Big Agnes Anvil Horn 15…is it enough bag?

gostovp

WKR
my son and I are planning a trip out west to CO this Sept. Likley a combo of truck camping and a spike camp if needed. I picked up a Big Agnes Anvil Horn 15 Wide Long and have a thermarest Neo Topo lux pad (3.7R)… now I’m second guessing this bag decision as I’m wondering if it will be warm enough.. when you start digging into reviews many people say the rating on this bag is way off … anyone have experience with this bag? ( I would say I’m an average sleeper, not to warm or cold, but Im large though the shoulders so I need a larger bag)

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I have this same bag, but the regular size. I used it last year with a Thermarest neoair xlite pad and had a nemo switchback pad under that for protection from sharp objects on the ground. The coldest it got on us was somewhere around 27-30. We did have a mr buddy heater we had on in the tent. I slept in my base layers and heavyweight socks. I did feel a little cold a few times but I think it was because I didn't have the bag closed up tight on top. But I definitely didn't feel miserable and slept relatively well. I do think the rating is likely off. This will turn into my archery season bag. I plan to spend the money and get a 0 degree Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag if I ever do another hunt in below freezing temps.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks for the response. I picked up a BA Raptide pad on sale this week ( 4.2 R with actual prima loft insulation) as I’m likely going to setup the Thermarest and my synthetic 0 degree bag at our truck camp, and keep my Anvil Horn and BA pad in my pack if we decide to spike. I probably could have gotten by with a Long instead of Wide Long for the bag, and hopefully that extra room in the bag doesn’t lead to cold spots.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't feel the need to try this but you could always use warm water in a nalgene bottle or some hot hands hand warmers thrown in the bag supposedly will generate a lot of heat. You can pick up a box of the 18hour ones on amazon. Also sleeping with down insulation layers on could help too, and I have thought about picking up some down slippers to sleep with as my feet tend to get cold.
Oh forgot to mention I also used a sea to summit I believe it was, sleeping bag liner. Mainly to keep dirt and oils off of the interior lining of the bag. But its also supposed to add a few degrees of warmth.

Yes. I’ve used with BA insulated AXL pad during second season elk spike camp. Worked well, nighttime was teens-mid twenties. I also carry a liner in case it gets colder… I sleep warm and hate sleeping in layers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. Sounds like I should be good to run it then.

Cliffy12

WKR
I have the 30 anvil horn and it was good for high country backpack hunt colorado. But it all depends on the pad. I stared with q slx and was cold when sleeping on that pad. I got the x therm and it was a game changer. No problems after using that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Even if most people only consider it a 30° bag it should be plenty warm into late September. Especially with a 3.7 R pad. My September bag is 30° rated and I use a very thin lightweight pad.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks. I picked up a BA Rapide which is 4.2 R. It’s actually a really nice pad and I seem to like it better than the Thermarest.