Big Agnes copper spur

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all

I have narrowed my search down to

Big Agnes copper spur expedition 3p
Or
Big Agnes copper spur UL 3p

My question is for people using the UL line of tents are they durable. Anyone have any trouble with the floor of the tents putting holes in it. Do most people use the foot print that BA sells? Is the UL fly and poles pretty decent or can I expect trouble if I get into heavy wind above tree line. The expedition is much thicker materials but it’s going to be 6lbs plus and the UL will be about 4 lbs with the foot print. Thanks for your help

wapitibob

WKR
I've used the ul3 for years with zero trouble. I just put a tarp under it for a ground cloth. I couldn't justify theirs however, if in hot weather, their cloth and fly make a great combo and they snap together.

Reading online I saw quite a few complaints of the UL buckling (not breaking) in higher winds, sometimes even just a 20mph wind had the tent in your face.
If you are planning to use it above the tree line in some weather, you might consider a more robust set up.
of course those with experience trump me every time, just relaying what I read online about it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nice tents, but not an above treeline shelter. Not designed for that. Buy their footprint no matter which one you go with, it's lighter, packs up to the size of a pack of cigarettes, and you can leave it attached if you want, or run it in fast fly mode. It is literally a 1/3 the weight of a piece of tyvek, I've done both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I have the UL2 and haven't had any problems but no experience in high winds. I own and have owned many UL tents of various brands and all are "fun" in high winds. Use all the guy lines and make them secure for best results. Tying off to large rocks worked best for me, tighten them by moving the rock.

The copper spur is my favorite tent with the side entry. Look up Nate Simmons. When he was with eastmans and now western hunter he used/uses a copper spur for his back country hunt.

I’ve used both the expedition and regular version and just use the regular version unless you are looking at a ton of snow. I’ll use mine all the way till it starts snowing up to treeline.

I’m using the bikepak version now with the shorter poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Is the expedition tent not worth it? Is the floor material more durable?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had the UL2, UL3, and UL4. Sold both the UL2 and UL3 and only have the UL4 now. I had my UL4 at 12k feet opening weekend of archery in 2014. The second night we had wind so bad that we couldn't sleep but the tent held up just fine. In the morning we had 2" of snow on the ground. That's the only real wind I've had it in.

wapitibob

WKR
Set my ul3 up in the flats when antelope scouting a few years ago. Right after dark we could hear a train coming, only there weren't any trains out there, It was a squall. Never been in anything like it before or since but the tent did just fine.

I have the hv ul3. I use it for 2 people and like the extra room and door on both sides. It has been a good shelter for us but have not had it in an exposed area in wind.

I bought a BA Copper Spur HV UL3 to use out west this year. I picked up the footprint as well and am planning on just using the footprint and fly.

Above the treeline I would use someth stronger than the UL (I have one). That's going to put you in Hillleberg red label territory, in which you can have absolute confidence in winds up to 60 mph or more. Split the load to carry. Worth the weight IMO.

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
The expedition model is more heavy duty the floor is the same thickness as the hille 70D. I like the 2 side entry door of the BA. I would
Buy the foot print for the UL but I don’t think it’s worth it for the expedition model

OP
J

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty much set to go on the copper spur UL 3 and I think I’m going to bite the bullet and spend a few more bucks for the foot print. Thanks for the help, Anymore thoughts on these 2 shelters would be helpful thanks

BA has come out with a new Copper spur hv ul model. I think it is mostly the rain fly/vestibule. Anyway I mention this because there are some great sales going on for the older model.

Love my BA tents (have three of them)... my UL2 is legit but I haven't scaled Everest with it.

Get a look on Expert Voice to see if you qualify for pro deals... you can get a nice discount if you do.

Tyee87

FNG
The copper spur is my favorite tent with the side entry. Look up Nate Simmons. When he was with eastmans and now western hunter he used/uses a copper spur for his back country hunt.

I’ve used both the expedition and regular version and just use the regular version unless you are looking at a ton of snow. I’ll use mine all the way till it starts snowing up to treeline.

I’m using the bikepak version now with the shorter poles.

Are you sacrificing any durability by using the shorter poles with more joints? Thanks

tommynealy

Lil-Rokslider
I camped in my UL2 this past weekend with “said” gusts up to 40mph and had no problems at all with using all the stake out points. When I was packing up I realized there was a 3” long stick poking up under my tent that I was sleeping on and it didn’t puncture the floor and I didn’t have a ground cloth under it. The durability of the floor did worry me but seems fine.