Biden announces proposed gun control measures

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I don't know that I support any type of reform....but I've often thought about the age thing. I mean, I love my dad, but at 81 years old, I don't know that he should have the reigns of the country's future.
Everyone's different...some need to go at 65...others at 85.

I'm with you, I don't support any reform (although I detest the hangers on who try to retire in a particular party's WH occupation)

Billinsd

WKR
LOL. That's good stuff. Hope those degrees are actually worth something.
LOL, the BS and MS in civil sure are!!!! The BS in Geology was my first and by FAR HARDEST!!! It paved the way to engineering, since my specialty in geology was geophysics. I'm most proud of my geology degree. It was hardest and the teachers were the best and the hardest.I took, I think 50 units or about 17 engineering classes only to get my BS in Civil. I didn't have to take any math, physics, chemistry, or even programming for the Civil degree, because I took them in geology. My MS was pretty easy, I think 10 or so graduate classes, and a 3 hour graduate exam in lieu of a Thesis. I'm educated as a scientist and engineer. I associate and am an engineer professionally. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have gotten the geology degree, I'd rather have gotten into the work force sooner. However, the geology degree compliments civil engineering. Yes, I have reoccurring nightmares of college. Jesus it was freaking traumatic for me!! All I ever wanted was a good career!! I've spent the last 30 years in shock therapy trying to get normal!!

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL, the BS and MS in civil sure are!!!! The BS in Geology was my first and by FAR HARDEST!!! It paved the way to engineering, since my specialty in geology was geophysics. I'm most proud of my geology degree. It was hardest and the teachers were the best and the hardest.I took, I think 50 units or about 17 engineering classes only to get my BS in Civil. I didn't have to take any math, physics, chemistry, or even programming for the Civil degree, because I took them in geology. My MS was pretty easy, I think 10 or so graduate classes, and a 3 hour graduate exam in lieu of a Thesis. I'm educated as a scientist and engineer. I associate and am an engineer professionally. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have gotten the geology degree, I'd rather have gotten into the work force sooner. However, the geology degree compliments civil engineering. Yes, I have reoccurring nightmares of college. Jesus it was freaking traumatic for me!! All I ever wanted was a good career!! I've spent the last 30 years in shock therapy trying to get normal!!

LOL. As a recent nursing graduate I understand PTSD.

I had no doubt your degree was worth it, you seem pretty solid from what I have seen of you. I was referring to degrees in general from those schools who charge that much money. Many of them will never lead to an occupation with the income potential to pay back that investment.

My ex-girlfriend financed a master's in social work she doesn't use. Gonna take decades to pay it back.

Billinsd

WKR
LOL. As a recent nursing graduate I understand PTSD.

I had no doubt your degree was worth it, you seem pretty solid from what I have seen of you. I was referring to degrees in general from those schools who charge that much money. Many of them will never lead to an occupation with the income potential to pay back that investment.

My ex-girlfriend financed a master's in social work she doesn't use. Gonna take decades to pay it back.
A BS in mechanical engineering from San Diego State a couple miles away for about $7,000 tuition a year is a fantastic bargain!! A Liberal Arts Degree at Stanford for $75,000 a year for tuition, room, and board is not money well spent. I wouldn't spend $75,000 a year unless it was for a career in science, or engineering for the most part. I don't want my kids to borrow money. I believe in higher education, it's not for everyone, and it's not a right. I have a buddy at work and his daughter got a engineeing/management kinda degree at Stanford and got a job working for Goldman Sacks and then onto a small start up company. She lives in New York and makes a couple hundred grand a year. Everyone who takes a loan should consider how long it will take to pay it back. It's a personal decision, however I don't want to bail them out. I look at college as a means to a career, however, we do need the arts and liberal studies. However, those disciplines have too many students. The country desperately needs scientists and engineers!!!

Rob5589

WKR
And trades people. We did a disservice to our youth telling them that going to college for a 4 year degree was the only path. We need electricians, plumbers, diesel mechanics, etc. And those are good paying jobs with a path to the American dream.
Absolutely. I was a mechanic waaaay back, left the biz in 1992. We had masters at the dealership that were making 100k a year, in 1992. It is a solid job, well payed, well benefitted, and isn't going anywhere. And it is also considered "essential," which we are all too well aware of.

And trades people. We did a disservice to our youth telling them that going to college for a 4 year degree was the only path. We need electricians, plumbers, diesel mechanics, etc. And those are good paying jobs with a path to the American dream.
Agreed. If you had told me at that age that i could go get an instrumentation cert in 18 months then go into industry making 20 an hour just like that....Id have spent less time at a college. It all worked out, but I feel like I took the long way around.

A big part of the problem is making 17 year old kids decide what they want to do in life. I don't have the mind of a female, but I can tell you that at 17 many males are just looking to get laid and that's not a life goal. Lol.

I'm all for college, but going there to "find your passion" or to "decide what you want to do", or "just to get a degree, any degree" is cart-before-horse thinking.

they make a lot of money off of it though.

Rob5589

WKR
Agreed. If you had told me at that age that i could go get an instrumentation cert in 18 months then go into industry making 20 an hour just like that....Id have spent less time at a college. It all worked out, but I feel like I took the long way around.

A big part of the problem is making 17 year old kids decide what they want to do in life. I don't have the mind of a female, but I can tell you that at 17 many males are just looking to get laid and that's not a life goal. Lol.

I'm all for college, but going there to "find your passion" or to "decide what you want to do", or "just to get a degree, any degree" is cart-before-horse thinking.

they make a lot of money off of it though.
I'm trying to get my 21 y.o. to get his shit together. He wanted to get into the fire dept thing. I told him hell yes, get in early and retire in your forties. But he doesn't look that far ahead, like most of us at that age.

RS3579

WKR
The last gun control law was put into effect in 2019. The house and senate both controlled by republicans at this time. It was the bump stock being illegal. Failure to comply with the law (simply possessing one of these devices) is considered a violation of federal law. I’m not sure the democrats are the ones we have to worry about. That’s a pretty significant piece of gun control.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
The last gun control law was put into effect in 2019. The house and senate both controlled by republicans at this time. It was the bump stock being illegal. Failure to comply with the law (simply possessing one of these devices) is considered a violation of federal law. I’m not sure the democrats are the ones we have to worry about. That’s a pretty significant piece of gun control.
Can you point to the legislation to which you are referring...perhaps something passed by House and Senate?

Can you point to the legislation to which you are referring...perhaps something passed by House and Senate?

While the ban wasn't the result of any measure passed by congress, it was the outcome of a "regulatory review" conducted at the behest of a republican president, which was well within his authority to request. Which he only did to manage his ratings.

From the article:

"President Trump on Wednesday voiced support for confiscating guns from certain individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process rights.​

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time,” Trump said at a meeting with lawmakers on school safety and gun violence.​

“Take the guns first, go through due process second,” Trump said."​

These assholes are not our friends.

FLAK

WKR
Typical leftist hypocritical tactic, and LITERALLY straight out of their playbook: Blame others for what you have done.