Big Agnes Anvil Horn 15

Wapiti23

FNG
I am considering getting this bag and and wondering if anyone is familiar with it and thoughts on it? Any info would be great!

I've been using it this year. Overall I have been satisfied with it. I really like the updated pad sleeve that allows you to use almost any pad. I have the long version (not the long/wide) and it is roomy enough for me (I'm a fat kid). Its fairly light for its size but I think the weight savings come at a loss of warmth.

My only gripe is that it doesn't seem to be a true 15° bag. I haven't really pushed it hard to see how cold I can take it, but it never seemed really toasty at cooler (35-40) temps. For 3 season camping in temps above 30-35, its great. If you want to take it down below freezing, look at the 0. IMHO, the BA temp ratings are really optimistic.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Big Agnes is pretty well known for bags that won't reach their rated temp by quite a bit. Other than that they are a very well made bag. If you want a true 15 degree bag I would get at least a 0, -10 would be better.

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
Ok I’ll have to take that into consideration. I’m looking into that 0-15 degree rated bag. What weight range should a guy try to stay in when backpack hunting in general? 2.7 lbs? For 3 day max hunts.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Anvil Horn 15 degree bag last year through September in temps into the low 20s and it worked great. Had a Big Agnes Q-Core XL Insulated pad under it. Everyone sleeps different but my experience with Big Agnes gear has always been very positive. You can always add a liner in-they don't weigh much and protect your bag. Big Agnes has a great selection of liners as well.