Biden announces proposed gun control measures

Laramie

WKR
Not ?ing the #'s. Just curious how abortion and the 2a get mixed up. I know, guns and abortions both kill People.
It's frustrating that people blend all issues together. Guess that's cnn politics.

Abortion is a hot topic but doesn't hold a candle to our gun rights.

BuzzH

WKR
As in previous threads, Obama didn't sign it into law. Bush Jr. ( to which I have a low regard for) EO'd it. Obama just didn't zap it. Believe it was riding on another bill.
You sure?

Obama signed only two major laws that address how guns are carried in America, and both actually expand the rights of gun owners.

One of the laws allows gun owners to carry weapons in national parks; that law took effect in February 2012 and replaced President Ronald Reagan's policy that required guns to be locked in glove compartments of trunks of cars that enter national parks.

Another gun law signed by Obama allows Amtrak passengers to carry guns in checked baggage, a move that reversed a measure put in place after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
You sure?

Obama signed only two major laws that address how guns are carried in America, and both actually expand the rights of gun owners.

One of the laws allows gun owners to carry weapons in national parks; that law took effect in February 2012 and replaced President Ronald Reagan's policy that required guns to be locked in glove compartments of trunks of cars that enter national parks.

Another gun law signed by Obama allows Amtrak passengers to carry guns in checked baggage, a move that reversed a measure put in place after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
It wasn’t for lack of his trying to regulate...this is one of the criticisms of his administration by anti-gunners.

BuzzH

WKR
It wasn’t for lack of his trying to regulate...this is one of the criticisms of his administration by anti-gunners.
Yet there's a clear phobia of giving credit when its due. He signed 2 laws that expanded gun rights.

Reagan passed gun regulations that reduced gun rights, that doesn't get talked about much for some reason either...

Carry on...

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Am I mistaken, or was 1986 during the Reagan administration?
Yup.

But there really is more to the story.

1. The FOPA was originally very good legislation as its primary purpose was protecting Gun owners traveling between states, due process, etc.

2. It was backed by the NRA

3. Literally, in the middle of the night, Democrats snuck an amendment onto the bill which banned autos. The vote was taken by voice, the democrat running the show declared the “ayes have it” even though it was reported that it was obvious they didn’t. Objections calling for roll call vote were rejected. The amendment passed.

4. Reagan signed it

See https://www.usacarry.com/full-auto-ban/

As an aside, please refrain from the personal attacks on this thread. I want this to be an opportunity for civil discussion and learning, not jabbing at each other. Thanks.

Rokbar

WKR
You sure?

Bush administration moves to allow guns in national parks ...grist.org › article › blazing-addle
Not trying to argue Buzz, but Believe Jr. beat the Pharaoh to the punch. Now how in the world will a firearm in your baggage help you protect yourself. Might as well put a rock in your pocket! The 2A is precious, treat it accordingly.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Yet there's a clear phobia of giving credit when its due. He signed 2 laws that expanded gun rights.

Reagan passed gun regulations that reduced gun rights, that doesn't get talked about much for some reason either...

Carry on...
It isn’t just about what was passed.

In 2013 Obama and democrats pushed for an assault weapons ban. It didn’t pass due to the immense pressure exerted upon Congress, primarily led by NRA.

Then there was the Social Security ban on firearms.

Almost forgot about confiscating weapons from military members struggling with emotional issues or PTSD.

There was no due process for the SS and military confiscation.

There’s much more that he was doing for Gun control...it’s there if you’re willing to see it.

Edit:

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR

Carry on...
Buzz, generally respect your posts and your opinion but I'm confused what agenda you are pushing here? Obama was vocal about his position and struggled to accomplish what he wanted. Why defend that?

BuzzH

WKR
Buzz, generally respect your posts and your opinion but I'm confused what agenda you are pushing here? Obama was vocal about his position and struggled to accomplish what he wanted. Why defend that?
You apply stick and carrot equally...when appropriate, some savvy that, some don't and why we're in the mess we are on nearly every issue.

We cant praise the other team for anything they do right, and we cant scold our team when they do wrong.

Doesn't work.

BuzzH

WKR
Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Where do you find the time? Do you believe that following it or talking about it makes a difference? Such energy and effort, have you seen any results from all that?

brsnow

WKR
Where do you find the time? Do you believe that following it or talking about it makes a difference? Such energy and effort, have you seen any results from all that?
Taking the time to understand is less of an issue than expending emotion speculating.

gbflyer

WKR
Under very limited circumstances.

1. Between Gun manufacturers and owner ( assuming repairs)
2. Between you and licensed gunsmith (similar to FFL)
3. Can mail to yourself c/o someone else (e.g. for hunting trip, etc)

I’m not aware of any other circumstances... please enlighten

Non need to enlighten, you’ve got it. I am not you’re enemy. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Sid

FNG
Autos, suppressors, short barreled rifles/shotguns (and others) weren't regulated until the National Firearms Act of 1934. So, no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

To my knowledge, there has been only one challenge to the NFA of 1934, namely United States v. Miller.

See https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/307/174/

Summary, some feller by the name of Miller had a short barreled shotgun that wasn't registered (tax stamp) as required by the newly implemented NFA of 1934. He was arrested, went to court...all the way to the SCOTUS. Alas, he died before it was argued at the SCOTUS.

As part of the decision, the majority (who ruled for the government) stated that:

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.

Essentially, because no one argued/showed that a sawed off shotgun was relevant to military operations, it was deemed eligible to regulate.

If anyone had the fortitude to show that sawed off shotguns were relevant to the military in WWI trench warfare, the decision would have gone the other way.

The understanding of "militia" in the 1930s was exactly what many have argued for in recent years (that is, if the military infantryman has it, then so should the citizenry).

Up until 1986, it was legal to ship firearms through the mail (without the need of an FFL).

Up until 1986, it was legal to purchase a new automatic firearm (with tax stamp).

See Firearm Owner Protection Act of 1986. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/99/s49/text

The 2A wasn't passed in the Bill of Rights to protect hunting, or home defense, alone.

So no, the 2A hasn't always been restricted.

There is nothing "common sense" about these proposed restrictions.
But I think that is part of the debate today....should the public have the right to carry all the same weapons as the military infantryman? Hell a little bag of weed is illegal but hey go grab a few ARs and start blasting. Just saying it's a reasonable debate to have.

Laramie

WKR
You apply stick and carrot equally...when appropriate, some savvy that, some don't and why we're in the mess we are on nearly every issue.

We cant praise the other team for anything they do right, and we cant scold our team when they do wrong.

Doesn't work.
I follow you but that wasn't their publicly advertised agenda. Maybe that's my problem... I still try to take people at their word. Trying hard to keep an open mind.