Biden announces proposed gun control measures

Pulling this back in...a bit.

strong indications that Biden is planning a raft of executive orders day one. No indication (so far) that gun control is among them. IMO he is going to be calling In all his favors on pandemic and economic relief early on and won’t pick a big 2A fight that might antagonize dems in the middle of that.

I would expect to see some smaller administrative action around low hanging fruit. executive orders or departmental policies on pistol braces, etc. upgraded to background checks. semi autos and high capacity magazines becoming NFA items (requiring registration with waived fees). They will save the bigger fights - bans, ammo tax, ammo limits - for later in the administration.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at the history of the "classic bolt action." Primary weapons of war prior to semi autos. They are still used to this day, as weapons of war.

For context; here in Kalifornia these long range "sniper rifles" have caught the eye of some politicians.

They have been using the term "weapons of war" for the last few years. They want all semi autos, your duck/quail gun will be illegal same for your 10/22 or your defensive pistol. Lets say the get what they want and a wacko uses the same bolt action you use to deer hunt with, They will come for those too.

def90

WKR
The people that think that hunting rifles will never be touched are out of their minds. Semi-auto “assault weapons” are low hanging fruit, even though they account for less than 1% of all firearms deaths they are an easy pass for them. They know that the general public can be lied to and will generally probably go along with it with very little repercussions. They will be grandfathered at first, then once another shooting or two happen they will then be confiscated. Once they are gone the next step is everything else. It would only be a matter of time before someone puts themself in to a bell tower with a bolt action hunting rifle just like the University of Texas shooting in 1966 when a shooter with a hunting rifle killed 18 people. Then there will be a push for bolt action rifles to go as well.

Pretty much everyone on the anti-gun side has been quoted at some point in time that the final objective is that ALL firearms will be illegal. Just look at the terminology that has been used over the years. It started with “assault rifles”, it then morphed in to “assault weapons”, now the term being used is “semi-auto weapons”, the point being that each change in terminology also encompasses an ever larger pool of firearms. They are willing to play the long game and if they aren’t stopped now it’s simply a matter of time before it’s all gone.

As far as actions go.. it will be “common sense” laws such as universal background checks. They know they are still a little vulnerable due to the loss of house seats so they won’t push buttons or go for the big moves until after mid terms.

Last edited:
I think if you look bigger picture, the object is to stay in power. In order to continue to be elected, both sides pander to their bases about the various boogeymen out there, most of them imagined.

Ask yourself, what is the next move after a sweeping and final legislative effort to solve any problem? It doesn't matter if you want more guns, less guns, more weed, or less, more china or less. Sure, there's fundamentalists on both sides, but there's also a bunch of money. The "issues" are carrots that lead us all to the polls.

The system they exist in is designed to maintain the status quo. That is: to transfer wealth from us to corporations as fast as possible. Rock that particularly big boat and you'll find yourself swimming, as we have seen.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just look at the terminology that has been used over the years. It started with “assault rifles”, it then morphed in to “assault weapons”, now the term being used is “semi-auto weapons”, the point being that each change in terminology also encompasses an ever larger pool of firearms.
They use whatever terms gets them the most political impact. When the term "global warming" got too much scrutiny, they had to come up with "climate change" instead.

But the bottom line is.......an armed populace is a problem for a tyrannical government, so they have to bite off whatever they can......whenever they can. That's why they've been chipping away at this for decades. They're playing the long game, but it all ends the same way. We have plenty of historical examples of this.

gbflyer

WKR
I think if you look bigger picture, the object is to stay in power. In order to continue to be elected, both sides pander to their bases about the various boogeymen out there, most of them imagined.

Ask yourself, what is the next move after a sweeping and final legislative effort to solve any problem? It doesn't matter if you want more guns, less guns, more weed, or less, more china or less. Sure, there's fundamentalists on both sides, but there's also a bunch of money. The "issues" are carrots that lead us all to the polls.

The system they exist in is designed to maintain the status quo - that is to transfer wealth from us to corporations as fast as possible. Rock that particularly big boat and you'll find yourself swimming, as we have seen.

How dare you bring reality into this delusion

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I read like 3 posts on this thread and what came to mind is..

Paranoia = characterized by delusions of persecution, unwarranted jealousy, or exaggerated self importance. It may be a aspect of chronic personality disorder, drug abuse, or a serious condition such as schizophrenia in which a person looses touch w reality....

I got the same number of ar’z laying in my gun case that I had before Obama was inaugurated. Maybe shot them 2x in the past 15 years..

OR I am willing to bet anyone on this thread a case of beer the good old govt takes 0 in the next 4 years.

Real payin bet. Any takers??
All well, fine and good for you.

But I'm betting folks in CA don't have the same AR-15 as you (or me), and the CA gun control model is what the dems want to roll out to the rest of the country.

Arkansas currently bans SBRs.

Your utopia of CO currently bans machine guns.

CT bans "assault weapons" (whatever those are) and semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines.

DE bans suppressors and machine guns and "high capacity" magazines

Well, the list is long. See https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/banned-guns/

The purpose of this thread isn't about discussing gun confiscation per se, but more generally about preventing further loss of current rights and the regaining of rights we should have.

Hoodie

WKR
Pretty much everyone on the anti-gun side has been quoted at some point in time that the final objective is that ALL firearms will be illegal.
This is a pretty bold claim. I can't argue whether or not that's secretly what they want, but quotes? "Pretty much everyone"?

Let's see some of these total ban quotes. Seems like saying stuff like that might be bad for someone's re-election campaign.

Even if they wanted a total ban, why on Earth would any of these politicians be up front about it? It seems like that would be directly counter to their efforts to lull people into a false sense of security so they could push them down that slippery slope you mentioned.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
All well, fine and good for you.

But I'm betting folks in CA don't have the same AR-15 as you (or me), and the CA gun control model is what the dems want to roll out to the rest of the country.

Arkansas currently bans SBRs.

Your utopia of CO currently bans machine guns.

CT bans "assault weapons" (whatever those are) and semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines.

DE bans suppressors and machine guns and "high capacity" magazines

Well, the list is long. See https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/banned-guns/

The purpose of this thread isn't about discussing gun confiscation per se, but more generally about preventing further loss of current rights and the regaining of rights we should have.

I genuinely appreciate the fact that you've consistently noted misinformation and "What Ifs" in this thread. You have pretty much exclusively stuck to mentioning specific pieces of legislation/direct statements and proposals from politicians that support your stance. That's how discussions like this should happen.

I think your statement that most democrats would be in favor of nation-wide regulations similar to those in CA is probably accurate. If you're a person who cares about the right to concealed carry, that alone should be enough to argue on.

There isn't really a need to imagine dystopian scenarios where citizens face off against their own military to keep an oppressive regime from completely disarming them.

You can just say "I think people should have the right to concealed carry a firearm for personal protection."

Or "I don't think the perceived societal downsides of AR-15s being legal are enough to warrant banning them."

Or "I think the Constitution explicitly states that the government has no authority whatsoever to determine what sort of weaponry I'm allowed to own."

There's plenty of reasonable people who tend to discuss this issue that way. But there's also a lot of "Wolverines!!!!" people.

The Wolverines are the people I think the NRA is counting on to bankroll Wayne LaPierre's clothing allowance. I say that acknowledging that they are without a doubt the most effective gun lobbying org in the US. Puts people between a rock and a hard place.

Rob5589

WKR
They have been using the term "weapons of war" for the last few years. They want all semi autos, your duck/quail gun will be illegal same for your 10/22 or your defensive pistol. Lets say the get what they want and a wacko uses the same bolt action you use to deer hunt with, They will come for those too.
Not too many years ago ex California governor Brown failed to sign a bill that would have required every semi auto long gun to be registered as an "assault weapon."

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Imagine if you had to have a permit for your first
Amendment?
Heck, at this point........I'd take a permit if that's what it would take. At least then we'd still have a hope in having that ability to speak our free minds. At this point "free" speech for conservatives is dwindling as fast as our debt is rising.

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in disbelief members of Rokslide are rationalizing some of this stuff. Scares the hell out of me...unless they’re trolls placed here by the states of CO, MN, CA, and OR. If this group can’t agree we’re in bad shape, so I’m gonna assume paid trolls.

So anyway, who’s up for reprogramming? It’ll be fun! Like a summer camp, right?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's a bunch of Rino's that need it, they've become way too liberal and way too comfortable in their positions.

It's like military officers.......they all seem to start out as logical thinking folks and then every move upward they get sent off to new reprogramming schools and training and come back brainwashed. About the time all that starts to wear off and they're coming back to normal, they get sent off to another reprogramming and the cycle continues. By the time they reach flag ranks, it's too late for them.......there's no hope......they're fully gone. I know.......I was one. But I'm so stubborn their reprogramming attempts failed on me. But then you get to a point where it's just not all that much fun being around illogical zombies, so it's time to punch out. A similar thing happens in Congress with their longevity.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I’m in disbelief members of Rokslide are rationalizing some of this stuff. Scares the hell out of me...unless they’re trolls placed here by the states of CO, MN, CA, and OR. If this group can’t agree we’re in bad shape, so I’m gonna assume paid trolls.

I'm not really...many are staunch BHA loyalists. One thing I can tell you in my part of MN we aren't rationalizing it.