Big Agnes Copper Spur HV2 Expedition and North Face Hyper Cat - My Opinions

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was researching both products earlier this year I didn’t see many people using them so I figured I’d add some input after a season.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV2 Expedition

Pro:
-extremely stable in the wind
-same exact dimensions of the beloved Copper Spur HV2 UL, it was tight but definitely livable with two adults
-huge burly stakes that DO NOT struggle for purchase in looser material
-beefed up poles from the regular Copper Spur which will break under heavy winds up here
-surprisingly very little condensation when vented properly
-warmest tent I've ever slept in when it's all zipped up
-easy color coded setup
-this is a capable tent for any season in AK

Con:
-it's heavy with a trail weight of 4 lbs 10 oz
-the roof vent faces the same side/direction that the doors are meant to open. It catches wind really bad when you open the doors.
-the doors can't be staked on either side without the zipper catching material, you can only stake on one side for smooth zipper operation. This ties into my complaint above.
-if they made the vestibules slightly larger it would make the tent that much better

Conclusion:
I'm typically a Hillegberg guy but I'll be keeping this tent around for years to come. It's not a tent for the ounce counters out there but I'm not that guy. After coming back to camp only to find my lightweight tent folded like a taco and laying in a creek bottom, I pack burly tents. With burly tents I can pitch in far more places without worry of changing conditions. This tent will handle everything but incompetence.

North Face Hyper Cat 20*

Pro:
-synthetic
-even in long length, it only weighs 2 lbs 1 oz
-it's warm when used properly....see below
-moves condensation amazingly well
-my pillow stays inside the mummy hood, no pillow rage

Con:
-if you roll over WITH the bag instead of IN the bag, there is no insulation on the bottom side and you are now laying on your only layer of insulation
-it's TIGHT for a 6'2" 210 lbs person
-not a fault of the bag really but I'm not sold on center zip, maybe if the zipper went lower I'd like it better

Conslusion:
Not a tremendous amount to say about a sleeping bag but here's my $0.02. This isn't a viable winter option but for early season hunts, I'll keep this bag around. I only ever got cold when I rolled over with the bag which put my insulation under me. When used properly I was plenty warm below freezing during the night. Each evening, I drug the bag out of the tent and glassed in it after the sun went down. It pulled moisture out of the tundra and wetted the outer material each time, however by morning the bag was dry each day. Super impressed with how well it moved moisture.

Other Notes
If you're wondering I use a Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow and Thermarest Neoair Xlite for a pad. All total my sleep system is a little less than 7-1/2 lbs which is perfectly acceptable to me. The tyvek tarp is 6'x8' and weighs less than 1 lb with small DAC stakes, I never leave home or camp without it.

Our typical arrangement on hunts.
fo20Yqp.jpg

The roof vent works really well to catch a breeze.
xKXFtsb.jpg

When pitched like this, vent pointing towards prevailing wind, doors staked to block prevailing wind, the zippers bind in the rainfly every single time. It's not practical to use them this way.
2FnQULQ.jpg

I really like the way the guyout lines pull from two different spots.
JqsAOBt.jpg

Couple other pics for good measure.
HoHxZho.jpg

vvOxlmA.jpg

KBUov8I.jpg

Last edited:
What made you want to go with this Big Agnes rather than a Rogen? I know your a Hille guy, so the cost couldn't have been a real factor. The fly first pitch of the Hille's, Kuiu Mountain Star and Big Sky Chinook would definitely put those at the top of my list. Just curious. Sheep season's over and we have a lot of time to geek out on gear before August 2020 haha.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
What made you want to go with this Big Agnes rather than a Rogen? I know your a Hille guy, so the cost couldn't have been a real factor. The fly first pitch of the Hille's, Kuiu Mountain Star and Big Sky Chinook would definitely put those at the top of my list. Just curious. Sheep season's over and we have a lot of time to geek out on gear before August 2020 haha.

Deal on the BA made it too cheap not to try and I love trying new products! I genuinely miss the fly first pitch though. We got into some bad weather that blew over the top of a ridge and caught us off guard. I couldn’t get the tent up fast enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at the big Agnes copper spur expedition and the hilleberg nallo3 gt. I see in one of your photos it looks like you guys had both of these tents. Are you able to tell me
How the BA compares to the hille. I know the hille is likely better but also almost twice the price and heavier

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m looking at the big Agnes copper spur expedition and the hilleberg nallo3 gt. I see in one of your photos it looks like you guys had both of these tents. Are you able to tell me
How the BA compares to the hille. I know the hille is likely better but also almost twice the price and heavier
If price is no object, I like the Hille better. The tunnel design and the vestibule are hard to beat. Fly first pitching keeps the tent dry setting up in the rain. It’s also impregnated with waterproofing in the fabric. The BA like all other tents is just a coating. The Hille is a lifetime tent with proper care.

The BA is what I’d call a budget Hille. Everything great about the Copper Spur design but burly. The few things I’d change I mentioned above.

What will you be using it for?

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that was fast!!

I will be using for sheep, elk and goat. I live in bc Canada and will be hunting mostly in souther bc but maybe once every 2 years in northern B.C. Hilleberg doesn’t have a dealer in Canada so I will have to buy in USA which is not a problem I live near the border. I will be buying the 3 person nallo or the 3 person BA so we have lots of room inside the tent

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow that was fast!!

I will be using for sheep, elk and goat. I live in bc Canada and will be hunting mostly in souther bc but maybe once every 2 years in northern B.C. Hilleberg doesn’t have a dealer in Canada so I will have to buy in USA which is not a problem I live near the border. I will be buying the 3 person nallo or the 3 person BA so we have lots of room inside the tent

I’d feel comfortable in either tent. If you’re planning on 30+ days a year in it I’d run a Hille. The BA wouldn’t stand up to guide level use for years on end.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I will be using 7-14 days a year I think. This is just for backpack hunts I hunt maybe 30-40 times a year but closer to home or Cabin