Biden announces proposed gun control measures

I don´t think he´s advocating a Marxist worldview. He mentioned the horrific outcomes of state run agriculture in a previous post. He also called the Constitution a work of ¨other level genius.¨

That´s just a quote from James Madison. It says what it says. Real life is complicated. We can put historical figures on a pedestal all we want. It doesn´t change reality.

Thomas Jefferson wrote some of the most eloquent quotes on liberty of all time. The dude was also a slave owner.

It´s not dangerous to acknowledge that. It´s probably dangerous to ignore it.

FWIW I agree with you in general about the US Constitution and the great men who produced it. But I can do that and still acknowledge they weren´t perfect.
He said it was written by powerful, rich, men who were attempting to protect themselves from the rest of us by appointing the first senate not by electing it. When you call something "biased" it implies that it isn't truly valid. And when you question the validity of one of three branches of government, I'm going to take issue with that.
At best, that post is a logical contradiction with his previous posts and at worse is the beginning narrative of those who wish to abolish/modify the constitution on the grounds that it was written by a guilty identity group (The rich and powerful). And that's Marxism. Proletariat vs Bourgeoisie. Oppressor vs Oppressed. Us vs Them. Rich vs Poor. Its an immoral ideology at any level but especially at the governmental level.

The only way you can find fault with what Madison said there is if you look at it through a Marxist lens. And I don't. He was warning against mob rule. Just because something is voted on by the majority doesn't mean it is moral or right. He literally says we need a check and balance between those in rural areas (landowner farmers) and those large populations in the cities that can out vote them. It wasn't an admission of some kind of power grab. Its how the electoral college came to be. Madison made mistakes, but this wasn't one of them. .

Okhotnik

WKR
I don´t think he´s advocating a Marxist worldview. He mentioned the horrific outcomes of state run agriculture in a previous post. He also called the Constitution a work of ¨other level genius.¨

That´s just a quote from James Madison. It says what it says. Real life is complicated. We can put historical figures on a pedestal all we want. It doesn´t change reality.

Thomas Jefferson wrote some of the most eloquent quotes on liberty of all time. The dude was also a slave owner.

It´s not dangerous to acknowledge that. It´s probably dangerous to ignore it.

FWIW I agree with you in general about the US Constitution and the great men who produced it. But I can do that and still acknowledge they weren´t perfect.
And it should be noted that our new VP comes from a slave owning family with 1/2 the IQ of Jefferson. And she has instituted some pretty racist and facist policies.

Lou Sid

FNG
I'm attempting to have meaningful conversation/debate. If you prefer to make ridiculous comparisons you'll have to do that on your own.
I was pointing out that just because something is popular doesn't make it right.

Lou Sid

FNG
@rsimo555 isn't worth engaging here guys. Look at his post history, clearly not here to discuss hunting or shooting.
You're somewhat correct. This is a great site I frequent alot for hunting info. The ignorance turns me off and sometimes I cant help but chime in. Just trying to add some "independent" perspective and debate all sides rather than be closed minded to everyone who has a different opinion.

Hoodie

WKR
He said it was written by powerful, rich, men who were attempting to protect themselves from the rest of us by appointing the first senate not by electing it. When you call something "biased" it implies that it isn't truly valid. And when you question the validity of one of three branches of government, I'm going to take issue with that.
At best, that post is a logical contradiction with his previous posts and at worse is the beginning narrative of those who wish to abolish/modify the constitution on the grounds that it was written by a guilty identity group (The rich and powerful). And that's Marxism. Proletariat vs Bourgeoisie. Oppressor vs Oppressed. Us vs Them. Rich vs Poor. Its an immoral ideology at any level but especially at the governmental level.

The only way you can find fault with what Madison said there is if you look at it through a Marxist lens. And I don't. He was warning against mob rule. Just because something is voted on by the majority doesn't mean it is moral or right. He literally says we need a check and balance between those in rural areas (landowner farmers) and those large populations in the cities that can out vote them. It wasn't an admission of some kind of power grab. Its how the electoral college came to be. Madison made mistakes, but this wasn't one of them. .

I get what you´re saying here as far as the slippery slope goes I guess.

I do think you can take issue with the idea that elections might not be open to ¨all classes of people¨ without needing to view the issue through a Marxist lens. Mob rule implies that the mob itself is ruling, whereas limiting access to elections is preventing a ¨mob¨ from democratically electing an official to represent their interests.

I might be misinterpreting Madison there, but if that´s what he meant, I find fault with it. And I´m not a Marxist.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I was pointing out that just because something is popular doesn't make it right.
Could that not be said about many things? There are plenty of people that abhor hunting. Should it be legal, just because it is popular with millions of people? Does anyone really need to hunt?

Lou Sid

FNG
Could that not be said about many things? There are plenty of people that abhor hunting. Should it be legal, just because it is popular with millions of people? Does anyone really need to hunt?
Yes some people actually do need to hunt, not very many these days, but some do need to. Also theres a need for wild animal population control. On the other hand there is no need for an AR with a 50 round mag.

NDGuy

WKR
Found a great Pastrami Recipe. Awesome to use on big rear quarter cuts.

The cure

-5 tbsp tender quick
-4 tbsp dark brown sugar
-3 large bay leaves
-1 tsp of all spice
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp of anis seeds
-1 tbsp montreal steak seasoning
-2 tbsp coarse ground pepper
-1/2 tsp ground clove

Mix all together in grinder/blender and coat all of the meat evenly, rub it in. Place the meat in a zip lock bag and lay flat in the fridge, rotating 2x per day for 1-2 weeks depending on how strong you want the flavor.

After the meat's time out, remove from bag and rinse it good in cold water and leave in a water bath at room temp for 2 hours. Pat dry and then put on the 2nd rub which is below.

Final Crust Rub:

-1 tbsp garlic powder
-1 tsp of paprika
-1 tbsp mustard seed (whole)
-1 tbsp coriander (whole)
-1 tsp of dark brown sugar

Put in smoker for 3-4 hours at 200 degrees, target temp of 150-155. Remove from smoker and let rest at room temp. Then put in ziplock and put in fridge for 24 hours to firm up. Slice as this as possible and enjoy!

mdtennant

Lil-Rokslider
When you call something "biased" it implies that it isn't truly valid.
Sorry, that is categorically incorrect. Calling something biased simply means it has a slant. It does not invalidate it, but rather indicates that it is positioned from a point of view. At it's basic and fundamental core, a bias is merely a preference... and to be perfectly fair, every single one of us has a bias.... good, bad or indifferent. There is no way around that.

By the logic you are following, a hunter stating that hunting serves a conservational purpose would be considered biased by an anti- due to the vested interest of the hunter in preserving the ability to hunt and consequently invalid, yet we both know that hunting does serve a conservational purpose to some extent and is therefore a valid statement regardless of the bias the hunter has towards preserving the ability to hunt.

They are two separate things... that's all.

That said, I do understand you taking issue with questioning the validity of government and agree.

From my perspective, Biden's position on guns is a problem and I feel he needs to go. The issue with that is the second and third in line are likely worse... if that is even possible.

Not sure how this will all play out, but I suppose we'll see.

mdtennant

Lil-Rokslider
Found a great Pastrami Recipe. Awesome to use on big rear quarter cuts.

The cure

-5 tbsp tender quick
-4 tbsp dark brown sugar
-3 large bay leaves
-1 tsp of all spice
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp of anis seeds
-1 tbsp montreal steak seasoning
-1/2 tsp ground clove

Mix all together in grinder/blender and coat all of the meat evenly, rub it in. Place the meat in a zip lock bag and lay flat in the fridge, rotating 2x per day for 1-2 weeks depending on how strong you want the flavor.

After the meat's time out, remove from bag and rinse it good in cold water and leave in a water bath at room temp for 2 hours. Pat dry and then put on the 2nd rub which is below.

Final Crust Rub:

-1 tbsp garlic powder
-1 tsp of paprika
-1 tbsp mustard seed (whole)
-1 tbsp coriander (whole)
-1 tsp of dark brown sugar

Put in smoker for 3-4 hours at 200 degrees, target temp of 150-155. Remove from smoker and let rest at room temp. Then put in ziplock and put in fridge for 24 hours to firm up. Slice as this as possible and enjoy!
Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry, that is categorically incorrect. Calling something biased simply means it has a slant. It does not invalidate it, but rather indicates that it is positioned from a point of view. At it's basic and fundamental core, a bias is merely a preference... and to be perfectly fair, every single one of us has a bias.... good, bad or indifferent. There is no way around that.

By the logic you are following, a hunter stating that hunting serves a conservational purpose would be considered biased by an anti- due to the vested interest of the hunter in preserving the ability to hunt and consequently invalid, yet we both know that hunting does serve a conservational purpose to some extent and is therefore a valid statement regardless of the bias the hunter has towards preserving the ability to hunt.

They are two separate things... that's all.

That said, I do understand you taking issue with questioning the validity of government and agree.

From my perspective, Biden's position on guns is a problem and I feel he needs to go. The issue with that is the second and third in line are likely worse... if that is even possible.

Not sure how this will all play out, but I suppose we'll see.
I'd have to disagree. I get what you are saying though.
Biased is considered a pejorative these days. And I'm pretty sure most would agree.

I think most would consider it: prejudiced or unreasoned thinking and therefor flawed.
If someone says that "website X is biased." It carries a negative connotation.

I don't think I've ever heard having a bias being described as a positive trait or even a neutral one. Even if that may be the case.

MattB

WKR
I don´t necessarily think it´s helpful to shut the conversation down, which is basically what I´d be doing if I just boiled down my stance to ¨Yeah, but the 2A.¨
In being brief, I was imprecise. When my liberal aunt argues gun control and that "you can still have the guns you hunt with." I do not feel need to make an articulate argument as to why I feel guns that are not used for hunting still deserve 2A protection. I think it is fair to point out the current SCOTUS opinion on the 2A and ask her why she thinks that her opinion is more valid than the SC's - and that she supports that opinion.

This is not a game of guilty until proven innocent.

Rokbar

WKR
As I suspected, the term "arms" was designed to describe items that a person would use, in his hand, to defend themselves. I'm okay with that list. Musket hunting is certainly easier than hunting with my bows... ;)

It's particularly enlightening that they had the term ordnance at the time, but chose not to use it in the 2A.

Personally, I consider any semi-auto weapons designed for warfare, to in fact be "ordnance" and not "arms."
I remember people hunting with garands and 30 carbines. Thats what they had. I'll let them know they were wrong.

In general the more educated people become the less common sense they have. I'm different in that I'm STUBBORN and I jumped onto the hard science/engineering train because I wanted a GOOD paying, secure career. I've got three degrees, one is a MS because I was so insecure and NEVER wanted to go back to school again. I'm a highly analytical, critical thinker, a real world problem solver. If a mature registered civil engineer like myself can't apply my education, or is a fool he is worthless. Education is PRICELESS, however education without commonsense, and wisdom or being a fool negates all or most of that knowledge. Purple, undecided gender, underwater basket weaving education is worthless. The irony is I also went into science and engineering because I didn't like people and thought I wouldn't have to deal with them and was COMPLETELY wrong. I think it's fate.
Very well said.