with the exercise. I can see how it would be good for getting the full stretch of the bicep