Biden announces proposed gun control measures

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Just joined GOA as well! Never donated a dime to any gun lobbying organization but feel now is the time to at least feel like I'm doing something!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kda082

WKR
Locally it’s getting slim where I can purchase ammo. Walmart nope, Dicks nope. Ban online sales and we’re screwed. Not like there’s any to be found now.

That's the same statement that's been there the entire campaign? I thought they meant there was an actual announcement that he is putting a law forward to be discussed today...

The house has already brought 8 bills up for discussion on the floor since they have control compared to 1 stimulus bill...so we know where their heads are at. Worst one so far is HR 127. But showing it as top priority for him as well before even taking oath wouldn't be great.

What bills are they? I'd like to check them out

BuzzH

WKR
Thanks to Justice Scalia.

The Obama admin certainly tried but were stymied by the gun lobby (us) and several gun lobby organizations.

Now is not the time to rest on those laurels...we have to stay active and united to maintain what we have (and try to regain what we've lost in the 80's nationally)
Scalia signed the legislation in question into law?

Lou Sid

FNG
Here is what Biden has announced that directly impact gun owners (2A) and hunting:

On his website, "Pres. Elect" Biden announced plan to:
1. Ban "assault weapons"
2. Ban "high capacity" magazines
3. Ban private transfers between friends and acquantances
4. Tax gun and ammunition sales
5. Ease restrictions on "red flag" laws, making it easier to confiscate guns based solely on accusations
<Edit:>
6. Limit gun purchases to 1 per month
7. Prohibit anyone who has misdemeanor conviction of "hate" or "bias" from purchasing firearm
8. End the so called "Charleston loophole" which limits background check wait period to 3 days
9. Ban anyone with arrest warrant from purchasing ammo or guns
10. Ban online sales of ammo, firearms, kits, gun parts
11. Grants to states to setup gun registration and licensing requirements

In case anyone doubts the veracity of the list above, here is the direct link to his website: https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

<end edit>

See: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/bi...-cannot-beat-citizen-gun-lobby/#ixzz6jdVhWhjL

Please, stand together as gun owners and lobby your elected officials (and support some 2A lobby groups financially).

Edit 2: Removed today as date announced.
Looks like some good common sense regs to me. I support this. Nothing here prevents me from buying guns for any sort of hunting or personal defense.

Remember, 2A has always been restricted. We cant buy rocket/grenade launchers and other types of high end war type weapons. Fully automatics are pretty hard to get your hands on legally. Assault style semi autos are a grey area between war and hunting/hobby/sport use. Classic bolt action rifles will always be easy to get.

I've heard the "dems are gonna take away my guns" for 20 years and literally nothing ever changes. Here come posts saying oh but it's a slippery slope you just watch here it comes they restrict mag capacity and next thing you know the government is coming for my 30-06 lol

Mikido

WKR
Looks like some good common sense regs to me. I support this. Nothing here prevents me from buying guns for any sort of hunting or personal defense.

Remember, 2A has always been restricted. We cant buy rocket/grenade launchers and other types of high end war type weapons. Fully automatics are pretty hard to get your hands on legally. Assault style semi autos are a grey area between war and hunting/hobby/sport use. Classic bolt action rifles will always be easy to get.

I've heard the "dems are gonna take away my guns" for 20 years and literally nothing ever changes. Here come posts saying oh but it's a slippery slope you just watch here it comes they restrict mag capacity and next thing you know the government is coming for my 30-06 lol
I agree with most statements in this post, but you have to make a stand somewhere. With time, a kid will use his grandpa’s 30-06 semi in school, then those will be next.

The freedom/safety balance is a subjective bias that can easily be influenced by media. While I don’t have a need for a pistol grip black semi, I’ll make the fight now so my hunting equipment isn’t targeted in the near future.
For those active in the gun community in the 90’s, what were peoples reactions to the auto ban?

Geewhiz

WKR

Your kidding.....right??

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Really? Sounds like you are not familiar with California Laws. California Penal Code 32310 was struck down at the district court and this was upheld in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in Duncan vs. Bercerra. In effect, the law is now unenforceable. A MAJOR fail for the people looking to reduce magazine capacities. If California pushes that (and they haven't since October 2020) then it will go the to US Supreme Court and then they will be screwed because the Supremes with a 6-3 majority conservative will uphold the lower court's. This then will find that all laws in all of the states that look to ban "Large Capacity Magazines" would be held invalid.

Try not to spread misinformation to scare people, there has been enough of that already in this thread in particular and then gun community in general.
Can you buy a 30rnd mag in a gun store
In California right now?? Last time I checked
No! We had freedom Week where it was opened up before it was reinstated. When it was overturned as you stated there was a stay put in place to keep someone from purchasing in California.
Maybe you should understand California laws before you spout off on something you don’t understand

DuckNDove

FNG

Sounds great until they raise their gun and ammo tax so High you cant afford it. Why not just move to California where we already have many of these "common sense" laws in place. Its heaven over here no violence or any problems. We even have a fancy hand gun roster to make it easier to pick out a new hand gun, because the options are so limited.

npm352

WKR
Your favorite hunting ammo will now be availible sometime in February 2024...maybe.

npm352

WKR

Do you like the idea of a being simply accused of something and losing your guns with no due process?

Do you agree with the proposal that if your background check gets "delayed," past the current three day limit, say a year from when you try to purchase your bolt action rifle the federal government has no obligation to let you purchase?

What constitutes a "hate" or "bias" crime? Pretty soon it will be a hate or bias crime to not publically apologize for being white or not posting a black square on your Instagram once a month.

But let's just trust that they have our best interests in mind...

Jbehredt

WKR

Ignore button is getting a workout with these political threads!

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR

Autos, suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns (and others) weren't regulated until the National Firearms Act of 1934. So, no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

To my knowledge, there has been only one challenge to the NFA of 1934, namely United States v. Miller.

See https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/307/174/

Summary, some feller by the name of Miller had a short barreled shotgun that wasn't registered (tax stamp) as required by the newly implemented NFA of 1934. He was arrested, went to court...all the way to the SCOTUS. Alas, he died before it was argued at the SCOTUS.

As part of the decision, the majority (who ruled for the government) stated that:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.

Essentially, because no one argued/showed that a sawed off shotgun was relevant to military operations, it was deemed eligible to regulate.

If anyone had the fortitude to show that sawed off shotguns were relevant to the military in WWI trench warfare, the decision would have gone the other way.

The understanding of "militia" in the 1930s was exactly what many have argued for in recent years (that is, if the military infantryman has it, then so should the citizenry).

Up until 1986, it was legal to ship firearms through the mail (without the need of an FFL).

Up until 1986, it was legal to purchase a new automatic firearm (with tax stamp).

See Firearm Owner Protection Act of 1986. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/99/s49/text

The 2A wasn't passed in the Bill of Rights to protect hunting, or home defense, alone.

So no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

There is nothing "common sense" about these proposed restrictions.

All those Biden gun agendas may be pursued but that’s IF he actually is inaugurated. My perspective is that’s very unlikely.

Going to be alot of police looking the other way, as they realize who is on their side. Us or them

4ester

WKR
I hate it when people joke about losing all their firearms in a boating accident. Grow a pair.

These colors don’t run. Stand up for our second amendment. I own plenty and won’t just roll over. My representatives are pro-2A. But we need to write those on the fence.

Honestly I think if they try to pull 1/4 of those changes, we will have a civil war on our hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Traveler

WKR
Sigh...another thread that started out well about engaging your elected representatives in a way that will actually matter is crashing and burning....

gbflyer

WKR
Autos, suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns (and others) weren't regulated until the National Firearms Act of 1934. So, no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

To my knowledge, there has been only one challenge to the NFA of 1934, namely United States v. Miller.

See https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/307/174/

Summary, some feller by the name of Miller had a short barreled shotgun that wasn't registered (tax stamp) as required by the newly implemented NFA of 1934. He was arrested, went to court...all the way to the SCOTUS. Alas, he died before it was argued at the SCOTUS.

As part of the decision, the majority (who ruled for the government) stated that:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.

Essentially, because no one argued/showed that a sawed off shotgun was relevant to military operations, it was deemed eligible to regulate.

If anyone had the fortitude to show that sawed off shotguns were relevant to the military in WWI trench warfare, the decision would have gone the other way.

The understanding of "militia" in the 1930s was exactly what many have argued for in recent years (that is, if the military infantryman has it, then so should the citizenry).

Up until 1986, it was legal to ship firearms through the mail (without the need of an FFL).

Up until 1986, it was legal to purchase a new automatic firearm (with tax stamp).

See Firearm Owner Protection Act of 1986. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/99/s49/text

The 2A wasn't passed in the Bill of Rights to protect hunting, or home defense, alone.

So no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

There is nothing "common sense" about these proposed restrictions.

It is still legal to ship long guns through the mail without an FFL.