Big Agnes Blackburn UL 0 degree

Any thoughts on this bag from current users? I’m looking at purchasing it to use in elk 3rd rifle season in Colorado

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I nearly bought one this year but couldn’t get over all of the reviews saying it sleeps extremely cold. It’s too bad because on paper it looks like my perfect bag. I ended up with a S2S Ascent III.

Bearsears

WKR
I have one of the older ones without the flex sleeve on the back so it only holds a 20 inch pad. My experience has been mixed and Ive had it 3 years on multiple different hunts. I love that it stays in place once you have a pad in the sleeve and I love the pillow sleeve behind the hood. If you are a tosser its nice because it feels more like you are in a bed with covers. I dont think the bag itself is cold, if you look at the actual fill weight, its pretty high for the bag having zero insulation on the bottom. Where I think guys get cold is they dont pair it with a proper pad. You need a very warm pad with it especially for 3rd season rifle. For that use I would only go with either a thermarest xterm or an exped downmat. Think R value of 6 plus (from experience the kylmit numbers are off dont trust them for cold weather). This is where I ran into problems with the sleeve only excepting 20 inch pads, I need a wider pad so I was trying to get away with a z pad shoved in the sleeve and a insulated wider pad underneath. This never really worked well. The newest models have the flex sleeve so you can use a wider pad which solves this problem.

I ended up switching to a Stone Glacier 15 this year. Its a bit higher end bag for not too much more money but I wouldnt hesitate to run the blackburn with the new sleeve and a proper pad, my buddy is going to use mine this fall for 2nd rifle as a matter of fact (hes a smaller guy and a 20 inch pad works for him. I have really put mine through the ringer including slideing out from under my tarp and waking up to 3 or four inches of snow on the bottom half of the bag. I think its still a high quality mid range bag. Hope this helps let me know if I can answer anything else.

OP
Reloader77724
I love BA bags! It is the pad why one gets cold. I am using a Thermarest NEO (6.9 R) with mine now or a foam or liner on top of IAC BA pad helps. It is worth it to me as a side sleeper for a good night rest.
Thanks. It looks like I’ll be going with BA Anvile Horn 0 degree. REI has one in stock near me. I have a R-3.2 pad and going with a Nemo foam pad R-2. Thinking that should be enough.