Biden announces proposed gun control measures

A HUGE problem is that colleges have been in a sort of arms race to attract kids to their college for all the wrong reasons. To have a GREAT time, and many colleges have become like Expensive RESORTS. Down the road about a couple of miles is San Diego State University that I have a BS in Geology, a BS in Civil Engineering, and an MS in Civil Engineering. In the 90s there were three cafeterias on campus for 30,000 students. The food was adequate, but the choices were slim. The recreation offered was very slim. It was and is a party school. Back then the Fraternities threw the parties and the dominant social club. Now, there are hundreds and hundreds of new dorm rooms and many luxurious new dorm buildings. There is a huge new recreational center. It is more of a resort now. This is one of the reasons colleges have become so expensive is because many have become LUXURIOUS RESORTS. Watch Ivory Tower, it will make you very MAD!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Tower_(2014_film)
Struggle is a part of youth, and to deny them that takes away a growth opportunity. No one needs a fancy dorm room. Class, library, work, time with friends, is where a kid should spend the majority of the time at school.

Anyway, we're off track. Let's get back to arguing!

Billinsd

WKR
She was a local politician her in the Bay Area for 15 years or so. Made her way intonpoliticalnoffice after sleeping with a married Willie Brown.

My presumption is you have been familiar with her for less than a year and predominantly bases on her cleansed presidential run. We've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Mostly the latter two.
You have more experience living in the Bay than others including me, living in San Diego.

The word to differentiate Kamal and Bernie, and AOC is that Bernie and AOC are TRUE IDEOLOGUES. Hard core, true and true.

I don't believe Kamal has a soul. True, she was the 3rd most liberal Senator after Bernie and Pocahontas, however, she will do ANYTHING for POWER!! I was watching on Bill O'Reilly and he said Kamal was a tough prosecutor in the Bay Area early in her career and tough on crime. Kamal slept her way up in California with a married man. I believe she is much more vicious, mean, and dangerous than any other powerful Democrat in the country. However, Kamal will move to the center for power, whereas Bernie and AOC will never do that. Bill

87TT

WKR
Has anyone here been divorced? If you look at most divorce papers, there is a section with Mutual restraining orders on both parties not to harass strike threaten etc. to the other party. The DOJ in CA under Harris was using those "restraining orders to take guns from otherwise lawful gun owners. Even though the had committed no crime. That's why these "red flag" laws are so popular to them.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Has anyone here been divorced? If you look at most divorce papers, there is a section with Mutual restraining orders on both parties not to harass strike threaten etc. to the other party. The DOJ in CA under Harris was using those "restraining orders to take guns from otherwise lawful gun owners. Even though the had committed no crime. That's why these "red flag" laws are so popular to them.
Wow!

Any articles or analysis discussing this? I've never heard this...

Hoodie

WKR
LOL. It's been a week.

This morning on NPR they were discussing whether the planned 10k student loan forgiveness is enough or if it really needs to be 100% for people of marginalized communities.

My big take away: How the Flak does a couple rack up $200,000 in student loan debt for a bachelor's and a master's? Really, they must have financed their entire lives for the duration of their education and now expect someone else to pay for it. And they will. Along with all kinds of other payouts.

Don´t look at it as a ¨week¨ then. Look at it as a single data point.

That data point being the issue of Covid relief. What does paying attention to how this is playing out tell us about the Biden administration in real life? What they say is one thing. Iḿ more inclined to pay attention to what people, especially politicians, do.

There is overwhelming popular support for $2k checks. I believe it was the deciding factor in the Georgia runoffs, which handed Biden´s party control of the Senate. The progressive wing of the Democratic party has pushed loudly and repeatedly for measures as extreme as $2k checks monthly. Meanwhile most Republicans (not all), and more moderate Democrats like Joe Manchin, have advocated for more targeted relief, means testing, etc.

Biden has been more than willing to play ball to appease those Republicans, despite having vocal support from several, including Marco Rubio, for immediately passing $2k checks.

If progressives were running the party, he´d be ignoring Republican concerns and going in the polar opposite direction.

I just don´t see how that isn´t relevant to the discussion of what we can expect from him.

Last edited:
OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
There is overwhelming popular support for $2k checks. I believe it was the deciding factor in the Georgia runoffs, which handed Biden´s party control of the Senate. The progressive wing of the Democratic party has pushed loudly and repeatedly for measures as extreme as $2k checks monthly. Meanwhile Republicans, and more moderate Democrats like Joe Manchin, have advocated for more targeted relief, means testing, etc.
So it has finally come to this...

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”​

― Benjamin Franklin

87TT

WKR
Wow!

Any articles or analysis discussing this? I've never heard this...
Heard it from friends in LE. Wasn't talked a lot about in the "media". They were looking at court records to find anyone with a restraining order on them. They wanted local LE to help them. About the time they got caught breaking the law that they were supposed to delete any DROS (dealer record of sale) on rifles and shotguns after a year. They hadn't been and got caught using the records. They quickly got about changing the law. Now you basically have a registration of long guns in CA.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Heard it from friends in LE. Wasn't talked a lot about in the "media". They were looking at court records to find anyone with a restraining order on them. They wanted local LE to help them. About the time they got caught breaking the law that they were supposed to delete any DROS (dealer record of sale) on rifles and shotguns after a year. They hadn't been and got caught using the records. They quickly got about changing the law. Now you basically have a registration of long guns in CA.
Everyone expects to pay when they go through a divorce, but as an attorney representing California gun owners for over 30 years, I can tell you that a divorce may cost you much more than money. For example, California gun owners can temporarily lose their ability to possess, purchase or receive a firearm; additionally a judge can order the surrender or sale of firearms you already own. California gun owners ending a non-marital relationship face the same dangers.

brocksw

WKR

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”​

― Benjamin Franklin
"This notion that you can just send checks out to everybody and things will be fine is not true, obviously. Some people have this absurd view that the economy is some magic horn of plenty. That it just makes stuff. The good and services just come from this magic horn of plenty. Let me just break it to the fools out there. If you don't make stuff.....there is no stuff. If you don't make the food, if you don't process the food, if you don't transport the food. There's no food. You can't just legislate these things. "

-Elon Musk

Hoodie

WKR

― Benjamin Franklin

Oh yeah, Iḿ not even a little surprised by the overwhelming support for $2k checks.

Now when the federal government makes the call to shut the economy down and deny people the right to earn a living, I think the issue becomes somewhat murky. But the fact remains that if politicians are famous for doing anything it´s pandering to stay in power.

Biden is basically cooperating with Republicans against his own political interests. Really against the political interest of even moderate Democrats at this point.

No one has come close to satisfactorily explaining how he can both be a puppet of the progressive wing of the party, and be handling this issue the way he is, right now, in real time.

If anything, he is actively screwing progressives. The day before the Georgia runoffs he promised ¨that money will go out the door immediately to help people who are in real trouble.¨

Then $2k became $1400. Now there is talk of means testing to further lower the amount, etc. and the administration can´t commit to even mid to late March (when the unemployment plus-up expires) as a timeline.

This isn´t even a little surprising to anyone who knows anything about his career in politics.

Biden is much closer to Romney than Sanders.

And if he keeps this up, the Democratic party is going to lose the Senate come midterms.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
Oh yeah, Iḿ not even a little surprised by the overwhelming support for $2k checks.

Now when the federal government makes the call to shut the economy down and deny people the right to earn a living, I think the issue becomes somewhat murky. But the fact remains that if politicians are famous for doing anything it´s pandering to stay in power.

Biden is basically cooperating with Republicans against his own political interests. Really against the political interest of even moderate Democrats at this point.

No one has come close to satisfactorily explaining how he can both be a puppet of the progressive wing of the party, and be handling this issue the way he is, right now, in real time.

If anything, he is actively screwing progressives. The day before the Georgia runoffs he promised ¨that money will go out the door immediately to help people who are in real trouble.¨

Then $2k became $1400. Now there is talk of means testing to further lower the amount, etc. and the administration can´t commit to even mid to late March (when the unemployment plus-up expires) as a timeline.

This isn´t even a little surprising to anyone who knows anything about his career in politics.

Biden is much closer to Romney than Sanders.

And if he keeps this up, the Democratic party is going to lose the Senate come midterms.
I'm sure all the crazies are out there claiming the blue state governors purposely shut down their states to force people onto government assistance...

Isn't that crazy? :unsure:

Well, maybe the recipients can buy some guns and ammo (if they can find some).

Fatcamp

WKR
It depends on the college they went to. I took my daughter to Stanford about a year ago for a long weekend trip and Stanford is $75,000 a year for a Bachelors. Closer to home UC San Diego, or UC Irvine, or UC Santa Barbara is about $37,000 a year for residents. I'm budgeting at LEAST $500,000 for both my kid's education, because I want them to have zero college debts. My wife's friend's son in law racked up $150,000 for a law degree.

LOL. That's good stuff. Hope those degrees are actually worth something.

Hoodie

WKR
I'm sure all the crazies are out there claiming the blue state governors purposely shut down their states to force people onto government assistance...

Isn't that crazy? :unsure:

Well, maybe the recipients can buy some guns and ammo (if they can find some).

Well if they want people on the teat, they sure are being stingy with it. Pelosi and Schumer both backed a bill at one point with zero checks for consumers.

That said, I like where your head´s at :) I don´t trust any of these people further than I could throw them.

These Democrats are corporate shills. They´re basically moderate Republicans who know that pushing identity politics earns them brownie points with the ¨woke¨ crowd.

Biden is much the same. He backed the 2005 bankruptcy bill. He´s been in bed with credit card companies since time immemorial, and he´s largely responsible for the student debt crisis he claims to be able to fix.

Calling him a Communist is insulting to Communists.

WCB

WKR
Well if they want people on the teat, they sure are being stingy with it. Pelosi and Schumer both backed a bill at one point with zero checks for consumers.

That said, I like where your head´s at :) I don´t trust any of these people further than I could throw them.

These Democrats are corporate shills. They´re basically moderate Republicans who know that pushing identity politics earns them brownie points with the ¨woke¨ crowd.

Biden is much the same. He backed the 2005 bankruptcy bill. He´s been in bed with credit card companies since time immemorial, and he´s largely responsible for the student debt crisis he claims to be able to fix.

Calling him a Communist is insulting to Communists.
Not that I don't necessarily agree that Dems are moderate Republicans however I think many on both sides played the game for a long time. The problem with the Dems is they are eating their own and it will only get worse. They have pandered and created a "woke" following that has surpassed the Dem politicians' wokeness.

The base on the left has been pushing harder and harder to the left and now that the base is taking a stand on some of these policies I think the Dems in Goverment are going to have to vote that way unless they want to get voted out by a even more left leaning candidate.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I wrote in an earlier thread about FDR court packing threats leading to a "cowed" and compliant court...

Now we'll see Biden addressing the likely recommendations of:
1. Adding additional justices
2. Mandatory retirement age
3. Term limits for Supreme Court justices

pmikulski

FNG
Here is what Biden has announced that directly impact gun owners (2A) and hunting:

On his website, "Pres. Elect" Biden announced plan to:
1. Ban "assault weapons"
2. Ban "high capacity" magazines
3. Ban private transfers between friends and acquantances
4. Tax gun and ammunition sales
5. Ease restrictions on "red flag" laws, making it easier to confiscate guns based solely on accusations
<Edit:>
6. Limit gun purchases to 1 per month
7. Prohibit anyone who has misdemeanor conviction of "hate" or "bias" from purchasing firearm
8. End the so called "Charleston loophole" which limits background check wait period to 3 days
9. Ban anyone with arrest warrant from purchasing ammo or guns
10. Ban online sales of ammo, firearms, kits, gun parts
11. Grants to states to setup gun registration and licensing requirements

In case anyone doubts the veracity of the list above, here is the direct link to his website: https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

<end edit>

See: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/bi...-cannot-beat-citizen-gun-lobby/#ixzz6jdVhWhjL

Please, stand together as gun owners and lobby your elected officials (and support some 2A lobby groups financially).

Edit 2: Removed today as date announced.
If Congress was to actually ban "assualt rifles", what would happen to all the rifle currently in use and enjoyed? Any ideas?

I wrote in an earlier thread about FDR court packing threats leading to a "cowed" and compliant court...

Now we'll see Biden addressing the likely recommendations of:
1. Adding additional justices
2. Mandatory retirement age
3. Term limits for Supreme Court justices

I don't know that I support any type of reform....but I've often thought about the age thing. I mean, I love my dad, but at 81 years old, I don't know that he should have the reigns of the country's future.

Rokbar

WKR
LOL. It's been a week.

This morning on NPR they were discussing whether the planned 10k student loan forgiveness is enough or if it really needs to be 100% for people of marginalized communities.

My big take away: How the Flak does a couple rack up $200,000 in student loan debt for a bachelor's and a master's? Really, they must have financed their entire lives for the duration of their education and now expect someone else to pay for it. And they will. Along with all kinds of other payouts.
One would think these poor students would have tried the GI bill to help pay for college. Yea, right!